Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't have any firsthand experience but have heard and read the ride will be harsher with the 20 inch wheels because of less rubber/air for cushioning. I don't know this from experience but I'd probably go with the 18 inchers if for no other reason. I'm not sure what the load rating differences are.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:33 AM   #22
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
My 18 inch are Continentals rated at 3640 lbs at 80 psi.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:10 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I thought 4 inches higher was quite a bit and would require big adjustment on the hitch..Don't know if it would adjust that much..I would stay with the 18 inch wheels.I have been driving this 08, 6.4, F-350 CC,SB, SWD 4X4, 3:73 Diff all day..This is My first impression and it means nothing except to me. My first impression was that I was not all that impressed. I drove on the same roads at the same speeds that I drive my V-10 on.(not towing of course) At the end of today the MPG was reading 13.6...Now it only had @75 Miles on it this AM and @ 275 now. The V-10 does about that good. I will be generous and give the 6.4 1 mpg better. At todays fuel prices Gas 2.539 Diesel 2.979 1 MPG is not much (I am mentioning MPG because everyone does, I would not buy a motor with MPG as my primary reason to purchase.) It is very quiet for a diesel but comparing with the V-10 it is loud. It is quieter than the 7.3 and the 6.0 also the Cummings and Navstar, Duramax motors that I drive.. but it is defiantly a diesel. To me compaired to the V-10 it is sluggish and I noted a bit of turbo lag..not bad though.Did not notice any difference with the SWD in terms of Stability..I am very tempted..if the numbers crunch..to go SWD.I like the looks of the all over truck..It is not all that different from the 05. There is nothing that would prevent us from purchasing the truck..If we decided to do so. This is not a Gas/Diesel thing.. I only compare because I have the V-10 and drove the 6.4 and I note the differences.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #24
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I have pulled a 5er with a srw (F350 PSD) and, after having a dually, would not go back to any brands srw. Got to park the dually in the back of Wally World's parking lot...but just can't beat them when hauling the Montana, and IMHO, it's worth what little hassle it is.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:17 PM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well Bert I agree with you and that is why I am in conflict with myself on the issue.Looking at the spec 's on the 08 SWD they are about the same as my 05 V-10 Dually. I will not compromise safety in any way nor will I exceed weight spec's in any way. I am maybe willing to sacrifice some stability for convenience. Using the dually as a every day driver for 112 days was ...well inconvenient to say the least.Pulling the 3400 for @7K miles was a non issue for the 05 Dually..smooth as silk..I am going to have to trade caravans with one of our local camping group members who pulls a Cedar Creek the same size as the 3400 with a SWD on our next campout and check out the difference??? There is always something.???
Old 04-04-2007, 03:34 PM   #26
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
I can only give you my opinion, but having towed my 3400RL more than 15,000 miles I have yet to come across a stability issue. That includes towing across the open roads of the Dakota's and Wyoming with side winds over 25mph, as well as in mountain passes over 10,000'. Just last fall I had a head wind of 35-40mph coming through northwestern Wyoming and still was comfortable driving with one hand. I look forward to your comparison review of your friends SRW vs. your DRW. As long as the new Super duty SRW can handle your pin weight, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how well these trucks handle the load.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:51 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am thinking that the stability issue is not as big a deal as some.Myself included make it. Glenn, The engineer that he is, Did a really good post on that not to long ago. The dually has to be more stable but a deal breaker...I don't know. When we purchased our T Vv , not yet being sure what camper it would be pulling, went as big as we could afford.. and covering all the basses..the dually.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:01 PM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't think there's any question that more rubber on the road means more stability. The question in my mind is that I have never had any kind of stability problem, ever, with my SRW towing fivers. So, to me, it's a solution to a problem I don't have. However, if I were towing livestock trailers with heavy beasts moving around in the trailer, I no doubt would appreciate a dually. And the dually will provide more payload capacity, for those who feel that's necessary in their situation. This all is just my opinion. Each has to decide for himself what is best for him. For our situation, a SRW meets our needs better.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:35 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Everyone is correct of course.I will attempt to make the comparison as best I can. I use the example of folks saying.. the new diesel motor is super quiet, can't hear it running. Well I can tell you that is not so. The V-10 is super quiet . Every diesel I drive sounds like a diesel..The 6.4 is quiet..but it makes diesel noise.If you drive a diesel or a SWD you tend not notice any difference..It's like the 3400 was plenty big enough for us till we returned to the stick house. Now it is clearly 400 sq feet and not as large as it was last week... It also noted on this trip more and more 18 wheelers using those extra wide single wheels..not duallies....hummmmm?????
Old 04-05-2007, 03:48 AM   #30
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have had several SRWs, as well as DRWs. There is no question the DRWs have much more stability than the SRW. Larger foot print, more rubber on the ground, means more control. More load carrying ability, more pin weight. As for the SRW towing the Montana's you see them by the hundreds everyday. I agree its hard to justify the DRW, they aren't going to be able to drive thru the banks, fast food places etc. But I don't normaly use the drive thru's and I really try not to park next to other Veh. just don't like the paint chips. But common sense will tell you the DRW are the safest TV for the heavy 5th wheels (my opinion).

As for the Class 8 trucks, over the road types. A large part of the reason is cost singles vs duals. Take a look at those singles they are as wide as duals in most cases. Keep in mind the tires still have to carry gross weight of 80,000 pounds and more. You can see the 1 ton trucks being singled out, I know of people who own the 4500 series by GM being singled out. Even in the 80's custom trucks owners were using single rear wheel in place of the duals, they looked great. Singles aren't new, have been used for a long time.

Being a X truck salesman, you always had to get the prospect in the Truck 98% of the time if they don't drive them they want buy. But if you tow heavy you had better go with the duals. On the other hand if you tow light the SRW works great. The Big Sky Montana gross weight is 800 lbs less than our Cambridge, don't know were the weight is in the BS. Oh buy what you want thats whats great about our country. GBY....

richfaa, enjoy your new Super Duty, and I hope you have many safe miles. I think the Super Duty will be a great TV.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:28 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Delaine and Lindy..I place great value on your "opinion" considering your experience. I also noted that the vast majority of trucks pulling the larger and heaver 5th wheels were duallies.I just did not care for the inconvience of driving that dually around on a daily basses..When I brought home the SWD yesterday Helen reminded me of why we purchased the dually and suggested I might want to go over that again. Drove it in snow today..yes snow..handles just as bad as the dually.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:57 AM   #32
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Rich, go to the Ford.ca website. Under build & price, you can compare any model 07 SD Ford to any model 08 SD Ford. I can't find this feature on the Ford.com site. Anyway you will see that the GVWR on identical model SRW trucks is unchanged but you will see that the 08s are almost 200 pounds heavier so in fact have less payload.
You can also compare Fords to the competition.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:52 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don..I have the "newest 08 SD brochure and the 07 as well and we did note the difference.. Think I will stay with the Dually and suffer the inconvience.. I will look at that website..thanks..I am very satisfied and impressed with the performance and MPG of our 05 V-10 on our @8500 mile trip. Yes it huffed and puffed a couple of times but kept the speed limit. I did not keep a mile by mile record of MPG but did check the tow MPG often Example the last leg from Atlanta, Ga to our driveway in Northeren Ohio Averaged 8.4MPG...TH mode , speed limit, all towing.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:41 AM   #34
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Rich, does your V10 use any oil towing? Mine does not use any at all and I can't hardly believe it. All my previous gassers and my last 3 PSDs all used some oil when towing hard and I believe this is perfectly normal. My big V10, she is such a sweetheart, even when pushing hard at 5000 RPM at times, uses no oil. I use the Motorcraft 5-20 which is what most of the guys over at FTE V10 forum use. This truck amazes me and I think I will stick with it until Toyota makes a diesel 1 ton. That will be a truck to check out for sure. Glad you had a safe trip and I wish you many more, Don.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:23 PM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did change oil and all filters twice in the 8500 miles we were out due to the extremely dusty conditions in the SW but the V-10 did not burn a drop of anything. We use the same oil and I would have no problem in holding on to this truck for a long time. The only reason I may go with a "good" diesel is...well ..I like new trucks..I never had a diesel of my own and ...I just want one.. When I drove the test 6.4 into the driveway Helen thought I had bought it..Just had to have your toy..said she..Then frowned because it did not have enough wheels..
Old 04-05-2007, 01:49 PM   #36
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, I had a 1999 F350 V10 that I purchased new. Oil/filter were changed at 3000 to 4000 miles and not once did I have to add oil nor was it even below the full mark when time to change oil. Same story with the 2003 6.0L diesel (5,000 mile oil changes). With this 2005 6.0L diesel I am using synthetic (Rotella T) and changing it and filter at 10,000 miles and it's the same story. It is always on the full mark and no oil has ever been added between changes. My prior 1995 F150 with the 5.8L V8 used about a pint between 3000 mile oil changes.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:54 PM   #37
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Good deal Steve. I am glad you have a good 6.0 I used Chevron Delo 400 15-40 in my PSDS and they would take a quart every 2000 miles which I felt was just fine. Today was our first nice warm sunny day and I had my windows down and my sun roof open sitting at a red light and a new 08 F350 6.4 went by , I could barely hear the engine and they are a sharp looking truck for sure. I hope Ford sells a million of them and they give great service and do Ford proud.