Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2006, 02:43 AM   #1
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Rope Safety Ladder

We have been toying with the idea of getting a collapible rope ladder of some kind in case of emergency and we need to vacate the bedroom in a hurry - it's a looooong way down - anybody know where we could get such an animal?

refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:00 AM   #2
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
refocused, I have looked at the so-called emergency exit and only hope I do not have to use it as an exit. It will be a last exit I would use. I would concentrate on keeping my smoke detectors up to date and in working order. Make sure your LP detectors are working, your carbon monoxide detectors are in working order. Quick warning will be the best asset for making an exit.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:04 AM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
refocused, Check out this site

http://www.brassbinnacle.com/Merchan...source=adwords
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:38 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I am thinking that we should mount a fire extinguisher in the bedroom somewhere. I do agree with refocused, it is a long way down from that emergency escape window.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:50 AM   #5
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Refocused;

Not trying to rain on your parade, however rope ladders are very difficult to navigate. A lot more so than most people think if they haven't used one before.

You might be better off just planning on exiting the window face down and feet first and then hanging and dropping. If done that way it shouldn't be far to the ground for even a fairly short person.

Just something to think about

Gary

wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:01 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I'd rather go out the emergency exit with no ladder than waste time trying to get at it and trying to attach it to something secure. It ain't that far down. Yeah you may break a leg but that's better than the alternative.

As having been a volunteer firefighter for 25 years I totally agree with rvfirefighter's reply and DHenry also had some great advice with "we should mount a fire extinguisher in the bedroom somewhere."

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:48 AM   #7
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
Thanks, folks! PrairiePoodle - that's a cool website - of course, the most expensive one caught my eye - I guess what I really had in mind was one of those ladders that hooks over the window and drops down - really like the advise on HOW to exit - prevention is, of course, the best solution - guess I worry too much!
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:20 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
http://www.personal-protective-safet...apeladders.htm

Tell you the truth by the time we got one of these things deployed we would most likely be cindered.A extinguisher in the bed room, a fire alarm also..I think I would rather take a header out the window and take my chances on injuries rather than fricassee in the bedroom.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:55 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I think it's a great idea, BUT! I can remember how diffacult it was to climb up a rope ladder in the Navy, much less trying to fit out that narrow exit window and trying to find the foot hold for the rope ladder in a panic situation, trust me if I cant go out the door due to fire, I will learn real quick to roll out that window hang on the lip and jump, drop and roll. of course that is after I get the wife out first, but she will have to be quick and move out of the way, because I'll be dropping down right after I let go of her.
I agree with the "fire extinguisher in the bedroom somewhere" and keeping all the warnning devices up and running with a test every month ( for the full timers especially ). what whould be nice for 5ers with higth, is a folding plat form that is attached to the edge of the overhang and lockable while under way, then when camping to use as a steping place in an energancy.

Just a thought.

TT2
Old 12-22-2006, 06:28 AM   #10
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I just had to go outside and try this. I stand 5ft 9 and stood flat footed beside the bedroom window. I could leap straight up and touch the glass. This means if I held onto the sill before I dropped to the ground, I would drop around 1-2 feet. I will do this before I try to look for a ladder in smoke or flames. And like TT2 says, the dw better get out of the way on the ground!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:27 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The rope ladders are not very effective without the wall in front of them, so once you get down past the nose belly you are going to swing under and land on your head anyway. Best way is to crawl out backwards and drop.

Couple of pointers I keep in mind in addtion to the above mentioned -
It's not what I feel capable of doing, it's what either of us feel capable of doing. Either one of us could be incapacitated and escape will depend on the others capabilities.

WATCH what you store outside under the window - nothing worse than aggravating your fall by a BBQ grille underneath.

Keep a key to the Monty in the TV! If we can't get to the kids in the living room, I've got to go back in from the main door which is typically locked at night.

Make sure the kids equally understand where the downstairs exit window is and how to operated it. At the very least they can get it open for you if you are outside.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:22 AM   #12
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
If you were to crawl out the window then drop for me it would be around a three foot drop. I'll take my chances that, the rope I believe would slow you down?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 06:13 PM   #13
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
The key here is practice. You need to use the fire exit in daylight to go through the motions, which each of you opening the window, etc. After you have it figured out, then you need to do it about two in the morning, in the dark, hugging the floor as much as possible. Practice is what will make the difference, not whether you have a rope ladder or a fire extinguisher. In fact, unless you have it checked on a regular basis, in a year your extinguisher probably won't work anyway. The other problem with extinguishers is that we don't like to mount them, we like to keep the "out of the way" which means they are not readily accessible, especially at 2 in the morning.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote