Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2020, 06:43 PM   #21
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I buy nothing but new trailers, and yes, even my new 1985? Terry Taurus by Fleetwood had a furnace failure in the first week.

It's the nature of the beast. I do not, and won't, try to count the issues we have; just encounter them and fix them - either myself or the dealer (if big enough) under warranty. When buying an RV one must know that it isn't a "buy and go have fun" exercise that doesn't come with a some required TLC. Something's going to happen/break - take it in stride and deal with it.

That said, I will say this - I have extremely high expectations of everyone and everything along with a zero level of patience - except the RV. Over many years I finally learned to either accept it and deal with it or have a stroke/heart attack/blown gasket. The RV business; manufacturer/dealer/owner relationship is so complex and convoluted that I decided I wasn't going to fix it.
I'm the complete opposite I buy nothing but used trailers and trucks and cars. I'd rather let someone else take the depreciation hit and work out all the bugs for me.
What I can tell you is any one that ended up with one of my previous trailers got a very nice well taken care of all bugs worked out unit. Lol

beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:19 PM   #22
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Well I feel everyone’s pain. I bought my 2018 Monty used in 2019 from a dealer out of state, but have family in that state near dealer so that helped. I must say that they took care of all the known issues in about two weeks before I would sign the papers. Some things had to be repaired twice because their people screwed it up the first time, but they made it all right before I headed home. One major thing I found was a side guide roller that was installed wrong at the factory on my largest slide out was never fixed under warranty and my extended warranty wouldn't fix it because it was not a “failed part”. They had to take the slide out to re align/ re install the roller properly. I had to eat that cost myself and was not cheap and not something I could do myself. Other smaller issues I found from our first big trip I was able to fix myself. My dealer even walked me through several of them. Thank God they are a dealer that cares and I have gotten great service from them. All this has been pre-covid. Haven’t been able to use the 5er much this year because of Covid but have some trips planned for next year. Hopefully, issues will be minimal and small and things I can fix. Its been said already but just the nature of the beast.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 07:51 PM   #23
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I'm the complete opposite I buy nothing but used trailers and trucks and cars. I'd rather let someone else take the depreciation hit and work out all the bugs for me.
What I can tell you is any one that ended up with one of my previous trailers got a very nice well taken care of all bugs worked out unit. Lol
I understand where you come from, but having bought "used" a couple of times I can assure you most don't do what you do. Taking the "depreciation hit" on anything means nothing to me...I then know everything, whatever it is, that is done to the boat, RV, house etc., was done by me. I put a high value on that and others don't.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #24
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
Whether we buy new or used, RVs constantly have issues. About the time we think we have everything working, something else happens. If I buy a wonderful 4 year old, I'm facing 4 new tires and likely repairing lap sealant on the roof. It goes on and on, part of RV life. If you aren't a bit of a handy person, you might be disappointed.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:17 PM   #25
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I understand where you come from, but having bought "used" a couple of times I can assure you most don't do what you do. Taking the "depreciation hit" on anything means nothing to me...I then know everything, whatever it is, that is done to the boat, RV, house etc., was done by me. I put a high value on that and others don't.
I understand that way of thinking also. I take great pride in knowing what I do is done "right" as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:23 AM   #26
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
I've had a few new RV's; a pair of them Montana's.

Both Montana's had under 10 issues each (say 4 for the first and closer to 10 on the second), all resolved in the first couple of months. They were all silly production quality things that never should have happened (heater fan cabling not secured / lights not attached fully / stuff like that).

But, on both of them the pre-delivery caught a pile of other silly things which also should have been caught at the factory.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:45 AM   #27
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
Wow we can feel your pain too. Honestly, you are not alone.

We purchased a brand new 2019 Montana HC, in early spring 2019. This was not our first experience with buying an RV.

Our rig has spent by far the most amount of time in the shop compared to all of the other rigs we owned. That is not an over statement.

On top of that for just one example: my husband spent too many hours fixing that stupid quite cool ducts, just to be able to feeeeel the air coming out of the vents in the main cabin area. After his fix It pushes air out like a jet engine. Thankfully we have a Dump unit in our bedroom too.

Big problems ahead I believe since it appears very few new Montana's have dumps in bedrooms AND they are now using Coleman Mach AC's? Unless they have changed--they are junk. Huge problems for those of us who live in the south.
The list of problems are long.

Our first 5th Wheel was a Heartland---new, never went to the shop. We had that little gem for 2 years until we outgrew it. Sometimes I wish we had it back.
Prior to that, our first camper was a used Coachmen Catalina TT. Old as dirt, but never ever taken to the shop.

We wanted to be impressed with Montana--sure they look nice. I wonder if the 3stooges are putting them together? Its a shame.

In all fairness, Other owners do have better outcomes than us.
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #28
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Not that there aren't any issues with the "real" Montana's, but it seems folks are having a lot of trouble with the high country version which is purposely built cheaper and priced lower. People get caught up with all the fancy bells and whistles and don't bother looking at how the things are built.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:42 PM   #29
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I’m with you beeje. I saved over $11k from NADA value, over $15k from list price, by buying used. 2018 model bought in 2019. 5er was in service one year and 5 months when I bought it. Almost saved same amount on my TV. I have bought new cars but only if they are giving them away, so to speak. Having worked at a Chevy dealership in the past, if you want to buy new, now is the time to do it. Best deals are just before Christmas, and between Christmas and new years. They are pushing for year end numbers and cleaning out inventory. Even on new model year inventory. They want “delivery, signed sales” by Dec. 31st. Look to see if they have any demo’s you might like. Those can be great deals. They will cut deals on trucks if you can find one to fit your needs, but not nearly as heavily discounted, and no demo on a 2500 or 3500.
My 5er had some upgrades and the winter package (forget what they call it) but it was like $5k-$6k extra. I haven’t had but one issue with a guide roller on a slide out that I had to have fixed out of my pocket. Some minor issues I fixed myself. Otherwise it’s still like new and didn’t have to eat that huge depreciation. You have to know what you are looking for and do your homework ahead of time, then take your time to shop for the best deal, which isn’t necessarily the cheapest deal. With RV’s especially, I just can’t see taking that hit even though I could afford new one. Its All personal preference.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote