Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2006, 12:46 AM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Where can I go with a 34' Monty?

Yes, I am very new but my wife and I are very concerned that if we go ahead and buy a 34' 5th Wheel Monty we will only be able to stay at the Flying J. I looked at several state parks that said they could accomodate 30Ft or 35Ft or 40Ft length RV's. Does that mean my 36'Ft 5th wheel fits but not my truck, a 3500 Dodge Ram long bed? I would be very interested to hear where you go, comfortably, with a 34' 5th Wheel. I am asking to get a sense of the limitations on this large of a vehicle. Thanks (a very nervous first timer)

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:11 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
First of all is it really 34 foot.Example the specs for the 3400Rl say 37.3 but it is actually 39.1. Having said that there are very few places you will not be able to fit your camper and most of those being older campgrounds and some State and Federal parks. When they say it will accommodate a 35 foot camper that usually means that is the approximate size of the pad the camper fits on.Don't worry about where to put the truck.You will be able to get the entire unit in the pad and park the truck..There are few limitations don't let that get in the way of purchasing the camper you want.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:16 AM   #3
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
My 2006 Mountaineer 329RLS is listed at 34' 11", I have only had it out 6 times so far, but all of these trips were in the New York State Park System, most of the State Campgrounds I use can accomodate this size trailer (NOT ON EVERY SITE), you just have to be selective (or know the sites that you will fit onto) when making reservations, or selecting a site. The sites I reserved for the above mentioned trips were made when I had my previous 5er (2000 Golden Falcon 28RLG), I didn't encounter any problems with the new 5er being 5' longer, and having slides on each side versus a single superslide, but I had stayed on these sites before, and knew it would be OK. The best rule of thumb is, if you can check out the available sites before reserving DO IT, if you can't call the Park Office, and ask for site suggestions for your size unit. The stated length accomodation size is for the Camping Vehicle, and does not include the Tow Vehicle.

Good Luck, and Good Camping,

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:41 AM   #4
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
If you look at our signature you will see exactly what we have and what we pull and have never been denied entrance or a spot anywhere in any campground. We have stayed all up and down the western United States. Granted we have stayed in a few parks where the site was really tight (old old campgrounds), but we were always allowed. If you feel that you won't fit, go back to the office and request another site. We were afraid of that at first, but it has been the least of our problems....Look out for trees, tight turns, posts, and be sure and watch out for that electrical hookup at you sight. It is always best to get a set of walkie talkie's and have your co-pilot direct you that way. Those little toys are really valuable in that situation...Keeps ya from having to yell!!!
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:00 AM   #5
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
As others have said we have been using our Montana (s) for almost 3 years and have had no problems. If you use the Trailer Life Directory for campgrounds, most of the listings will tell you the size of the sites. We have fit into some pretty tight spots with some challenging backing and pulling up, etc. but you will find you can do it with a little practice. We went from a 34' to a 37' and found very little difference. In fact the larger unit seems to tow better and have better manueuvering than the shorted 3295RK, which was our first Montana. Not to worry....you will soon be a pro at parking your Montana
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:38 AM   #6
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Our Mountaineer 328RLS is 34'11". TV and trailer has a rolling length of 52 feet. As far as length goes we have had little problem. State parks generally give a nice area. But older private parks tend to pack them in and are not very wide even when they do provide a nice long pull through slots. Older parks considered a 35 foot trailer with no slides a large trailer. Newer 3 slide units tend to be tight. Newer parks accomodate the larger RV's pretty good. So far every KOA we stayed at has been adequate. Some tighter than others. As been mentioned already your backing skills are the key to sucess. Store parking lots late at night or very early when nobody is around is perfect practice area. Pick a parking spot and practice getting into it. Try from different angles as not all parks are the same angle.
Most of all enjoy and happy travels.
I absolutely love my larger trailer and having the slides makes it very roomy and comfortable.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:59 AM   #7
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
We have fulltimed for 5 yrs., our first unit was a 3255RL, could not stay in some of the national and state parks, not too much trouble, but with size of the unit and truck, you start having problems. Now we have a 3670RL, same truck and it not getting any easier. I like staying in State and National Parks and this does present even worst problems.
When traveling, bigger is not better. It is something you just learn to deal with, I love the room when we get set up.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:07 AM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
We just plan ahead by going on the Good Sam web site and finding parks that can take the size of our unit. We have not had any problems in the last two years finding places to go that can take the large rigs.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:21 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Only one time in over 5 years of full timing have we had a problem. That was with a campground in Door County, Wisconsin. We called ahead for a week's reservation over the 4th of July five years ago and they said they could accomodate our 36 ft Montana. When we got there, I absolutely could not get the rig backed into the spot. There were too many trees. First, the entrance to the lot was 10 ft wide. Then, the road going up to the lot was only 10 feet wide. The road was lined with trees. All of these trees made it impossible to jacknife the rig into the spot. Incidentally, the lot was 50 ft deep so they didn't lie when they said they could accomodate a 36 ft 5th wheel. If I was a novice at maneuvering a 5th wheel, then I would say it was my fault. But I've put our rig into some pretty tight spots. This one, I couldn't. I got my money back for the week's stay minus a $35 deposit.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:22 AM   #10
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Only once when we called a site late in the day while travelling were were told they did not have a site long enough for us, not a problem called another site and they found room for us. There are a lot of things we tend to worry about when we first get our RV but they are all problems that tend to be in our mind and most times things go very smoothly. If you are thinking of buying a 5th wheel, go ahead and enjoy yourselves, it really is a good life. Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 03:26 AM   #11
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Because I hate surprises when hauling the Monty, I have a "thing" about calling ahead for reservations. In my experience, the larger concern is usually the width (4 sliders) of our 3400 rather than the length. I always make sure that I tell managers of the campgrounds we will be visiting about both the length and number of sliders. They have, without exception, put us in sites that are appropriate for our RV or told us they could not accomodate us. We will be camping at the KOA in Watkins Glen, NY over Labor Day. When I called and told them the dimensions of the Monty, they put us on a "big rig" site even though their web site makes it appear that a "normal" site would be adequate. We also keep site maps for the campgrounds we visit and always do a "walk around" to identify specific sites that we prefer. Though many CGs say they will not reserve a specific site, some will attempt to do so, especially if you are a repeat customer and reserve early. The site in the picture below is one such situation. We reserved that particular site in January for two weeks in July after having been there for a weekend last fall.

The other thing I insist upon are full hook-up sites (EWS). Mobile pump-outs can get expensive (especially if you have grandkids camping with you) and maneuvering a 39' Monty around campgrounds to a dump station is not my idea of fun.

Many state/provincial parks do not provide full hook-up sites so we tend to go elsewhere.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:05 AM   #12
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
As stated for the most part you will have no problem. Now for the exception, in my home state of Michigan I have had several issues in State parks as far as setting up the 5er. I have had times the front of my 5er was right at the edge of the road and the site behind me was so close I could not open the awning. I have also had issues with overhead and side clearance from trees. I should point out that I had ask before going in if the site was large enough and each time I was told "no problem". I even had one person at a State Park tell me they don't make their sites bigger because the don't want "big units". This has only be in some Michigan State Parks. Needless to say I seldom use them. If you ever have a doubt about the size of a site, insist on seeing the site BEFORE you accept it. 90% of the time there will be no problem.
SEMPER FI
Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 05:40 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
All I can tell you is our experience, based on RV'ing for 11 years and 3 years of fulltiming. Actual length of our Montana is 36' 4".

We have found --

There are some state and federal parks where we will not fit. These are mostly the older parks. There are many where we fit just fine. Some of the older parks have added a few longer sites but not all have done this.

Private parks are not a problem. It is rare you find one that can not handle your size.

Some sites will fit your Montana but you need to park your truck crosswise or on the grass next to your rig (in parks that allow that). Rarely, we need to park across the street or in a parking area a short distance away. I want to stress this is very rare. It just isn't a problem 99% of the time.

To me, the key is to get the rig that makes you happy and in which you will be comfortable. If you go smaller than you want because of a fear of not fitting, then you are not going to have a happy experience. You'll fit but you won't be comfortable. The exception to this, in my estimation, is if your goal is to spend most of your time in parks with small sites or if you want to tow it to some real backcountry areas. Then you'd need somethign smaller.

Keep in mind there are quite a number of RV's larger than 34 feet roaming around the country. RV Parks want to accommodate them. That includes many state parks and federal parks. We used to live in Kansas. I never found a state or federal (corps of engineers) campground we could not easily get into, in Kansas. We also find most other states are similar. There are exceptions, of course, but there are always workable alternative parks nearby.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:15 AM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I think all of the above responses have pretty much said it all. The thing to know is that when you make reservations at a park they will, almost without exception, ask you the size of your rig and the more up to date ones will ask how many slides. We have also found that a lot of the state parks we can't fit in we also could not get up the road leading to the campground. Don't worry, there are plenty of long RVs out there enjoying the good life.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:19 AM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have found that when calling for reservations I make sure to let them know the length and the number of slides. To date I have only been told twice that a park could not handle a coach of my size. I would sure not let the length of a rig scare you away from buying it, with a little planning you should have no problems getting into a park.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:22 AM   #16
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
There are lots of places you can go with your 34' Monty. Not everywhere, but you probably would not want to go to the places that you can't fit into. Many State Parks have upgraded sites for larger RV's and most Corps of Engineers Parks have at least some large sites.

By the way, don't be afraid to ask other campers with similar sized rigs, where they have been, and where they are going, you will quickly build-up a data base of good places to go with your Monty.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:50 PM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Just buy the rig that suits your needs and adjust your camping to meet the needs of a longer trailer. Large sites are out there, more and more every day as RVs are getting longer. It's much better to have the trailer that you like than to buy a shorter one just to fit into more spaces. We've missed getting into a few but those instances are rare and we pulled our 37 footer to Alaska and back.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote