Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
David T. MacNeill
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19930
Cool Roadside assistance services compared

We have basic roadside service through our insurance company (USAA) and when I was traveling for work had been using AAA Premium for several years. Just joined Good Sam for the Camping World discounts and gas/propane discounts and they are telling us that we should switch from AAA to Good Sam Roadside Assistance, now that we are pulling a fifth wheel.

This is tempting — it's $70 a year versus over $200 for USAA Premium+RV — and I like the idea that they are more likely to be aware of the kinds of unique situations pulling a large RV can entail out on the long and winding road. Anybody have experience, positive or negative, with Good Sam's Roadside Assistance service?

David T. MacNeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:51 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When I found out that AAA Kansas wouldn't tow our rig no matter what we paid, even though we are life Good Sam members we use Coach-net and have had several wonderful experiences with them over 6 years and 50,000 miles.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:18 AM   #3
David T. MacNeill
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19930
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
...we use Coach-net and have had several wonderful experiences with them over 6 years and 50,000 miles.
I didn't know about Coach-Net and will check them out before we decide.
David T. MacNeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:14 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Coach-net has helped us find mobile service techs and even got us a next day appointment when the lady who answered the phone for me said they were booked up.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Good Sam roadside service gets mixed reviews on the RV.net Open Roads forum. That is a forum owned and run by Good Sam and they have a specific sub forum just for roadside service discussions. And they don't delete negative postings. You might go there and read about user experiences, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Based on reading those over a period of time I chose Coach-net premium towable plan, but have never had to use it.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
ctwebb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13637
We had a bad experience with Good Sam last December. TV broke down , was able to get off the interstate to a market / gas station. Good Sam would tow the tv to a local shop ( that was a complete disaster) they refused to tow the 5ver because I was in a gas station parking lot which they told me it was in a "safe spot". We were in a bad part of a small town and was forced to leave my camper overnight until I found other options to tow the camper away. I would not recommend them, Good to know about Coach - net. Think I will look into them.
ctwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
I'm probably wrong here but I belonged to coach net when I had a motorhome.
To get coach net you need to be a member of FMCA and for that you need a motorhome.
I did not know 5th wheels counted as motorhomes.
???
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You do not have to be a member of FMCA or own a motor home. Coach-net has roadside assistance plans for both motor homes and for towables (travel trailers & 5ers).

https://coach-net.com/Products/247Protect
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #9
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
You do not have to be a member of FMCA or own a motor home. Coach-net has roadside assistance plans for both motor homes and for towables (travel trailers & 5ers).

https://coach-net.com/Products/247Protect
I did say I was probably wrong

When I compared the two plans I chose coach net as they had better reviews and I think did more.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I have had excellent service from Good Sam both times I have used them. Once was even with the family car. Check 'em out.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Getting a policy from Good Sam does not mean GS has a fleet of trucks and trained 5th wheel drivers waiting for a call. Much like AAA, CoachNet, and USAA, GS contracts with tow truck companies around the country. The quality will differ depending on the part of the country you are in and which local tow company is contracted. It really is a crap shoot as to what level of service you will receive..

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:44 PM   #12
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Haven't had to use it yet, but the reason I like Good Sam is they will send 2 tow trucks so truck and trailer both get towed. Once I saw a tow truck with the front end of pickup lifted up with the trailer still hooked up. I am pretty sure the trailer would hit the pickup rails if they hit a bump.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:54 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had them all over the years I think we have AARP right now we usually change every 2 or 3 years and get the " new member rate" We have found they are all pretty much the same and we have had good service from all of them
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #14
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Coach-Net all the way. We even had an instance a couple of years back where they dispatched a tow truck that was broken on arrival. This right at the time they had a shift change and somehow the broken tow truck thing got dropped. Six hours later when I called again they dispatched a top of the line outfit and even paid to tow us an extra 80 miles (I'd been ready to pay for that out of pocket) to a truck repair place that could fix us in a day (high pressure oil line broke inside the engine). Can't say enough good things about them!
Old 06-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #15
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We have had Good Sam for a couple of years. We had a bad experience once when they could not help us, but they gave us 6 free months after we complained. We sorted out our problems on our own.

Our daughter also has Good Sam and had to wait several hours to get a tire changed in the Toronto area. That was because it was Sunday evening and they had problems finding someone to do it. She would have changed it herself except her spare tire needed a special tool to get off and this tool was not included with her (SOB) trailer.

We had a flat tire in Alaska last year. Hubby changed the tire himself (quicker that way) but we did call Good Sam to get the name of a nearby tire shop as we did not want to travel without a spare. They were able to do that.

We have friends who have Coach Net and they had to wait hours for a tire change in the Toronto area once, same deal, not easy to find someone to come out. Our friends could not change it themselves as he is blind and she is a very small person and not up to the job.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:59 PM   #16
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I'd get Coach Net or Good Sam...not AAA. I've heard of a number cases where AAA sent equipment that was unable to do what needed to be done. They are okay for a car, not a big RV.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:14 AM   #17
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We have used Coach Net twice--once in Az and once in Kansas. Excellent service. Quick and got the job done. I have usually changed flats myself if needed--I carry the needed equipment--10 ton hydraulic jack, torque wrench, piece of carpet to lay on, and 2x6 boards to support the jack if needed.
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote