Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2019, 07:30 PM   #41
RollingwiththeMorrisons
Established Member

M.O.C. #21218
We LOVE our 3120RL. We developed a checklist when we started looking that started with the highest cargo carrying capacity we could find. We also wanted a unit that has a better chance of fitting in state/national parks and 35' was our limit. We looked for 4 season, RV king bed, adaptable for boondocking, big fridge, and a layout that we liked (tv opposite recliners, open living area, and bedroom opposite the tv). We upgraded to the legacy package and opted for dual pane windows. We picked it up in April 2018, and moved in FT Nov 1. We are currently traveling through Florida and could not be happier! First thing we did was upgrade the mattress and linens. Hubs has improved and replaced the closet rod after it failed on our first trip. He is also planning to add an expansion tank to prevent overpressure due to use of the hot water heater.

We were fortunate to be able to find our 5er before purchasing a truck to pull it. We never wanted to be limited by the truck and opted for a Ford F350 dually long bed diesel. We also got the factory installed puck system with a B&W Companion hitch.

Our resulting rig is exactly perfect for us and our plan to visit all the National Parks over the next 3 to 5 years. Good luck on your purchase and happy travels!

Debbie & Robert Morrison
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190202_181150.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	258.1 KB
ID:	3227   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181124_173909.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	3228  

RollingwiththeMorrisons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #42
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanneson View Post
We’ve had our 3120Rl for almost a year now. Our only issues are these:
1) DW and I are both a little “fluffy” and we don’t fit as comfortably at the table as we’d like.
2) As someone else mentioned, the clothes pole in the closet droops terribly, and our clothes bounce right off of it during travels. It’ll soon be replaced with a decent diameter wooden rod.
3) We’re not fans of the theatre seating either and will be on the hunt for options. A 60” wide space is the limiting factor.
I completely agree with everyone that a thorough walkthrough is a must! What I missed (my bad) is the TV cable stuff. Am having to run coax through the window from our Dish portable sat dish!
I don't want to stray too far off-topic, but have you tried turning your clothes hangers around so that the open side of the hook is facing the rear of the trailer?
Old 02-27-2019, 07:37 PM   #43
MJohnston
Established Member

M.O.C. #23142
We own a 2018 3120RL and have had good luck with it so far. Our longest trip was 4 weeks last fall (2 adults, one 85lb lab). It all worked out well and the size was fine for us, but I did see a lot of larger Montannas during our trip. I agree with the first post, spend hours when you pick it up going through every detail. Document anything you are concerned about while you are at the dealer. Also, make sure you know there are 2 grey tanks (one for the kitchen, one for the bathroom). We wish our shower grey was a bit bigger, but it did work for us with full hookups. Dry camping for more than a few days could be a challenge. The second grey dump valve is hidden behind the kitchen slide. Make sure they show you where it is. It took me a while to find it.
Happy RVing!!!
MJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:34 AM   #44
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
We are F/T for 6 months (snowbirds) and had a 35' SOB with the same layout as the 3120. We upgraded to the 3731FL mostly for the LR space though we grew by 4'. However we were comfortable in both units. We always have hook ups so the residential fridge works good for us and we love it. If you expect to boondock however I would recommend the rv fridge. I have not found any problem with the added size and it pulls just as easy as the old rig.

Good luck and enjoy the new on. One more thing. Some CW's and other dealers let you stay in the rig on site for a couple nights and that lets you really test drive it. It's worth asking.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:50 AM   #45
drsnook
Established Member

M.O.C. #22992
We are in the process of buying this same model as well. We have looked through every other brand with similar floor plan and length. The 3120 has the best layout for us, along with the most exterior storage room. Our current rig is a 2011 mountaineer 285rld and has more interior storage than any 32' OAL coach we have seen. Even the 3120 does not have as much cabinet space. We have walked through both of the 3120's our local dealer has several times and the only things that we don't like are...they are not 20th anniversary models and we are stalled on the finance rate.

I believe we will be happy with the fact they are non 20th models as we like the furniture better in the late 2019's over the present 20th models. We do however, like the non-carpeted bedroom.

We do a bit of forest service area camping and set the length limit to 36' so this one falls in line.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:14 AM   #46
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
You should definitely get the Legacy package. It includes disc brakes and you will love that feature. If you're buying the anniversary edition it should have side cameras on the front of the fifth wheel which will allow you to see what's next to you when you are changing lanes or taking a corner, another great feature.
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:19 PM   #47
laprezgpoc
Established Member

M.O.C. #22763
We do like the layout of our 3120. Storage is an issue for the DW, but she manages - of course, we are not full-timing (and probably never will - ha haa). The main issue is there is a new problem every time we take it out. Taking it back to dealer in March (I think this is the 4th or 5th trip). Latest issue is the furnace quit working, so turned on heat pump and it barely worked. Also the level up display is blank (all the functions work - thank God). But all our SOBs have been just as bad.

As for the TV - a 1 ton SRW fits a 3120 just fine. Our 3/4 ton had a payload of 1300 when I weighed it. I have not weighed the 1 ton, but adding 1500 to 1300 gives an approx payload of 2800. So, if you decide to go bigger Montana, then a dually is a better fit.

And, definitely go Legacy. Love our power cord reel. Missed the anniversary edition and the hydraulic brakes by a couple of months

Happy Trails...
laprezgpoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:34 PM   #48
jpwhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23248
We purchased a 3120RL last month. We looked at many different brands and models. We kept coming back to this one because we loved the floor plan, wanted the RV fridge and wanted something 35 foot or less. In newer RV parks, the overall length is not a big issue, but we have a number of favorite state parks that I want to stay in and found roughly 30% fewer available sites when popped up when I put in "up to 40" foot vs "up to 35". Have the Anniversary Edition, but not the legacy upgrade (which would have been nice).

We purchased a Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax for the tow vehicle.
jpwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:44 PM   #49
krahopkin
Established Member

M.O.C. #17294
ken H

had a 3120, wanted a single wide fridge and a pantry, dealer talked us into taking the double fridge no pantry DW hated it, furniture too dark, be sure you check out everything, we had a leaking black tank, was replaced under warranty. I thought the quality was good for the price.
krahopkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:46 PM   #50
jmb98
Established Member

M.O.C. #22945
We're fulltimers (have a '17 3921FB with Legacy pkg) & downsized from a 2200 sqft S&B. Just 2 of us, no pets other than spouse, but people asked why a 41' trailer. The room, we said. Honestly, we're glad we liquidated all but the essentials because there's really not much storage. No w/d as I wanted more kitchen storage, no closet bc we have a tub, so would advise to be realistic about what you take with you. We continue to purge the pass-thru & cabinets every few months & we've only been doing this a year+...

We're 16.8K loaded & have a '17 F350SD Lariat DRW -- perfect for what we do & pull.

Best of luck whatever you decide.
jmb98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:18 AM   #51
WNY Bullet
Established Member

M.O.C. #23455
Has anyone had problems with living in it full time and warranty issues?

Owners Manual states under what is not covered: Recreational vehicles used for business, rental, residential, commercial, or disaster relief purposes, or any
purposes other than recreational travel and family camping;
WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:00 AM   #52
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
We have a 2016 3160RL and love it. We're not full timers. All the above suggestions of what to look for on your walk thru are very good. Being first time rv buyers we didn't have CW turn propane on. We made 2-2hr trips back to CW to have fridge repaired under warranty. First the residential fridge needed a switch to ignite propane. Then we found when the slides were in, fridge wasn't receiving propane. They had to change the propane pipe to the fridge. Things you don't think about on a walk-thru.
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:37 AM   #53
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNY Bullet View Post

Owners Manual states under what is not covered: Recreational vehicles used for business, rental, residential, commercial, or disaster relief purposes, or any
We've never had a problem and never been asked if we are f/t or business use.
Actually we go out now and then so we're not reall "Full" time...

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:20 AM   #54
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Warranty question

Quote:

Hello WNY Bullet,
Welcome! I see you joined the forum recently. What brand of RV do you own? Have you had warranty issues with living in full time?
Old 03-01-2019, 07:56 AM   #55
WNY Bullet
Established Member

M.O.C. #23455
Quote:
Originally Posted by mootana View Post
Hello WNY Bullet,
Welcome! I see you joined the forum recently. What brand of RV do you own? Have you had warranty issues with living in full time?
Right now we own a Keystone Bullet Premier 26RBPR, but looking to get into something larger. We have been to several shows and the Montana is coming out on the top of our list so far. I joined the forum in hopes to find out more about them. What better way to find out things, straight from the owners themselves.

We are not full time right now since I am still working, but hoping to retire soon.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:22 PM   #56
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
We full time in a 2014 331rlt mountaineer for 5 years and it just about the same floor plan as yours. No regrets we love the tv over the desk as the DW is a bookkeeper and can work and i can still watch the TV. and ours has a movable island and we just love that option. to bad that went away in the Montana's.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #57
TrailTrackers
Established Member

M.O.C. #20852
After having tried the full time thing in our 40' 2017 Montana 5th Wheel, I have to say I wish I would have done more research into which RVs are the best for "full time" living. If I had to do it all over again I would have purchased a DRV for full time living. The Montana is nice enough, but the DRVs are at a whole new level for full time living. I highly recommend you check into a DRV before purchasing anything if you are serious about "full time" living in a Montana. You'll thank me in the end for sure.
TrailTrackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #58
WNY Bullet
Established Member

M.O.C. #23455
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailTrackers View Post
After having tried the full time thing in our 40' 2017 Montana 5th Wheel, I have to say I wish I would have done more research into which RVs are the best for "full time" living. If I had to do it all over again I would have purchased a DRV for full time living. The Montana is nice enough, but the DRVs are at a whole new level for full time living. I highly recommend you check into a DRV before purchasing anything if you are serious about "full time" living in a Montana. You'll thank me in the end for sure.
Wow, those are nice, but really costly!
Old 03-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #59
TrailTrackers
Established Member

M.O.C. #20852
Quote:
Wow, those are nice, but really costly!
True, they are a bit more money up front. However, you get what you pay for to be honest. Those DRVs are actually 'rated' for full time living, unlike any Montana. I think the biggest thing that peeved me was not thinking about something as simple as the fridge. In my Montana it runs either on electric or LP, even though it was toted as being a 'residential' fridge. Not sure why I didn't think about this before buying, but there are no 'residential' fridges that run on LP. The DRVs have 100% true residential appliances. You can literally take the fridge out of your home and put it into a DRV and it will work. The walls are about double the thickness in a DRV. And on and on...

I'm not totally dogging my Montana, the one I got really is pretty nice to be honest; it's got 5 slides and it gets pretty big when opened up. But it's just not 'rated' for full time living. It blows through LP to keep it warm in the Utah winters, and it gobbles electric to keep it cool in the summers. If you're renting on a monthly basis the electric goes into your name.
TrailTrackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:06 PM   #60
2019 montana
Established Member

M.O.C. #23525
We bought a 3120RL and we love it. BUT... hear are the cons I am dealing with. The sink and shower drain leaked (plumbing wasn't tight enough). Dealer installed washer/dryer, dryer didn't work (dryer wasn't plugged in) washer leaked (hose connections not tight). door moldings and wood trims loose, re nailed. Screen door latch hangs up. Kitchen grey dump valve, located in front of tire/need to open kitchen pop out to get to. Fresh water low point drain, located at rear two feet in?... Took back to dealer, was put on a three week list, just for the plumbing. Did all the corrections my self in 3 weeks. Re located low point drain and grey dump valve next to the other grey dump.
2019 montana is offline   Reply With Quote