Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2004, 07:19 AM   #1
Montana_1723

M.O.C. #1723
greenhorns

Greetings one and all. I have been reading with awe and delight everyones adventures. My husband and I are planning on retiring soon, hopefully in August and getting a Montana and truck and hitting the road fulltime. That statement both excites me and terrifies me as we have never had any rv experience. We have many questions we hope someone can answer. My husbands first question: We are looking at a Ford F350 dually 4X4 to buy but my husband is wondering if it would be better to have a 4X2 because they can haul more weight. We don't intend on being anywhere where snow would be a problem. My first question is, Did anyone else out there have reservations about selling their house and going full-time? It sounds so wonderful! Any regrets? Thanks.
Two hopefuls and a dog

Montana_1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 07:56 AM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
First off, Welcome to the Forum!!!

There are many here that are (or were) in the same boat You are in.

I'd post questions like these in the "Fulltiming" area or in the General area.

As for the truck question, I still feel a 4x4 was a wise move since it can (and usuaully is) be used in the grass and wet dirt or mud. As for the weight reason, the extra payload is nominal so that reason should not be dwelled upon that much. It's personal preference really, there's a higher cost upfront in purchasing but a higher resale at the end so it's really a draw.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:57 AM   #3
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Welcome to the MOC. Looks like you have a lot to look forward to in the near future. I agree with John, we have found there are times when the 4 x 4 come in very handy, especially if you get into a wet situation on grass, soft dirt, or sand. We have not had to use it a great deal but were thankful we had it when needed.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 09:09 AM   #4
Montana_462
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #462
Hello and welcome. I have to agree with the 4X4. I have used it several times on a small incline in wet grass. I have also strayed off the driveway backing my 5th up the hill and have had to engage a couple of times. Sure was nice to have when I needed it!!
Montana_462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:43 AM   #5
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
If you are looking at F350s and and can hold off a few months, the 2005 Ford F350 is going to have a new frame and will have about a ton more towing capacity!

Also, the 4X4's extra weight is on the front axle. The weight of the 5er and hitch will add mainly to the burden of the rear axle. And as mentioned before, the 4X4 has helped me out several times in the past two years on soft ground.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:04 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also tow with a 4x4 and, like the others, have found it occasionally useful. We used to tow the same Montana with a 4x2 and didn't feel we needed 4x4. This one happened to have 4x4 when we bought it and we've found it handy. While you can pass by a site that might require a 4x4 to get into, you don't know whether lots of rain will make 4x4 helpful in getting out of another site. In any case, either way would be fine, in my opinion.

As for trepidation about selling the house... no for me, yes for Vicki. I was losing that 'battle' when we had some high dollar expenses on our home and Vicki decided it's time to sell it. We've been fulltiming for over 15 months and she'd be the first to tell you how surprised she is at how well and quickly she adapted. I think the key for her is that we agree that when we tire of fulltiming or have to quit for health reasons, we'll settle somewhere and get another house. Meanwhile, we're having a ball. If you need any help sleeping, the link in my signature takes you to a website containing the email postcards of our travels Vicki sends to relatives and friends. She's a few weeks behind right now but before long our time in the Black Hills will be out there too.

Also, lots of people rent out their home with intent to return someday. Some just shut it down for the duration. Others take long or short trips and stay in the house inbetween. If you want to discuss this with Vicki, email me your email address and I'll ask her if it's ok to give you her email address. You can email me by clicking the little envelope in the row of icons at the top of this post.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:07 AM   #7
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
I dont fulltime (yet anyway) but ditto what everyone has to say about the 4x4 , one other benifit I like about the 4x4 is the Low Range option when negotiating tight areas, less than stable ground. Less strain on the engine and transmission.
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:52 AM   #8
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Welcome to the forum, I can relate to the 4x4. I have a 2500hd 4x2 and had to use my 1500 4x4 chevy. to pull both the truck and trailer out of the soft dirt in my yard (small) incline. Get the 4x4 you want go wrong. Will be retiring Aug. 1, 2004
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:30 AM   #9
Montana_1511
Established Member

M.O.C. #1511
Thanks Steve and Vicki for the wonderful postcards. We live in Colorado (which is beautiful, too) and have traveled to the Pacific NW several times. It's one of our favorite locations to enjoy the great outdoors. Aren't we lucky to live in such a beautiful country?

Jean

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

We also tow with a 4x4 and, like the others, have found it occasionally useful. We used to tow the same Montana with a 4x2 and didn't feel we needed 4x4. This one happened to have 4x4 when we bought it and we've found it handy. While you can pass by a site that might require a 4x4 to get into, you don't know whether lots of rain will make 4x4 helpful in getting out of another site. In any case, either way would be fine, in my opinion.

As for trepidation about selling the house... no for me, yes for Vicki. I was losing that 'battle' when we had some high dollar expenses on our home and Vicki decided it's time to sell it. We've been fulltiming for over 15 months and she'd be the first to tell you how surprised she is at how well and quickly she adapted. I think the key for her is that we agree that when we tire of fulltiming or have to quit for health reasons, we'll settle somewhere and get another house. Meanwhile, we're having a ball. If you need any help sleeping, the link in my signature takes you to a website containing the email postcards of our travels Vicki sends to relatives and friends. She's a few weeks behind right now but before long our time in the Black Hills will be out there too.

Also, lots of people rent out their home with intent to return someday. Some just shut it down for the duration. Others take long or short trips and stay in the house inbetween. If you want to discuss this with Vicki, email me your email address and I'll ask her if it's ok to give you her email address. You can email me by clicking the little envelope in the row of icons at the top of this post.

Good luck.
Montana_1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:08 AM   #10
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Welcome to MOC! Know you will gain much information from this web site for there are so many knowledgeable and helpful members.

We picked out our fifth wheel before deciding on the tow vehicle. We love our F350 and pulls our little Monty like an arrow without any effort. We probably have more truck than what we need, however, we have a tendency to keep our vehicles for a long time, and if we decide to upgrade our Monty in a few years we should still be okay with the F350. We feel a level of security and stability with the dullies and don't find it to be difficult to drive.

As someone mentioned, if you can, wait for the 2005 models for the improvements over 2004. You can check out the 2005 models on the Ford web site (having another senior moment and can't recall the website).

We use our stick home as our base coming and going as we get the urge to get on the road. We like the flexibility of our life style and at this time not planning on selling either home.

Good luck in your decision. Let us know what you decide.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:16 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Bob and Jean, for the nice words. Vicki really enjoys doing the postcards and I enjoy going back and re-reading what we were doing last year, etc. Kind of helps refresh my memory. You are absolutely, right. This country is far more beautiful than I realized. There are so many things we've enjoyed seeing and doing that we did not even know existed until we started traveling. What originally we thought would be no more than two years traveling, well, now we're saying we need five or six more years. Looking at our map of where we've been, we've barely scratched the surface in over 15 months. When we finally settle down somewhere we'll still have the memories and those postcards will be something we'll reminisce with.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:15 PM   #12
Montana_1574
Established Member

M.O.C. #1574
WE'VE BEEN FULL TIMING FOR JUST 4 MONTHS, RV'ING FOR 5 YEARS, ALL THE KIDS ARE GONE AND WE DECIDED TO GO FOR IT. I'M STILL WORKING, BUT WILL BE GIVING IT UP SOON, SO FAR WE HAVE NO RESERVATIONS ABOUT OUR DECISIONS. THE ONLY THING WE HAD A HARD TIME WITH WAS DECIDING WHAT WE REALLY NEEDED TO HAVE IN THE RIG. I'VE MY OWN BUSINESS, SO WE HAD ROOM TO STORE STUFF IN THE WAREHOUSE, WE'RE STILL SORTING IT OUT AND GETTING RID OF THINGS WE DON'T NEED. IT IS AN ADJUSTMENT, HOWEVER WE TALKED TO A LOT OF OTHER FULL TIMERS AND DID OUR RESEARCH. AS MY MOTHER SAYS, YOU DON'T KNOW IF YOU DON'T TRY.

(SINCE WE DID IT, MOM SOLD HER HOUSE BOUGHT A CALSS A AND TOOK TO THE ROAD, JUST HER AND HER DOGS.)

TOM & FAYE
3400RL
CHEVY 3500 DUALLY
DURAMAX/ALLISON
Montana_1574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 01:51 AM   #13
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
We have been full time since December 03 and have not regreted our decision. One of the biggest problems we have is to continue to remember that we are not on vacation and to stop spending like we are on one. Time is just flying by and life is good.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 03:39 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ditto what Bob & Donna said. We had to learn we have lots of time and don't have to see everything in an area in a week. We've been fulltiming since March '03. This past month we've been near two of our kids so took the opportunity to offload those things we thought we'd need but we've not used in that 16 months. Those things went in the kids' basement. Turnaround is fair play, afterall! Like Bob & Donna, the time is really flying. We originally figured by the two year mark we'd either have seen everything we want to see or we'd be burned out. Now we're saying we've just scratched the surface and need five or six more years. Our list is getting longer. It's amazing how we go to an area to see something in particular, then learn how much more there is to see there, things we didn't know existed. This is truly a beautiful and interesting country. Congratulations on your fulltiming. Hope to see you on the road.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:39 PM   #15
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
Karin and I have been fulltiming for a year. We still love it. Right now we are workcamping in California. One of the best things that we did was to live in the fiver for 2 months while we still had the house. We moved things from the house into the Montana as we needed them. We have still found that we took too much stuff that we don't use.

Glenn
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 04:36 AM   #16
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
KK and GB....... where in California are you workcamping? We might want to sneak up on ya!
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:01 PM   #17
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Hi there...and welcome!

No regrets. We sold our home last year and took delivery of our home-on-wheels January 2nd. Love it...and our new lifestyle. If I get the urge to pick weeds, I take a deep breath. If I still have the urge, I pick a few weeds

We took our time getting rid of stuff....and saying goodbye to our house and neighborhood of 25+years. We were ready when the time came...but still nervous.

With each day that passes....with every sunrise and sunset....we are grateful.

Best wishes to you.
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:56 PM   #18
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
HI ALL,
Enjoy this column. Reinforces our (my) desire to get out there!
Kids are grown doing their own thing and I don't want to be a babysitter!
Have been offered a six figure for our property by a developer and I had an auctioneer lined up, then hubby said "no". He wants a home to come home to! So, we bought our 2005 Montana in June and plan to go south for the winter. Hoping he will see the light.
My only concerns are: 1. age: 72 & 66 too old? 2. We don't like city traffic so will have to find ways around them. 3. Would like to find that special place for wintering.
Have been practicing backing & manuvering; also putting up & taking down. Will be ready by October when we plan to head to Bullshore in Arkansas for our first stop.
I look at fulltime this way. If we only get a few years doing it we can make the decision for something else then and we will have a good idea where we want to be....for sure no Wis. snow & cold.
I have learned so much from this forum. Thank you all.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:31 PM   #19
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
two hopefulls and a dog,
You have already received the main answers. If the weight difference is that critical and your just starting out, then you may need to look at a larger truck. MUST haves seem to find places in the truck or trailer.
As for the 4x4, I have one and use it for these type conditions. I used the 4x4 low range when pulling out of our parking area by the house becasue it had a good hill. the low range cut the speed in half and I did not have to slip the clutch at all making the corner and up the hill. Not needed but nice. As stated on wet grass so you do not tear it up and muddy areas. Also I had to back down one road about a quarter mile and used the low range to slow my speed down so the corrections in steering were less sever.
I you are staying main roads and improved camp sights then probably not. If you have it then it is there if you need it.
Good luck
John
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 08:50 PM   #20
Montana_1631
Established Member

M.O.C. #1631
two hopefuls and a dog; welcome and right now me and the wife are getting everything set as when I retire the next time we are selling everything we own and going full time. We just purchased our truck and we got the 3500 Duramax Chevy 1 ton dually and we made an offer today on a 2004 Montana 3655. We are getting everything ready to go so when I can retire we can get out of here. We have been putting this off for about the last 10 years and have decided to do it and go enjoy the rest of our life running around. My daughter says it is the first brilliant decision I've made lately. Oh our truck is 2 wheel drive but I agree with the other folks that it is personal preference, the reason for me is they made me a good deal on this truck and it was only 2 wheel drive so we went ahead bought. I hope that you enjoy full timing as we have had 2 motor homes and this time we decided to go with a 5th wheel and we feel this fills our needs better than a motor home.
Puz & Muz Pigpens
Duramax 3500 dually
Montana_1631 is offline   Reply With Quote