Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2011, 03:16 AM   #41
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Glad you got it taken care of. We're still waiting. Ours does not leak as long as we don't let them fill. BTW, our ESP has a provision to pay up to $375 in hotel cost per claim. Don't know if we'll need that or not.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:16 AM   #42
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Good news, Phil!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:56 AM   #43
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
One of the things we have noted about Good Sam's CSP plan is that they have never yet turned down any repair that my dealer has called in. They didn't need an adjuster to check anything; they just ok'd the repair.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #44
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Will, If you prearrange everything, i.e. get the tank ordered and received, arrange with the installer to drop it off early in the day, they should be able to get you done the same day. My folks said a 5 hour install and that is what the warranty company paid for. Good luck with yours. BTW. I did not need an adjuster or someone from the warranty company to check it out before repairs, this would have probably meant extra down time.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #45
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Will, If you prearrange everything, i.e. get the tank ordered and received, arrange with the installer to drop it off early in the day, they should be able to get you done the same day. My folks said a 5 hour install and that is what the warranty company paid for. Good luck with yours. BTW. I did not need an adjuster or someone from the warranty company to check it out before repairs, this would have probably meant extra down time.
Got the word today everything is approved. We've got two tanks to replace, one to patch. We'll see how it goes.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #46
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"BTW. I did not need an adjuster or someone from the warranty company to check it out before repairs, this would have probably meant extra down time.' That was good but just wanted to give the heads up that it can happen and to make really sure that the warranty company does not require that. We had no problem but the place that did the repair said it happens often.

Will strongly advice that you do some extra support under the tanks even if you have to pay for it.. If not they WILL leak again.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #47
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rich, that was helpful info, it made me really check out the warranty thing BEFORE we had it all done. Anyone having tank problems would do well to check everything out first. Better safe than sorry....... End of story (I hope!!!!!!).......
Old 01-14-2011, 01:59 AM   #48
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

"BTW. I did not need an adjuster or someone from the warranty company to check it out before repairs, this would have probably meant extra down time.' That was good but just wanted to give the heads up that it can happen and to make really sure that the warranty company does not require that. We had no problem but the place that did the repair said it happens often.

Will strongly advice that you do some extra support under the tanks even if you have to pay for it.. If not they WILL leak again.
I've been looking at what I will do....the supports they used up top on the lips don't allow much for strapping. I imagine I will do the supports myself. We are parked on a nice level slab, and I have a nice creeper to slide around under there.....any ideas welcome
Old 01-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #49
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
Just curious, are there any posts, pictures, etc. of how to improve the tank supports and connections? I wouldn't mind doing some of this to help prevent a possible problem, especially considering we are heading to Alaska next year and we don't have an extended warranty. Thanks in advance,
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:04 AM   #50
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Will..I did not see exactly what they did but they ran a support across the frame under the tanks with heavy foam material between the support and the tank . They said many Rv manufacturers use that method.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #51
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Will..I did not see exactly what they did but they ran a support across the frame under the tanks with heavy foam material between the support and the tank . They said many Rv manufacturers use that method.
I'll have to peak under the belly cover and see what's up under there and maybe fab something to help support them. Thanks,
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #52
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
UPDATE: Noticed this last Friday that there was still a leak under the belly. Monday morning I called Norris RV and that afternoon they had the tech out that replaced the tank. He pulled part of belly down and "DISCOVERED" a leak in the flusher valve. Ordered one and will install when it comes in. He stated he should have replaced it when he had the tank out, as he usually does, but with a crack in the tank he figured that was the only problem. He will go back to replacing that valve whenever he replaced the tanks in the future. Kind of made me wonder IF that was the problem to begin with, but he said the tank was cracked near the filler valve (the other end of the tank). I will not persue that further, benefit of the doubt I give them......

My suggestion to anyone replacing the tank is to have that valve replaced at the same time. Not that much more money involved, of course, I am not paying anymore than what I ALREADY PAID, for sure.....

Hopefully this will end this saga!!!!! Thanks for bearing with me everyone!!!!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #53
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
This is the point when my blood pressure goes into the red zone....
Old 01-27-2011, 02:15 AM   #54
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Phil did the installer use any expansion joints in the install of the tank? Some have talked about rubber at the tees and straps to help support the tanks.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:46 AM   #55
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
He did not strap it for sure, but did use the rubber flex fittings on the joints. He did say the tank they installed was actually 1 1/2 inches deeper than the OEM and should give me more capacity. Didn't say how much more, just more.....Maybe that means it will fit tighter into the space. Don't know for sure.....
Old 01-27-2011, 08:37 AM   #56
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

He did not strap it for sure, but did use the rubber flex fittings on the joints. He did say the tank they installed was actually 1 1/2 inches deeper than the OEM and should give me more capacity. Didn't say how much more, just more.....Maybe that means it will fit tighter into the space. Don't know for sure.....
Phil, bigger tank...no strapping...a potential problem in the future????
Old 01-28-2011, 03:13 AM   #57
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
They're supposed to be here today to install a new black and gray water tank...gonna patch the galley tank. We have not rushed them. The tanks are usable as long as we don't overfill them. Then, I'll look at ways to support the tanks.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #58
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
If the replacement tank was not the same as the original tank, it is not a OEM tank from Keystone, who uses Travel Star, ABS tanks, I went to a RV store in my area and they dont purchase from Travel Star, I guess because it has to be a autherised dealer to buy them. but when you have to get a item fixed, I guess that what you have to do.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #59
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

If the replacement tank was not the same as the original tank, it is not a OEM tank from Keystone, who uses Travel Star, ABS tanks, I went to a RV store in my area and they dont purchase from Travel Star, I guess because it has to be a autherised dealer to buy them. but when you have to get a item fixed, I guess that what you have to do.
Our tanks came from TS. I notice a slight difference in the distant of the drain from the end of the tank. I noticed another thing; they are piped with schedule 40 ABS pipe. When they cut the drain from the toilet to the tank, the pipe jumped over at least an inch and a half. Heck of a bind if you ask me.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #60
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I was told they ordered from Keystone so not too worried about the replacement tank. Who knows, maybe a better tank or maybe not!!!!! I figure I got another 4 years worth so what the heck!!!!