Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2008, 03:08 AM   #1
sdgwynn

M.O.C. #8198
High Gloss Gel coat

We are in the process of buying a new 2955RL. One dealer informed me that the High Gloss Gel coat fiberglass would turn yellow or spot after about a year. He also said the finish was much harder to take care of. Can any of you help me with this?

sdgwynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:24 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yes - avoid that Dealer. He is trying to guide you away from something he cannot provide. He does not deserve his job.

The hi gloss is actually supposed to be a better exterior finish over the filon, which explains why it is standard on the higher end units and unavailable on the lower end units. The Montana is kind of inbetween so it is optional.

I won't get into whether it is worth it or not, as that topic is sealed inside one of those worm cans on the MOC shelf like slide toppers and size of truck, and I'm not going to be the one to open that can . He have hi-gloss and it is purty.

Welcome to the MOC
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:26 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
the dealer is usually the last person to listen to... Google High Gloss gel coat and learn. They are both Gloss gelcoat. The high gloss has another coat of finish and it looks better, The front and rear cap are already High Gloss gel coat. Our 3400 non high gloss gelcoat is 20 months old and spends a lot of time on the road.We do not note any difference in the care or appearence between the front cap, rear cap and the rest of the camper. Personal choice and they do look better..close up. We have never seen a High Gloss gel coat yellow but it is said that they will...over time..but any gel coat will do that..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:37 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree. That dealer was telling you the exact opposite. We had the high gloss on our 2003 Montana and when we traded it four years later it looked like new.

If you look around you'll find some older rigs with high gloss on the main body but the standard filon on the baggage doors. And those baggage doors are yellowed while the main body is not.

I think saying either of the finishes will yellow in a year is off base, also. It takes several years, maybe a lot of years, before you'll see noticeable yellowing of the filon finish. You'll see it on some of the vent covers more quickly, though.

I'd run, not walk, away from that dealer.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:41 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
It is the Filon that yellows Rich, not the Hi-gloss. (On Edit - Steve and I posted at the same time, but I believe we are saying the same thing)

A word of caution. Unless something changed for 2008, the Montana hi-gloss option does not include cabinet doors or slide siding panels. Those remain filon and will eventually yellow from the sun causing those pieces to stand out as a different color. The cabinet doors are more susceptible to the yellowing than the slide side panels because most rigs are parked with the slides in the majority of the time.

Hi-gloss cabinet doors are standard on the Big Sky. If you are ambitious you can actually order the Big Sky doors to replace the Montana doors, but it was not something that they were willing to do at the factory as an upgrade at the time of our purchase.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:57 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
And on the subject of Salesmen I can only quote a good friend, " Salesmen are like Slinkys, Not good for much but they make you laugh when you kick them down the stairs"... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:04 AM   #7
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Gel coat is gel coat, ask anyone who has or had owned a boat. I have a 23 ft cruiser and the white part of the gel coat has not yellowed over time but is not as white as it was before. The colored parts of the boat will fade and chaulk and takes allot of work to keep it looking good. My boat is a 96 model Fourwinns and still looks brand new because of keeping it covered, waxed and I use 303 ultraviolet UV protector on it, that stuff is great. I plan on putting this on my rig when the weather turns good and it can be applied, also works great for keeping black streaks off.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:07 AM   #8
TMerrell
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7988
We've had both. Last was gel coat, current one is filon. Standing right next to the rig the gel coat is nicer looking. I personally can't tell the difference from about 20 feet, or so.

The gel coat adds weight to the rig. The dealer said add about an extra 600 pounds on our previous 34' Montana. Seemed like alot for an extra coat or two, but I had no way to verify it.
TMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:38 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TMerrell

The dealer said add about an extra 600 pounds on our previous 34' Montana.
There's that Dealer talkin again! I think it's closer to 200 lbs.

I think with the MOC, the only thing you really need the Dealer to do is point you to where they parked the Montanas.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:17 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Keystone used to quote 600 lbs as the weight of the high gloss optino. After we questioned that a year or two ago, Keystone looked into it and told us 600 lbs is the weight of the gelcoat, on average. They also said the filon siding weighs 400 and that therefore the high gloss option ADDS 200 lbs, not 600, to the weight.

As for maintenance, the gelcoat is far easier to clean because of the smooth surface, We, too, have had both (2001 Montana with filon). On the gelcoat, the black streaks come off far more easily if not left on too long. Often they'll just wipe off. Sometimes, or if left on too long, then a cleaner is needed but because of the smooth surface they're easier to remove. At least that's how it works for me.

On the baggage doors, some may recall my being very upset when our 2007 arrived with filon doors instead of high gloss. Our 2003 had high gloss baggage doors. Baggage and propane lockers. I am here to tell you that if you have a good dealer he can order the doors. It's been a year and a half since we got ours but plan on spending at least a thousand bucks. I still think Keystone should make these standard when the high gloss is ordered.

I was told the reason they switched was the weight of the high gloss doors. That they would sag because of the size and the side hinges. Yes, there is a very, very slight sag. Just enough that the upper lock tabs wanted to pop loose on occasion. I just bought longer tabs and put them on the latches. Problem solved. No sag is visible. I'm very happy with the new doors although I still think Keystone should make them standard.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:38 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I am here to tell you that if you have a good dealer he can order the doors.
And I'm here to tell you that after restart of the plant in 2007 all of the gel coat doors in inventory were held for production of the Big Sky that was behind and Nappannee has limited production. We have an excellent Dealer, but unless you got your doors before Dec 06, you weren't getting them nor would they even accept an order at the factory parts center.

That should all be cured now, but I don't want my Dealer to take a bad rap because of assumptions.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:08 PM   #12
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I love the gel coat. But my front cap must not be gel coated, because it is dulling. I have tried several waxes but they do not bring out the shine. You can still see swirls of dull color.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
About Filon, Gel coat and high Gloss http://www.carwash.com/article.asp?IndexID=6636659
Old 02-19-2008, 01:25 PM   #14
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
exnavydiver - Dave, I resemble your salesman remark. Been selling RV's almost 30 yr's. I've sold regular gel coat and Hi-gloss. I've owned both. Hi-gloss is much easer to maintain and looks good longer. It does weigh more, and it costs more. Personally, I think it's worth it. It does help resale. As for ordering a Montana with Hi-gloss, the last time I checked, the compartment doors were not Hi-gloss and could not be ordered. Now, with the Big Sky having Hi-gloss standard, compartment doors and all, you can probably order (purchase) the doors. Well, think I'll Slink on out of here for now. hmmmmmm Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:03 PM   #15
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have a 04 2980RL and if any problem I had was NONE I kinda wish they did the gel on the front and rear caps. Wash it and it shines.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
From Rich's post, assuming some credibility from the article author, it would seem gel-coat would be an incorrect term for the Montana siding and is more appropriate for the hull of a boat.

Given the 5 different grades of Filon, it would seem High Gloss Filon is the more appropriate term. My original brochure calls out a High-Gloss Fiberglass option. No mention of gel-coat. I think the product is the same, but use of a mold is probably non-existent or limited to a single sheet surface where the gel is applied followed by the remaining laminate sheets.

Thanks Rich.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:46 AM   #17
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Well, we have added information, and some humor to this thread but am sure it was not personal.

Kerry, I have a 2008 3400 Hi-glossed slinky looking 5th wheel. You and Brad indicated no Hi-gloss on slides and doors for the Montana? I did not know that. Coupling that with Rich's link I guess you would use different applications upkeep for the unit then???

When I travel back to our son's home in Chillicothe OH via US35 I'll slow at Fraziers Bottom WV to try and get a view of a slinky salesrep!! They maybe hard to capture a pix of in their true habitat whatever that is.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 02:41 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Looking at panels at the factory we noted the difference was in the thickness between the gel coat and the hi gloss gel coat. There are other links besides the one I provided.I thought that one was very informative. Sometimes we get all tangled up in what we think is correct, what someone told us was correct or what marketing says is correct and we need to go back and do some information gathering to find out what
really is correct. The only reason we did not get the high Gloss gel coat after we made a zillion phone calls to find out that it did not add 600 lbs to the camper..same with the dual pane windows reference Weight and efficiency was that we decided to use the money for, for us , more practical options, Like the slideout toppers, and W/D, 2nd A/C..It was a cost vs benefit decision.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:58 AM   #19
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Dennis, the slides are Hi-gloss, it's just the compartment doors that are not. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:20 AM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
When I say the slides are not gloss - I'm talking about the side of the slides that gets retracted. The face is gloss. I never thought of it until I saw a high end coach with actual high gloss on those side walls.

Rick - you're confusing me. I thought the article ruled out the term "gel-coat" to boats