Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2006, 06:08 AM   #21
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Skoobdo, your avatar shows your Montana has the new nose. So it probably has the convenience hookup center inside the basement storage door, too, right? If so, then your low point drains are inside in the heated area. Older rigs have them outside where they freeze quickly. Also, you probably have the new style water line routing in the belly, like we do. Ours are in a separate insulated channel just below the floor and above the subfloor, where they tend to stay warmer. Older rigs had the lines laying loose in the belly, lying on the frame, where they'd freeze rather quickly. With our 2003 we had lots of freezing problems and I had to take serious measures to keep us from freezing up. With the new Montana we've had no problems at all. I'd bet that's why you have no problems but still read about others having freezing problems. Correct me if I am wrong about your rig.
sreigle, you're right, I do have the water inlet and the low point drain lines in the basement storage (convenience center), and have the water lines running along the furnace duct. The campground spigot is located about 2feet or a little less in the ground which I filled up with R19 insulation including bags of insulation. The water line all the way to spigot is wrapped with the heat tape. The thermostat to the heat tape is close to the ground and "slightly" wrapped. According to your post, it appears that the Montana has very much improved these units to withstand the colder regions. Now I'm glad I waited on the 2006, because there was a 2005 unit on the dealer's lot, but I liked all the new options that Montana was coming out with, so I ordered mine. I will say one thing that I have mentioned before on a different thread, but when I set my therostat at 70 degrees it gets very warm in here so I leave it on 65 during the days. The house that I had lived in never got that warm when I set the thermostat at 70 degrees. I guess because these units are small, it doesn't take much to heat them up.

SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:47 AM   #22
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Another thing I've noticed is that the area located behind the convenience center (the area that has all those water hoses and cable/satelite wires) is the warmest place in the basement, and I figure it's very warm there because at least on my unit, the toliet room sits right above it and there's a furnace duct running from that area into the toliet room. So the water lines in that area definetly should not freeze as long as you have the furnace on. I just put a themometer down there for about 20 minutes and it's reading at 59 degrees and the other open space in the basement is reading at 55. I'll check again on a really cold day, when the temps drop near zero and I'll let you guys know.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:07 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours is on the opposite side from the toilet room but is right next to the furnace compartment. Plus, ours has the cold air return in the vertical part of the lower step to the bathroom area. That is open to the area behind that covering for the connection center so heat from inside the Montana is getting to the area. This is on a 3400RL. That cold air return also allows a pretty strong draft of cool air along the floor, though, when the furnace is not running.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #24
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Maybe I'm glad I have the 3400 before they changed it to the steps. Never thought about the draft. I liked the cupboard that happened from the change of the cold air return to the steps. Ours is in the kitchen and we don't have the cupboard on the LR side (by the entertainment center) of the island. But the step box is empty and we plan on doing something with that.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:55 AM   #25
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I have not investigated the belly of our 3670. I plan on doing this next summer if I am not on the road. I am sure I will be surprised or maybe not surprised at what I find. I would definitely make some changes and improvements on standard construction. I also will not make it a habit to stay in an area where the temps. get below 30 degrees for a prolong amount of time. That to me is the easier way of winterizing.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:39 AM   #26
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:

Ours is on the opposite side from the toilet room but is right next to the furnace compartment. Plus, ours has the cold air return in the vertical part of the lower step to the bathroom area. That is open to the area behind that covering for the connection center so heat from inside the Montana is getting to the area. This is on a 3400RL. That cold air return also allows a pretty strong draft of cool air along the floor, though, when the furnace is not running.
You are right, there is a heck of a draft from that opening under the steps. In fact these things are so drafty, I've been loosely covering that opening with a piece of rug to reduce the amount of cold air coming in there. With all the other drafts, I think the furnace can do fine without this hole being totally open.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cat320

You are right, there is a heck of a draft from that opening under the steps. In fact these things are so drafty, I've been loosely covering that opening with a piece of rug to reduce the amount of cold air coming in there. With all the other drafts, I think the furnace can do fine without this hole being totally open.
I've wondered about doing that, too, but have no idea just how much of that opening is needed to keep from straining the furnace. If anyone has any knowledge of how much can safely be covered I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.

Cat, do you drape something over the step so it reaches the floor but air can come in around the edges? We have a carpet runner on the steps and I could pull the screws I anchored it with and let it drape to the floor if that wouldn't be a problem. Maybe a space or two in strategic locations would hold it open enough to cut down the draft and still allow sufficient air to the furnace.

David, I hear you but we have failed to get any of our kids and grandkids to move to a warmer climate so until that happens we'll be here through Christmas each holiday season. When we first started fulltiming our daughter and husband lived in Panama City, FL, so that was our intended winter destination. Before the first winter they transferred to Columbus, OH. Then they divorced and now all three kids are in the Kansas City area. I keep trying but....
Old 12-20-2006, 12:56 PM   #28
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
We have a scrap piece of carpet that roughly fills in the space where the air intake is located. It does not seal it, but does cover most of it. Like you, I was hesitant to block this off totally (so I didn't), but with all the drafts I feel on the floor seems to me the furnace should 'breathe' fine. Be anxious to hear what others have to say.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 01:07 PM   #29
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
This weekend is my first test run at winter camping and it is supposed to be in the 30's with rain on Sunday and 34 on Monday. Overnights are supposed to be in the 20's in Northern Oklahoma. My unit is a lot smaller than most of yours but I hope it holds up well to the elements. I can't wait for this test run. If all goes well I am going to give up the house. It would be nice to be able to downsize to a 330RKBS household.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #30
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I had a winter route that I have used for 5 years. This year I decided to try something different. I usually volunteer in Panama City Oct. through Dec. Then Palm Harbor Jan. through March, then back to Panama City April and May. Then from there who knows.
That worked well and will be my plan again next year.
I like my Montana, but when it gets cold, it just cold.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:47 PM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cat320

I've wondered about doing that, too, but have no idea just how much of that opening is needed to keep from straining the furnace. If anyone has any knowledge of how much can safely be covered I'd sure appreciate hearing about it.

Cat, do you drape something over the step so it reaches the floor but air can come in around the edges? We have a carpet runner on the steps and I could pull the screws I anchored it with and let it drape to the floor if that wouldn't be a problem. Maybe a space or two in strategic locations would hold it open enough to cut down the draft and still allow sufficient air to the furnace.
I just had this thought. Would it be possible to somehow install one-way louvers - similar to those white plastic dryer vents, but obviously larger, and maybe not white - inside that wooden grille, that would block any back flow of cold air?

Ozz, where are you???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:38 PM   #32
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
UPDATE: I changed out another 100lb propane tank yesterday. I hooked it up on December 4th (lasted 3 weeks and 1 day). Of course several weeks earlier than the last one I hooked up. I guess it's colder now, so I'm using more I'm still waiting for it to stay in the teens again so I can post some replies to a few posters regarding the basement tempature and the frequency of the furnace going on/off etc. I'll check back soon. Allison
Old 01-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #33
Mike-n-Jen
Established Member

M.O.C. #6517
Quote:
quote:I just had this thought. Would it be possible to somehow install one-way louvers - similar to those white plastic dryer vents, but obviously larger, and maybe not white - inside that wooden grille, that would block any back flow of cold air?

Ozz, where are you???
^ Thats a good idea ^ louvers... You have started the wheels to turning in my head now.

I have been having a hard time keeping the house feeling warm inside. Granted I havent finished with the window film yet. But we are using a bottle of propane every four days or so. Im brainstorming ways to make the house more energy effecient and cozy.

Louvers might help

Mike
Mike-n-Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:18 AM   #34
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Mike, are you using electric heaters or your fireplace?
Old 01-05-2007, 04:24 AM   #35
Mike-n-Jen
Established Member

M.O.C. #6517
dsprik, yes we are using the fireplace and a ceramic heater along wiht the furnace. If you would, check out the "Its cold in here" thread I started last night in the winter camping section. It explains our situation pretty well. I would like to know your thoughts on this.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 01-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #36
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Mike, just got on this thread. I'll check your other thread. There are many on here that are cold weather camping experts. We will all try to help. This is a great forum.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:17 PM   #37
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mike, on our previous Montana we put some foamboard up against the walls in back of cupboards that are on outside walls. Where there was room along the back wall I put insulation batts with foamboard over that. That was under the desk and inside the peninsula area along the back cap. Also, the water heater was back there and there was a large hole in the rear wall for wiring to come though. I shoved a bunch of insulation in that hole, too. It all helped.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #38
Mike-n-Jen
Established Member

M.O.C. #6517
This is a great forum! Thanks a ton for sharing your thoughs and experiences with us.

As time permits I am whittling away at setting the Monty up better for cold weather. Your suggestions have helped quite a bit, every step is making things better and better. I am very thhankfull that the Monty is set up as well as it is, and that the plumbing is set up to take cold weather so well. That is a HUGE load off my mind! We really like this RV

Thanks again!
Mike
Old 01-17-2007, 01:47 PM   #39
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
UPDATE: I just ran out of propane today again. I hooked up a fresh tank on December 26th and today January 16th it was empty. So that was exactly 3 weeks. The last time it was 3 weeks and 1 day. So, it appears as though 3 weeks is the average right now. I also changed up something the last time (dec 26) I hooked up my fresh propane tank, and stopped using the space heaters and kept the thermostat where I've always kept it and the propane still lasted 3 weeks. I don't quite get it??? I will check my electric bill, which should be lower on my next due date (feb 1st), and if so, I won't be using the heaters anymore only until I go to sleep...just for my bedroom. This weekend when I have time I will make certain I calculate how long my furnace runs time on/off and when it kicks again. Since my propane usuage was the same as last month, I plan to kick up my furnace to 70 and see how long my propane last without space heaters. I have a feeling it may be more cost effective to just use the furnace most times, but I'll let you guys know.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:05 PM   #40
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
....also my basement temparture this morning was 45 degrees and it was 16 degrees outside. The basement temparture has not dropped below 40 so far this winter. On warmer days like 35-40 its closer to 50 degrees down there. I've had no freeze ups and no condensation...no nothing. I'll see what happens when/if it gets into the sub-zero temps and will post back.