Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #1
Richard
Established Member

M.O.C. #2499
Goodyear G614RST tires Vs. Tacoma tires

We had our 2nd blowout a couple of weeks ago, so I sprung for 5 (including spare) new Goodyear tires.

Wow.....what a difference in weight and appearance! They're so much beefier, it's hard to quantify in print.

Just got them mounted, but I expect the Goodyears to perform without blowing out and taking half the coach with them. (Like the Tacoma's seem to be wont to do.)

About $170.00 each from Walmart in Kerrville Texas. "Discount" tire wanted $235 each......why do they call that place "Discount" anyway??

I just put the model number in the subject heading so that it would be easier to comment on them at some point in the future.

Keeping my fingers crossed..........

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:46 AM   #2
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Richard thanks for the information. I have the same model unit as yourself. I have not had any problems as of this date, but who knows. I keep my pressure checked and have had them balanced. The manufactuers really need to start the practice of balancing their tires before they deliver to a dealer. It does help the ride somewhat and defintely the life of the tire.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Richard:
I am becoming more educated on this subject of tires in the recent weeks. I am referring to the subject that has recently been discussed concerning "blow out updates" authored by Stiles Watson. When first reading this post, I really wasn't relating it to myself, as I haven't had any trouble to date with my tires. This is of course due to the fact that I have a 2005 3400RL and don't have alot of miles on it yet. Yes, I do have the Tacoma brand tire and before I had bought the Montana, I had never heard of a Tacoma brand tire before. Now at least I know that they are distributed from the Cooper tire co. Up to now, I haven't heard too much about blowouts, but I often wondered about that possibility and what I would do if I had one. I hope I never have one, but the thought of traveling 45 miles an hour on a down grade and having a blow out is quite scary.
Just curious, because I have been asking some questions on the other post, but do you know what your "pin weight and your remaining weight on your trailer is? My 05 3400RL as loaded, has a pin weight of 2320 lbs and a remaining trailer weight of 12,300 lbs. At this weight, I am a little over weight on each tire of aprox. 42 lbs. I'm sure that the tire manufacturer's build a little cushion in their spec's but I would certainly feel more comfortable being in the range advertised by the tire spec's.

How many miles did you have on the Tacomas before the blowout? What conditions were present when the blow out occurred - hot, down hill, etc.? Up to the blow out occurring was there any noticeble tire cracking on the side walls or irregular tire wear?

Hope you have better luck with the new tires made by goodyear. I have always been a Michelin man up to this point, but I don't know if Michelin makes a suitable tire for trailering a 5er.
Thanks for the post and hope you can give me some feed back.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:12 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gary, just to set your mind at ease, you may not even know you lost a tire until someone pulls alongside and points it out to you or you happen to stop and see it. We've had a few, between fifthwheels and boat trailers, and I did not know about any of them until someone pulled up and told me. One happened when we were running 65 mph, the others at various speeds. The boat trailer blowouts were when the boat trailer was being towed behind a fifthwheel, not when attached directly to the truck. Still, no sway back there that I could see.

Richard, I'm very intereste in your new tires. Thanks for posting that. I think many of us would appreciate updates from time to time to let us know how those tires are holding up. Eventually we'll need new tires, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Steve:
Thanks for the heads up on the tire blowout. I have to admit, I haven't lost any sleep over this issue, but it has caused me some concern. I would have thought, due to all the weight of the 5er, that a blow out would definitely be noticed. Yes one tire would be left, but you'd think you'd hear the grinding of the wheel rim on the pavement or some movement of the 5er would cause a person to take notice. Thanks again for the reasurance, it does ease my fear a little.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:22 PM   #6
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116

Here's the specs:

http://www.goodyear.com/truck/produc...R16_GData.html

Load Index/Speed Symbol = 126/123L
Maximum load at minimum cold inflation at 75 mph max speed.
Single 3,750 lb at 110 psi (1700 kg at 760 kPa)
Dual 3,415 lb at 110 psi (1550 kg at 760 kPa)

psi-----------------80-------85-------90-------130
Dual lbs-----2778(E)---2885-----3005-----3415(G)
Single
lbs------------3042(E)---3170-----3300-----3750(G)
Note: For maximum wear and performance, inflation pressure may be increased 10 psi with no increase in load.

DIMENSIONAL SPECS
Tread Depth = 12 /32" Overall Diameter = 30.7 in.
Tread Radius (in) = 14
Design Rim Width = 6.5 in. Static Loaded Radius = 14.4 in.
Approved rims: DEXTER AXLE 16X6K*, ALCOA 16X7J*
New Tire Width* = 9.5 in. Tire Weight= 58 lb.
Loaded Tire Width* = 10.2 in. Revs per mile = 671 rpm (416 Revs per km)
Minimum Dual Spacing* = 10.8 Gross Contact Area = 40 sq.in.
Tread Contact Width = 7.3
Retread Buffing Radius = in. Retread Base Width Range = in.
Description = TL, NHTSA
Usage Note: * RIMS MUST BE APPROVED FOR 3750 LB LOAD AND 110 PSI.

I don't know if the steel rims on the 05's are the Dexter Axle 16x6k. The red accents are mine.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote