Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2005, 03:45 AM   #1
Jim and Marcia
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2227
Hi Gloss Gel Coat

We are shopping for a new 5th wheel camper and are trying to decide which options to include. Is the hi gloss gel coat worth the extra money---is it easier to clean? We don't wash our camper on a regular basis so it gets pretty "buggy". Would it be easier if we had the hi gloss gel coating?

Jim and Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 03:56 AM   #2
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Hi Jim and Marcia, welcome to MOC.

We recently ordered a new 3475 and went through the same decisions as you on options. You can do a search of gel coat and see many posts from the past. A number of people on this site swear by the gel coat they have. We opted to not get it based on experiences my brother in law had in the past and on advice from a friend in the business. We wax our unit each spring and fall and the 2750 we had looked as good last fall when we sold it as it did in 2000 when we bought it. Regarding the buggy part, keep in mind that the front and rear end caps are gel coat anyways. Also keep in mind that the gel coat sides add about 600lbs to the dry weight of the trailer.

Your main concern on the sides are the black streaks from the roof. I found that the regular waxing made these easy to clean off.

Certainly the gel coat sides look very nice so you really can't go wrong either way.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 08:26 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think Chester is right, it's a matter of personal preference. We did not have the hi gloss on our first Montana and did get it on the second. If there's a third, it will have the hi-gloss. I think it looks very nice, very shiny, and is considerably easier to clean. It does add weight but our truck can't tell the difference in 600 more pounds when you look at the overall weight of the Montana. As Chester said, it won't help with bugs on the nose since the nose and rear caps are the same regardless of hi gloss sides or not.

Chester, what problems did your friend have? We had problems with bubbles in the non-hi gloss but Keystone fixed them. And I've heard of others same way but have never heard of anyone having a problem with the hi gloss. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just that I've never heard of any so would like to hear what problems they had. Thanks.

I have never waxed ours in 31 months, other than the nose. I do want to wax it one of these days but it's still pretty shiny after 31 months.

Again both finishes are perfectly serviceable. It's kinda like the wheel rims. Do you get the standard white steel rims or the nice, shiny aluminum rims? Personal choice. By the way, I sure regret not getting the nice rims, but that's just me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 08:49 AM   #4
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
WE also opted not to get the gel coat finish on our new 3475 Montana. It does look nice, but the extra weight and possible problems down the road web cracking stopped us. I had that problem on a large boat we had. After a few years, I began to see small spider web cracks in the gel coat. I know that Montana makes a sturdy side, but we decided we wouldn't take a chance.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475RL Montana
2000 Ford F350 Diesel
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I did not get the high gloss gel coat on my 3400RL and now looking back wish I would have. I do have four coats of wax on the coach and that helps with the cleaning, but I do like the looks of the high gloss better. Steve, I did get the Aluminum wheels, do you want to talk trade? I will give you my wheels for your high gloss?? =) When the time comes to purchase my next coach I will be getting the high gloss.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:28 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We don't have the gel coat but sure do wish we did. Our next rig will have it.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:36 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Montana Sky, I'd trade wheels for wheels but I'm keeping the hi-gloss!

Ken, the hi-gloss gelcoat is not like on a boat or the end caps on the Montana. It's more like a shiny panel. I have not heard of any web cracking or cracking of any kind with this and would not expect that to happen. So far we've had zero problems with it. I would agree if it were like a boat because of the stresses going down the road but it's a different material. It is heavy though.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:30 PM   #8
Montana_3028
Established Member

M.O.C. #3028
I was asking th salesperson about the high gloss as well and was not sure...Besides the weight factor, he told me that if it rains or you wash it...you need to make sure to dry it off with a towel...or it will water spot more than the normal coating....not sure if this is true or not..but thought I would pass it along
Montana_3028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 05:25 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
This one never ever gets water wiped off of it, not even after washing, and the only time I've seen noticeable water spotting is once in New Mexico when I washed it with their well water. Our drinking water was from the city lines but they had well water for washing the rigs. That water had so many minerals in it it was unbelievably spotted. The truck, too. But that would have been the case no matter what the siding on the Montana.

Another thing, after towing the Montana in the rain I have a couple of times taken just a damp rag and wiped it down. It cleans up easily that way.

A year ago another MOC'er stopped to visit us in our RV park in Austin, Tx. As he approached our Montana at dusk when light was not real good, he asked me how many coats of wax it took to make it that shiny. I informed him it has never been waxed... 'nuff said.

Gamer1624, thanks for posting that. Even though I don't agree with that salesman I think it's important to get all the thoughts and opinions out so those trying to make a decision can make an informed one.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:59 PM   #10
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Steve, the experiences I've had with Gel Coat were based on my brother in laws Newmar Mountainaire Class A. His was a 1998 and after about 3 years it started to "chalk up". Nothing he did fixed it despite him working harder at it than I did our Monty. He vowed never to get Gel Coat again. His next coach was going to be painted.

I've only waxed ours twice a year and honestly don't find it difficult to keep clean. I also know a fellow in the RV business and he advised against the gel coat for the very reasons my B-I-L had. I was about to order it on our new 3475 but dropped that option at the last moment.

A couple of the fulltimers at the camp where we keep our Monty for the summer have gel coat on their Class A's but have had that permashine type of treatment done. They do it every year and you can see your reflection in the gel coat just like it was a mirror.

Regarding spider cracks, a camping buddy of ours has a 2003 2955 that has spider cracks on the rear cap. It has never been hit and he sent pictures to Keystone this past fall. This is one Keystone backed away from on support. Said it was past warranty.

Again, I think it's a matter of preference but with the price increase (about $400) on the gel coat option this year I just didn't feel it was worth it.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:52 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Brad, someone in this forum had some spider cracks in the rear cap (or was it front). I think it was covered but I'm not sure if it was in warranty or out. I've not seen anyone having problems with the hi-gloss but will continue to watch for that. I'm not sure if a Class A has the same kind of finish as the Montana or not. 1998 was in the early years of this finish so maybe they're better now? Who knows. Anyhow, we've had no problems but if we ever do we'll make sure it gets posted here. By the way, I think you meant $1400 rather than $400 for the additional cost of the hi-gloss, unless we got ripped off.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:41 AM   #12
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Hi Steve, I meant the price increase for the option is about $400 more than what is was.

You may have a point about the 1998 gel coats not being as good as the newer ones. I may do the perma shine on mine this year. It looks like it is weathering quite well. I know about 4 people that have had it applied by a local fellow.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:26 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Now I'm with you, Brad. Sorry I thought you meant total price and figured you just missed the first digit! Maybe I'm the only one who does that!

Do you have a link for the permashine folks? I'm not familiar with the products and when I did a Google search I get mostly a rock band named Permashine, believe it or not. That and military shoes. In my day those shoes were called 'corfam'. Now they're 'permashine'.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:08 PM   #14
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Steve, I don't have the name of the "permashine" products. A local fellow comes to your house or campsite to wash your trailer and apply this stuff. He charges $10 per foot for the first application and then I believe it's $7/ft in following years. That's about 50 cents US / foot isn't it!!!!

All kidding aside I'll see this fellow in May and will get the lowdown and let you know.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:12 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Brad. I don't know the conversion rate so have no idea how much that is US. Will look forward to the info.