Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Issue with Draining Holding Tanks

I have a 2018 3721RL which was purchased in Oct 2018. The first time I had the trailer out I had an issue with draining the black tank. Realizing just for a 2 night trip the tank didn't have that much contents, it did not drain thus I took it back in and they supposedly fixed it with no explanation. Through time through the year I have finally realized to get a good drain from the black tank, I have to raise the front end upwards to 1.2" plush inches then it drains good.

As anyone else experienced such? I would have thought the tanks would have been installed to properly drain when the trailer is level. All other fifth-wheels we have owned drained at a level position. I have just accepted the fact now to raise the front when I drain the tanks, even though it doesn't make sense why I should.

glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:42 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Watch this video. Factory tour.
https://youtu.be/cV0OZv0bCgc

Holding tanks at 3.55 and 9 minutes.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:43 PM   #3
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Watch this video. Factory tour.
https://youtu.be/cV0OZv0bCgc

Holding tanks at 3.55 and 9 minutes.

Thanks for the video link. As they note, raise the front end to dump with the Montana. First I knew of that and even after me taking it back with an issue the dealer didn't advise of such. I bet they don't even know it!
Old 09-30-2019, 07:03 AM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We did the factory tour at the Annual Rally. Looking at the tanks on the shelf some had end drains, some had side drains. If you stop the video at 10:30 mins and zoom in you can see how the plumbing is run between the black tank and grey tank (black tank has 3" pipe fittings). I'm guessing after you drain and flush your black tank and grey tanks you can lower the left side of the rig to drain the pipe so there is no residual liquid.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:13 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I have never had to raise the front or side to get a good drain. I have found it necessary to have the black tank filled at least half full to get good flow. The minor trickle I sometimes get at the next stop is no big deal, I wait til I am hooked up to open the valves.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Raising front for tank drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1retired06 View Post
I have never had to raise the front or side to get a good drain. I have found it necessary to have the black tank filled at least half full to get good flow. The minor trickle I sometimes get at the next stop is no big deal, I wait til I am hooked up to open the valves.

Likewise, I never had to raise the front on any of our other fifth-wheels in the past, but with this model Montana I guess it is the way the tanks are laying from what the video notes. It definitely doesn't do a good drain unless the front is upwards of 1.2".
Old 09-30-2019, 12:37 PM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I had an issue getting my tank to drain when I had very little in it. Me dealer recommended right side and front high to fully drain the tank.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #8
boisesmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23951
Black tank drain

So, I'm expected to unhook from my truck to raise the trailer to get a complete dump?
boisesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #9
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
No, it just goes faster
Old 10-09-2019, 11:52 PM   #10
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
No, it just goes faster
Not sure if it is just my rig or what, but if I don't raise the nose, I do not get a good drain at all. I finally realized by kicking the front in up 1.2", I then get a good drain from the tank. No big deal sitting on a site, but if I was dropping at a dump site and knowing I was not going to be using the unit for a while, I would have to unhitch and lift the front in. Don't make good common sense!
Old 10-10-2019, 04:36 AM   #11
Wayner197
Established Member

M.O.C. #21715
My 2018 3721RL does the same thing. Does better when full but drains slow when actually level.
Tip: After setting auto level, check front to back level manually with a good carpenter’s level (I use the bottom lip of the basement opening). I have to manually raise the front about an inch or two to achieve actual level.
2015 F-350 4x4 Powerstroke SRW
Wayner197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:51 AM   #12
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
Wayne,

you may want to do a Zero Point Calibration on your level-up so the AutoLevel does it for you.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...p.html?page=12
2015 F350 XLT Crew Dually 20K B&W Companion
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #13
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkware View Post
Wayne,

you may want to do a Zero Point Calibration on your level-up so the AutoLevel does it for you.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...p.html?page=12
I checked my level status after doing the level-up function and the unit is level. I guess the drain issue is simply a matter of the factory not installing the tanks so that they drain properly in a level position. Naturally if the tank is full I get a 90 plus percent drain but until I raise the noise it doesn't totally drain. When the unit isn't going to be used for a few weeks naturally you want all the drain you can get to clean it out then place some water back in the tank. I guess I will just deal with it by raising the front when draining.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #14
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
What I found with our HC is that while the black tank drains slowly, it's really not a problem. My fix is to install a Valterra knife valve at the outlet. Keeping it closed, pull the black tank handle and let it fill the line then dump it out. Next, I pull the gray bathroom tank handle after closing the Valterra valve, leaving the black tank valve open. This in turn will back flush the black tank. Wait a minute or two then open the Valterra valve once more. I then close that BR gray tank valve as well as the Valterra and open the kitchen tank to, again, backflush the black tank. I then open the Valterra again after a minute or so.

Now, will that completely clean the black tank - not really as there will be an inch of sludge on the bottom that will only come out with an aggressive multiple flush but it for sure drags a lot more out then just opening the black tank valve and hoping it fully dumps. Using the built in tank flusher is barely worth the effort but every little bit helps.

Of course, if you totally fill that black tank before dumping, will go a long way to totally empty it them my method is a bonus..

This has worked for me since 2015.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #15
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendodom View Post
Not sure if it is just my rig or what, but if I don't raise the nose, I do not get a good drain at all. I finally realized by kicking the front in up 1.2", I then get a good drain from the tank. No big deal sitting on a site, but if I was dropping at a dump site and knowing I was not going to be using the unit for a while, I would have to unhitch and lift the front in. Don't make good common sense!
It depends on how the tanks are installed; sounds like your unit is the same as mine. My black tank and shower gray tank sit next to each other and drain to the rear. To get a really good drain I also lift the front a couple inches. If hooked up, I don't unhook, just extend the front jacks until the weight comes off the truck; that is enough. As for my galley gray tank, I have not actually looked at it but it sits behind the main drain, so I think it drains forward; I just dump it when level.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote