Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2020, 11:41 AM   #1
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Wash and Wax Report

After looking at al the threads on what to use on the outside of the trailer I decided to go ahead and try some suggestions.

The outside of my 2011 is starting to oxidize and get a dull hazy look to the finish. The front and rear caps have both gone dull.

For the side walls I found that a Mr Clean magic eraser does the best job cleaning and shining. Keep it moving and keep flushing with water as you go. After it dries I am using F11. It does not make more shine just protection and I'm pleased with the result.

On the end caps is a different story. I used the Magic Eraser and it cleaned the surface well. I tried following with some F11 but no shine.
I had previously tried some NuFinish on the rear cap in a small area and surprisingly it was still shiny like almost new. The area next to it where I applied the F11 was still dull.

So...Clean with Magic Eraser and coat the sides with F11 and polish the end caps with NuFinish.

Problem is it is pushing 100 here in SoCal so I will not finish the job today

p.s. I would rather be out camping than doing this......

prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:50 AM   #2
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I tried F11 on my cars when it first came out and it takes more work than other spray on and wipe off products. It tended to require extra buffing to get any streaks out. I've been using a ceramic spray by Turtle wax that works excellent. For my front cap, I used my Porter Cable buffer and a mild polish by Meguiars and it came out awesome, then I followed with the spray ceramic spray. You should be able to buff those front and end caps back to a high luster.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:43 PM   #3
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
After looking at al the threads on what to use on the outside of the trailer I decided to go ahead and try some suggestions.

The outside of my 2011 is starting to oxidize and get a dull hazy look to the finish. The front and rear caps have both gone dull.

For the side walls I found that a Mr Clean magic eraser does the best job cleaning and shining. Keep it moving and keep flushing with water as you go. After it dries I am using F11. It does not make more shine just protection and I'm pleased with the result.

On the end caps is a different story. I used the Magic Eraser and it cleaned the surface well. I tried following with some F11 but no shine.
I had previously tried some NuFinish on the rear cap in a small area and surprisingly it was still shiny like almost new. The area next to it where I applied the F11 was still dull.

So...Clean with Magic Eraser and coat the sides with F11 and polish the end caps with NuFinish.

Problem is it is pushing 100 here in SoCal so I will not finish the job today

p.s. I would rather be out camping than doing this......
Porter cable buffer is the ticket. I use a high end auto polish on the front cap because it is auto paint on mine. Polish and wax are two different things. Polish is for taking out the imperfections. Wax is to seal the surface and protect from contaminants, as well as adding more shine to the surface. The biggest mistake lots of people make is using to much wax. THIN layer is all you need. Once it starts to dry/haze over wipe off before it fully dries. The surface will only take so much wax, the rest is wasted.Wipe off wet polish once you have run the polisher over the section you are working on. DON’T let it dry. On fiberglass I use a fiberglass polish ( pick some up at a marine store or BassPro) . It takes off oxidation and adds moisturizers to the gelcoat. If its badly oxidized you my need to use a heavier type of polish. Boat/marine polish products will work great. Once its polished, i use NuFinish on the entire rig because it is a polymer, not really a “wax”. And is more durable than real wax. Twice a year will do it. I do mine early spring and early fall. Also, in between waxes, use the McGuires car wash/wax. Great stuff and will keep the rig standing tall. Hope this helps.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:05 AM   #4
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
Porter cable buffer is the ticket. I use a high end auto polish on the front cap because it is auto paint on mine. Polish and wax are two different things. Polish is for taking out the imperfections. Wax is to seal the surface and protect from contaminants, as well as adding more shine to the surface. The biggest mistake lots of people make is using to much wax. THIN layer is all you need. Once it starts to dry/haze over wipe off before it fully dries. The surface will only take so much wax, the rest is wasted.Wipe off wet polish once you have run the polisher over the section you are working on. DON’T let it dry. On fiberglass I use a fiberglass polish ( pick some up at a marine store or BassPro) . It takes off oxidation and adds moisturizers to the gelcoat. If its badly oxidized you my need to use a heavier type of polish. Boat/marine polish products will work great. Once its polished, i use NuFinish on the entire rig because it is a polymer, not really a “wax”. And is more durable than real wax. Twice a year will do it. I do mine early spring and early fall. Also, in between waxes, use the McGuires car wash/wax. Great stuff and will keep the rig standing tall. Hope this helps.
Funny as I have a porter cable random orbiter polisher.
NuFinish says it is a polish. Does that mean it has some abrasives in it? Then it is not a wax, correct? It smells like it has mineral spirits in it which is a stripper.
NuFinish also says not to use on vinyl. I have vinyl decals?
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #5
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
Funny as I have a porter cable random orbiter polisher.
NuFinish says it is a polish. Does that mean it has some abrasives in it? Then it is not a wax, correct? It smells like it has mineral spirits in it which is a stripper.
NuFinish also says not to use on vinyl. I have vinyl decals?
I just re read the label on the orange bottle. Yes,they actually call it a polish. I don’t think it has any harsh abrasives but cant swear to it. I know it is a polymer base and leaves a polymer coating, much like wax leaves a wax coating. I have used it on decals with no issues but I would try it on a small part of the decal first so you feel comfortable in using it. Don’t do a lot of rubbing on the decals, just apply and wipe off. I know on rubber and some vinyl i have seen it leave white streaks and it looks like crap. It is very hard to wipe off, like rubber trim and the like. It didn’t have that issue with my decals. If you are hesitant about using it after testing it, just use a good car wax. Keep in mind, wax only lasts 6-8 weeks. It may still bead up water but you should re wax often.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:22 PM   #6
Snowwolfe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26974
If you want to try something fast and doesnt cost to much pickup a bottle of Bead Maker. Awesome detail spray. I use it on all of my vehicles now.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #7
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Want to laugh I used lemon pledge after I washed it 2 months ago, I was desperate & figured what the heck. Used to use pledge years ago before all the high tech stuff came out. Well 2 months later after sitting in a campground it still looks good & beads water. I think I may wash it this week end & use some more pledge, goes on easy & really looks like it deepens the shine on the fiberglass. The only downside might be the lack of uv blockers.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote