Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2020, 07:10 PM   #61
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
Jester, I beg to differ. I've had several try to tell me the only difference between 2500 and 3500 GM pickups is "a magical leaf in the rear springs." The rear axles are different, 3500 has 1" bigger ring gear and gussets at the tube to pumpkin connection.

Wonder why the difference? I'm betting to handle more weight safely.
Can you overload a truck and get away with it? Sure, but when it fails it is dramatic.

I bought my Monty in January and towed it home from Virginia to Ohio across the West Virginia turnpike through the mountains. My 2500 HD handled the 5er just fine, not one hiccup.

When I started looking at things I discovered the weights in my earlier post on this thread. I was over on the truck's GVWR and RAWR. I was within CGVWR and trailer GVWR the truck could tow. All those numbers were with an empty truck and trailer. Can you do it? YES Can it possibly fail, absolutely. But when it does fail you cannot hide, you will most likely be on the move and not parked somewhere. Will you lose control, yep. SAFETY is compromised when you lose control.

I ran a "what if" by a friend who is an Ohio State Trooper. He advised me that as soon as an officer sees a truck with a huge trailer hooked up in an accident they decide if things look Kosher. If they think you may be overloaded you Will get scaled. Even if not blatantly at fault you loading can be deemed as contributing to the accident. He said he would not want to deal with the attorneys brought in.

So a safety situation becomes a legal nightmare for the operator. If you don't overload you can avoid the potential nightmare.

Mike
Mike,I don’t know what your taking about. What do we have a difference of opinion?

This is why I’m not going to Post anything any more. Everyone has a friend or an in law who knows more then anyone else.
State facts @nd let anyone take it for what it is. Critics is all I see
Thank you all for your input.
Happy camping.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:18 AM   #62
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
CadMan KS asked a question earlier about the Class A exam in Kansas. I took it just over a year ago as between my F450 and coach I've a GCWR over 26000 pounds. The exams (written and Driving) were taken at the Manhattan (Riley County) DMV office out on 24 highway. The written exam was basically the same as for the 'normal class C' plus some questions on the trailer (checking lights, tires, etc.).

The examiner informed me upon arriving at the truck and trailer that other than instructions of what steps to do/directions to go, no other conversation between the examiner and I should occur.

The driving test started with me doing a walk around of the truck and trailer, explaining everything that I was checking (oil, radiator, brake fluid, tires, tire pressure (did not actually have to check it-just explain that I did), lights, hitch, etc) Then we went on the driving part, starting the course was getting out of the parking lot (start of test) plus driving highway and neighborhood. The examiner also had me back up about 50 feet in a straight line, then while still backing up, do a 90 degree turn into a parking space (with allowed pulling forward and backing up several times) and parallel parking. Total driving test took about 40 minutes.

When we got back I was asked how my truck and trailer managed to get to the exam station. I informed the examiner that I had driven it after having a discussion with another examiner the day prior when I was researching the requirement for a Class A Non-Commercial license. By then we had gotten inside the office once more and I was told that my query of the day prior had created quite a bit of research because no one had ever done one of these before - not to mention that I had just taken more than 80 percent of the CDL driving test. In any case, quite a morning and I finally walked out / drove away with a Class A Non-Commercial license.

By the way, I checked with several RV dealers in the weeks before and since my taking the test and only one out of six that I've asked has told me that I needed anything other than my normal drivers license (class C).
THANKS Skypilot!

This is very valuable information, and it's what I somewhat expected the case was, from the research that I've done on the KS website. There is not a lot of information out there about "what" you're going to need to know/do on the test.

The closest place for me is about 20 minutes away, so I need to call up there and see what they say I need to have/do to get a Class A non-commercial, and go from there.

I can do all of the things on that test, except for the parallel parking with a trailer!! There had better be a LOT of room!!
Old 04-28-2020, 07:53 AM   #63
Jritz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25583
If you go for your CDL test, there are serval tests that you will have to preform. It is supposed to be a random selection. You will do a straight line back, an off set ally, a right or left parallel park or an ally dock. The parallel park is 15’ plus the rig. As long as your in the box that all you need to do. You do not have to have it against the curb or anything like that.
Jritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:22 AM   #64
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
I suspect all of the states have exemptions like michigan...even if over the commercial weight limit.

'Individuals: Operating motor homes or other vehicles used exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members, for non-business purposes.'

And read: https://www.campanda.com/magazine/rv...-requirements/

So you are, all set, clear as mud ....
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #65
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I'm not going to let some stupid sticker ruin my camping trip ever. layers guns and money 2 out of 3 ain't bad.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #66
jimc100
Established Member

M.O.C. #18876
Correct license to tow

In California when towing a 5th wheel with a rating of over 10,000 lbs and less that 15,000 lbs (regardless of the actual weight) you require a restriction 41 on your license and if towing a 5th wheel rated over 15,000 you require a non commercial class A (physical, behind the wheel driving test and all). That is if you live in beautiful California.
jimc100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:46 PM   #67
CAG
Established Member

M.O.C. #24811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
I know very little about all of the rules but I do know a couple of rules. In Washington State any time you have a CDL you are held to higher standards including percentages in a breathalyzer test and random drug/alcohol testing. At least that is the standard of what my employees were held to. At work I could not drive the dump truck because it had a GVW of 26,500. If it was on a farm then no problem so long as you are within a 100 mile radius (if I remember correctly maybe 75). Anything with air brakes is CDL or over a certain amount of passengers. This is all falling under commercial and when you go to Private Carrier it seems to get really convoluted. Years ago I started to get a CDL class A, I passed the Tanker and Air Brakes part and decided I didn’t need it as we had plenty of other employees with them. In Washington they have Class A, B and C.
I am probably in the grey area with a 16,000 lbs Fifth-wheel and 14,000 GVR truck with my F350 DRW. Maybe if I get really bored tonight I might go through some more of Washington’s laws, or maybe I will just hope it is information that I will probably never need. It is a good topic with a lot of information about legal weights and and how different each state is. Years ago if I remember correctly when towing in Canada you could not have a wide body trailer or motor home.
Happy and safe roads to you.

Tom Marty
Hi Tom,
Just an update for you on Washington State. From their website - https://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/cdlexempt.html

150 miles for the Farmer
26k limit is the tow vehicle not the total rig. (for others mentioning that limit) except if it is an RV - Recreational vehicle (RV) operators are exempt when driving an RV for non-commercial purposes. This exemption includes 2-axle rental trucks and horse trailers.
CDL is NOT required just because you have air brakes, think of all of the Foretravel and bus conversions.Drivers of vehicles with air brakes that don't otherwise qualify as a commercial vehicle. Even though a vehicle is equipped with air brakes, it doesn't automatically mean the driver must have a CDL. If the vehicle doesn't meet the criteria listed under Types of vehicles that require a CDL, the driver is exempt.

An as mentioned elsewhere if you are legal in your state then all 50 apply, Canada is another question.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 04:07 PM   #68
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0veless View Post
ok lets not get into "I tow with this no problem"
I know laws are different from state to state.
are there any laws on the books that make it illegal to tow exceeding gvw?
example Code? currently in a P*ssing contest and would like to know it is illegal per state code...…
Or am I misinformed. we all know this is hardly ever enforced but legal is legal. or if I'm in an accident being over weight your cited for reckless driving or something.

thank you
here is a site with good information on light duty hauling.

https://www.consumerreports.org/pick...-that-trailer/

Hope this helps you out

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #69
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtheo View Post
It is hard for me to believe you were pulled over by the CHP in CA for and inspection. I've never hear of that. I been towing doubles for the last 20 years and have never heard of any body pulled over for that.

It must have been a bad day for that officer.
CHP in the past set up a checkpoint on the east side of the Salton Sea and pulled in several 5th wheelers. Some were not allowed to continue with the trailer and had to call a professional towing service to get the rig out. They could not even call a friend with a rated truck to come and get them.

In California if you tow over 10K you need a Class B, was formerly an endorsement to your Class C. Since I'm up for renewal I am going to go ahead and get the "B" along with the "C" and "M1". More California BS in the nanny state.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:30 PM   #70
CAG
Established Member

M.O.C. #24811
Wonder what CA does with folks from WA. I pay for a 12k GVWR even though the truck has a 10K limit according to Ford. I asked DOL about it and they said that is the actual GVWR of the truck, Ford had a lower limit to meet some DOT requirement at the time, but that is no longer valid...

Go figure?
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #71
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
IMO, part of our problem is inconsistent bureaucratic requirements that vary among various states. I suspect the 10,000 GVWR is related to bureaucratic (probably taxation) issue. No wonder we citizens are confused.

So they build a truck with greater payload and we're still stuck with 10,000 GVWR.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #72
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davekendall1@yahoo.com View Post
IMO, part of our problem is inconsistent bureaucratic requirements that vary among various states. I suspect the 10,000 GVWR is related to bureaucratic (probably taxation) issue. No wonder we citizens are confused.

So they build a truck with greater payload and we're still stuck with 10,000 GVWR.
ALL of these statements are true!!!
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #73
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Guess I'll keep my Florida DL, I can even drive a Tractor-Trailer as long as it's only for personal use and nothing but personal property in the trailer with my standard DL.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:10 PM   #74
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Guess I'll keep my Florida DL, I can even drive a Tractor-Trailer as long as it's only for personal use and nothing but personal property in the trailer with my standard DL.

That is like Va. At any rate I’m not worried about my 9600 pound HC. Maybe manufacturers should put their campers on a crash diet.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:12 PM   #75
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
In California if you tow over 10K you need a Class B, was formerly an endorsement tlass C. Since I'm up for renewal I am going to go ahead and get the "B" along with the "C" and "M1". More California BS in the nanny state.
You do not need, nor want, a CA Class B license.

With a
Class B
Commercial Driver's
License
you may drive a bus (other than a trailer bus), a single vehicle with a GVWR of more than 26,000 lbs, a 3-axle vehicle weighing over 6,000 pounds, a farm labor vehicle and any vehicle that a
Class
C driver is permitted to drive.

To tow a 5th wheel between 10,000 and 15,000 you only need the
Restriction 41' license endorsement just as you have for the last 20 years.

Source: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...=AJPERES&CVID=
Page 12

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:31 PM   #76
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
[QUOTE=prndl;1182023]CHP in the past set up a checkpoint on the east side of the Salton Sea and pulled in several 5th wheelers. Some were not allowed to continue with the trailer and had to call a professional towing service to get the rig out. They could not even call a friend with a rated truck to come and get them.

They do the same thing at the central CA beach areas. Usually it involves those dill holes hauling a 40' toyhauler with a 2500.
Old 04-30-2020, 08:43 PM   #77
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
I just purchased a 2020 Ram 3500 in CA. When filling out the DMV paperwork, the dealer asked me what am I towing and the weight of that 5th wheel. The GCVWR was filled in as 14k for the truck and 14k for the 5vr. Combined 28k. My weight fees will be huge and now reading this discussion, I am wondering if I will be needing a licensing change to a CDL. Why am I paying weight fees for full time usage when DMV does not ask or know what percentage of time I am hooked to 5vr? I questioned the dealer on this and it was stated that this is what CA does now.
It's so your gas guzzling carbonizer can pay for Tesla EVs that don't pay to use the roads....yet. One of the million reason to not live in California...after nearly bankrupting the state, now they just tax you out of existence.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #78
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Bring it on, I have a CDL Class A bring it on

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:36 PM   #79
Jester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25910
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsHemi View Post
Bring it on, I have a CDL Class A bring it on
Had mine for 40 years and I’ll never give it for this reason..
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #80
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Had mine for 40 years and I’ll never give it for this reason..
22 years and will never give it up

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote