Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2023, 04:39 PM   #1
bentrod

M.O.C. #26711
Lack Luster

My wife and I love our 2010 Montana 3750FL I just wish it looked as good on the outside as it does on the inside. What can I do to get the shine back? I'm looking for a long lasting and durable shine, like when we bought it new, to be proud of once again.

bentrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 06:14 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I purchased a Griot's Garage G9 polisher kit and used Meguire's Marine/RV cleaner wax M5016 to clean the oxidation off. Some of the tougher spots, I used the Griot's Garage compound. Try to stay off the graphics and stickers as much as possible. After the cleanup, I used Griot's Garage Ceramic Spray wax. Turned out beautifully.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXMY8...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/Griots-Garage...e%2C181&sr=1-5
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 08:51 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Once it's clean ... really clean ... you can always respray the finish with a new coat of gelcoat. Tape off the windows and trim and use it like spray paint, very thin coats so it does not drip. very thin!!!!

Test a small area first to be sure you get the results you want. You can get spray cans of gelcoat at any automotive store.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 09:46 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
For a long lasting durable shine your only solution is to repaint like post 3 or go to the high expense of paint.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 11:11 AM   #5
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Sometimes the best bet is to let a professional detailer, who specializes in RV's, do a detail job. They have the right products, the right tools, and know what they're doing.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 12:21 PM   #6
bentrod

M.O.C. #26711
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Sometimes the best bet is to let a professional detailer, who specializes in RV's, do a detail job. They have the right products, the right tools, and know what they're doing.
I'd be a lot more comfortable with this type of service, any idea what someone would pay for a job like what you described for a 40fter
bentrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 07:32 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
In the St Petersburg Florida KOA, $350-400
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 08:02 AM   #8
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I have seen $10/lf to $12/lf quoted before.

The passenger side of my rig has suffered a bit of sun damage and had a dull finish. When we were at the San Antonio KOA July 4 week - I saw a guy working in the campground on waxing a toy hauler and went to talk to him. He really impressed me with his methods and custom mixed waxes. He mixes in a bit of 303 with his product. He looked at my RV and did a test area to make sure there were no adverse coatings that would interact with his wax job. I made a deal with him to work on the one side for $350 He and another guy worked 4 hours and did a fantastic job! I paid him $400 because it was better than I expected. We might take a trip to SA KOA later this year and get him to do the rest of the coach.

Alamo RV Wash - Carlos - 210-391-7519
exceptional communications and great work
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 04:00 PM   #9
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentrod View Post
I'd be a lot more comfortable with this type of service, any idea what someone would pay for a job like what you described for a 40fter
We were quoted 749.00 to remove oxidized paint, apply ceramic paint restore with life time guarantee.

2019 MHC 331rl.
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 01:38 PM   #10
Klonerama
Established Member

M.O.C. #18912
Get a vehicle wrap

After struggling with oxidation on 2013 Montana I got a stock color vehicle wraps on front and rear and put a graphic on top and it was beautiful and care free….well worth the money on the front cap, the rear was about 3x more cost
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9717.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	15099   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9716.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	458.0 KB
ID:	15100  
Klonerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 03:28 PM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I have a 2011 3455sa. Fortunately for me and the previous owner it has been kept inside when not in use which greatly helps.
However these vintage Montana's did not all come gel-coated. I believe that was a several thousand dollar option.
You can tell if they're gel coated or not just by looking at the Finish. Get an area clean and if it looks like glass real smooth it's gel coated. If you see what looks like rough fiberglass surface it is a filon exterior.
I wax or gel cooted unit every couple of years. Even the decals look brand new
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 03:31 PM   #12
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
We keep the RV here at the S&B under a pre-engineered shed (roof and partial siding). I called three RV parks in the area and asked for names of RV wash guys that they could recommend. I got 6 names and phone numbers. I live 20 miles out in the boondocks. I always wash my roof so I did not need it done. One side of my unit was oxidized worse than the other. See my post above. Based on what I have read in this forum I was expecting $10 to $13/LF…for a 40’ unit that is $400 to $520.
Company A - $15/LF for 3 guys and it will take 2 hours.
Company B - $16/Lf for 2 guys…I thought that was high and he came down to $14/LF.
Company C - $12/LF, he does it all by himself in about 4 hours. I ask would he do it for $400 and he agreed. He booked a slot for me the next week. One side looked great but he said he could not quite cut thru the oxidized side. At least it had some wax on it. I will not be calling him again.
I never called the other guys.
The guy I referenced in my post above was great. We plan to go to San Antonio and stay at the KOA and have him do the caps and the other side. He says he usually has a helper.

In 2012 my Alpenlite 29RK was looking badly oxidized. I figured I could knock it out in a couple of weekends - able-bodied strappin’ young man that I was. By the 3rd weekend it was kicking my butt. My little bird arms and jello shoulders were not what they used to be. Pushing a pencil for a living does not build muscle mass. I resolved to NEVER attempt that again. DW agrees that $400 is well worth the price to not hear me belly-ache, complain and moan at night for weeks.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 08:27 AM   #13
Kfinnert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32153
Bentrod - I have a 2008 Montana 3665RE that had sat in the Arizona heat for 6 years before I bought it. It has been a project and we are just about done with it, both inside and out. Most of the work was done by me and friends who are all RV enthusiasts. I have learned so much in the process of restoring this rig, and one of the most valuable lessons is to find the right person for the job, not the cheapest person or the most expensive! This takes time...

My exterior finish was a mess. To remedy this problem, I had the decals removed (I removed them) and purchased new. Those were installed by Bish RV in Junction City Oregon - Sue was great to work with at Bish RV Body and Paint.

While at Bish RV I had all of the metal - J Wraps, either replaced or repaired and they were repainted to match my truck's color. I did not paint the rig due to costs AND that many shops that specialize in painting rigs (I spoke to at least 5) told me the finish will not last and they would not guarantee the work.

Once the Decals were on and the J-Wrap painted, I had the entire rig wet sanded (decals were taped off to avoid damage) and a marine grade ceramic coating place upon it. This work was done by ABC Detailing in Carmichael California. Danae Boyd, owner, was a true resource and provided an honest overview of options to refinishing the rig - wrapping, wet sanding, painting, etc.

The costs were around $6k, and well worth the money since I went from a very dull and oxidized finished to one where the trailer finish shines.

Since this finish was applied, I return to Sacramento/Carmichael and have the detailer wash the entire rig and check for wear on the finish. It has been 14 months, and the rig still looks great!

Costs - To paint the rig, and I did find shops to do so, would start at $20k and go up from there. I was quoted $40k for three colors and not graphics from one shop.

In the end, to replace decals, wet sand the rig, and apply a ceramic coat it costs around $11k. Based on what I have read, this may seem high. BUT we are happy with the end result, and it looks great! AND, it was cheaper than buying a new rig...

Best of luck...
Kfinnert is offline   Reply With Quote