Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #1
jksimons
Established Member

M.O.C. #9659
Send a message via AIM to jksimons
Found On Road Dead

Okay, I am ready to get rid of my ford. I took my mom and sister to yosemite this past weekend towing my gooseneck living quater trailer. Hauling out of the park on Hwy 41, the truck up and died on me, going thankfully uphill, and by the grace of divine intervention near a turn out I was able to get most of the trailer out of the road. Well, let me tell you, breaking down in this location was interesting. I don't think we were more then five miles past the tunnel at this point. A, if you don't have verizon you've got no service, B, make sure you flag down ten cars min, out of those ten, one actually called the rangers. C, wait, wait, wait, for ranger..wait, wait, wait, for tow truck. So, first words out of tow truck drivers mouth, I'm $250.00 an hour right from this minute, what do you want to do? Um...is it just me or do you want to scream..DUH!. Since our trailers are close to equivalent size of my gn, be prepared to have him haul you out all in one unit. Yes, I said, all in one. He brought the big rig wrecker. My mom and I had to ride in the truck being towed. I have to say it was a once in a lifetime experience. Thankfully Tony from Doc's towing was really a great guy and dropped my trailer off at the KOA campground, found us a taxi service and had everything ready to go for today to tow the truck into Clovis this am. Also, they only bill AAA. Thankfully he cut us a break and only charged me 1000k for the tow. I'll keep you updated on the truck...this is the second ford I've owned that has done this to me...I told hubby..lets buy a dodge.

jksimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Read what a Dodge owner has to say about his Dodge...
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=36312
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Here is a little story. I will try to be short. My parents had a MCI bus conversion a while back and they had tranny trouble half way between Anchorage and Fairbanks AK. It was 350mi or more to Anchorage to the closest Diesel repair shop. Called their new towing insurance "Allstate Motor Club" for tow, when tow truck arrived from Anchorage he took one look and said I will be back tomorrow as the bus was to large for him to tow. Next afternoon truck and lowboy with a extra helper showed up to haul them back to town. I believe it was a least 2 full days for this tow. Cost of tow was $0.00 as they will tow to closest repair shop. To top it off the had only had this insurance for a few weeks.
By the time they made it to Anchorage the new tranny was on site from Spokane, cost $6,000.00
Larry in Olympia
PS I have Allstate Motor Club towing!
Drifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
To be fair, you can find several threads here about problems with all the brands, including the GM's, Dodge, and Ford. None of them are perfect and all have an occasional lemon. I hope whatever you decide to do the next one is better for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #5
jksimons
Established Member

M.O.C. #9659
Send a message via AIM to jksimons
Here is another interesting note. There are only 2 tow services that cover the Yosemite area. Doc's has hwy 41, 120, and toward tuolome meadows. The other tow service has hwy 140. Docs only has a contract with AAA. Anything else you have...pay first, be reimbursed later. Hopefully, my truck will be repaired today, since we have to drive back to Clovis from Vacaville, then drive up to Oakhurst to get the trailer, then back home to Vacaville. Oh, did I mention they are predicting very heavy rain tomorrow and the campspot where the trailer is sitting will be a mud pit? AND my husband is suffering from kidney stones...
jksimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Sorry to hear of the trouble you had!
I know this is 20/20 hind/site but I would look into getting Good Sam’s Emergency Road Service if it were me. I’ve had my Ford towed or assisted three times since I’ve owned it in the past year; but then again my truck has 330,000. miles + on it! I still want to keep the Ford, I like it. I would expect problems with any brand that is made by a human! The road service paid for it all except when I had it towed to a place that wasn’t within their listing. Still not bad though. I’ve used it four times in four years and they are worth their weight in gold when it comes to having problems like you have mentioned that you had. When a person breaks down the last thing they want to hear is “we are $250/hr, starting right now, what do you want to do?” I would keep the Ford and get some type of Emergency Road Service, IMHO whether it be Good Sam's or someone else! It has more than paid for itself for us.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Brand bashing not allowed. Deleted.
HOTR
Admin
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Bigmurf thats funny Rite there I dont care who you are. "LOL" But I do own a dodge.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

Brand bashing not allowed. Deleted.
HOTR
Admin
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
They all have problem vehicles. Some seem to have more than others.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:13 AM   #11
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
All trucks have problems. The more and more electronic stuff and emissions they have the more chances for trouble.
I look out the window to my old 97 Dodge Cummins 3500 truck. It does not have much electronics or bells or whistles but it does have 246,000 miles on it and still going strong. The engine has only had the valves adjusted and I did the "killer dowel pin" repair to it. (search "Dodge KDP" and there is all the info you'll ever want to know if you like.)
The transmission has been rebuilt. If you spend the extra money for good quality aftermarket parts and torque converter it should last a really long time.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:00 AM   #12
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I was at Banff Park in Canda, truck wound not start. Called Good Sam and they had tow rig there in 25 minutes. Did I need to tow both, no we were in park. In my experiences (4) I got excellent service and all it cost me was $100 a year
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #13
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
We used Good Sam the first year when the truck wouldn't restart at the Flying J pump in Corning. Glad we had it. Towed the truck and the trailer as a unit to Corning Ford who looked after the truck.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote