Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Pilot/Flying J Frequent Fueler Card (RV)

In the other thread regarding credit cards it was alluded to that cards have to be out-of-sight sometimes, and I'll bet that is when fueling at the Truck Lanes.

When I was pulling the 3400RL with the F350 6.0L King Ranch, Crew Cab, Long bed, it was just to difficult to use the automobile side of the pumps so I always, always used the Truck Lanes.

So here is something for you if you do not already know about it.

PFJ Frequent Fueler Advantage

Look the page over. If you are interested, stop at any PFJ station and ask for the PFJ Frequent Fueler Advantage card. It is orange in color. (The blue one is for OTR Drivers and you do not want the blue one)

When you have enough 3 cents saved you owe me a cup of coffee. (If you use this now)

p.s, be sure to download the "rules," and guide. There are restrictions. Some states (two of them) do not honor the discount. Also, independent dealers that still have the PFJ signs may have different plans than the corporate stations.

To me, the biggest advantage is to pull into the Truck Pump Lane, swipe my PFJ card, and begin fueling. I don't have to go in and hand my credit card to anyone. When I'm finished pumping, I go in and pay. Sometimes that walk to the cashier can be a long one if you are in the end truck pump line.

Remember, the card works in the gas line also, but only 2 cents off.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Thanks Wayne! 2 or 3 cents discount on a gallon is worth it and being able to use the Truck Pumps is definately worth it!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:54 AM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Wayne, looks like that have changed their policy. I looked into it a while back and to get the pump start at the truck lanes you first had to purchase a total of 500 gal of fuel (not at one time). I'll have to give it a try next time I stop at one as even some of the RV lanes aren't the easiest to get to.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:29 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It seemed to have changed when the two merged. I was still a long way from 500 gal. since there isn't one close to my stick house and all of a sudden it started working.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
To me, a few pennies (when paying nearly $4/gallon) are not worth the hassle of FJ, Pilot, Loves or any of the others. I look for well used smaller stations that obviously pump lots of diesel...it is a much more relaxing refueling experience.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
On our May/June trip we found the Flying J Fuel card to be hit and miss, more miss. In July I stopped at a Flying J our first stop. They said due to computer error they could not give me the discount. I waited in line 10 minutes to get the pump turned on and then another 10 when finished to pay, plus had to deal with a cashier that just "loved" her job, not. Our following 2 fuel stops I stopped at a Hess & a Love's. Hess gave me the Cash price in the truck lanes and Love's was still cheaper than the closest Flying J even if I would have received the discount.

With the discount being hit and miss and some not so great recent experiences at Flying J, I have learned I can find Diesel for the same price (with discount) and with out the hassles. Flying J has lost my loyalty.

It is the same thing with Murphy Oil (Wal-Mart) right now. As most are aware in Aug & Sept you get $.10/per gallon discount with a Wal-Mart gift card. While that is a good deal, is it really worth waiting in line for 20 minutes for fuel? Sometimes longer at the Diesel pumps since Diesel is only available in limited lanes. Our local Wal-Mart has the cars stacked 3 deep in each lane every time I pass. At least for me, I will spend the extra $1.50 I would have saved at Wal-Mart at the station next door. That beats waiting in line for 20 minutes.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I have the Flyin J card and do use it at times thanks for the update. But I use a BP card most of the time that gives me 5% cash back after 5000 points. To help with finding a BP with diesel pumps the app. NextExit helps a great deal.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
June and July was a, sort of, transition period and the changing of processes.

We traveled during that period, From Texas, through Florida, up to North Carolina, into Central Mass. over to Niagara, up around the Great Lakes, and down South to Texas again. In only one instance did my Flying J card not work as advertised. That is some 657.9 gallons of fuel, 5388.9 miles.

I enjoyed using the PFJ system. I missed it on those fuel stops where they were just not available. So to each their own. If it works for you good. If it doesn't, and you have found better ways, good for you.

I'm glad that I have brought this to light and up-to-date for some.

Happy trails
Old 09-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use the card at FJ/Pilot primarily for the convenience of being able to use the truck lanes and not having to shoe horn into the so called RV lanes.Besides most Rv'ers are inconsiderate and will leave the Rv parked at the pump while they go inside for a twinky were the truckers will pull up.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Do not stop at Polits in IND. for fuel. I just paid .26 more than the advertise price and they did not know what to do with my card. I also paid an extra fuel tax...
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:36 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We use the card at FJ/Pilot primarily for the convenience of being able to use the truck lanes and not having to shoe horn into the so called RV lanes.Besides most Rv'ers are inconsiderate and will leave the Rv parked at the pump while they go inside for a twinky were the truckers will pull up.
Rich,
I've used the truck lanes at different times but find that the pressure coming out of those big nozzles makes it extremely difficult to fill up. The only place I've found where I had to use the truck lanes was in Thousand Palms, CA. I'm with you concerning those inconsiderate drivers who leave their rig parked in the RV lanes while they go inside the store for who knows how long. When I questioned one of them one time I was told to go to H---! Being a lover and not a fighter, I decided to drop it. Besides that he was about 6' 4" and weighed about 275.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Even with my big SOB the truck lanes fill to fast if you are not careful. Many times I'll just click it in the first detente for letting it fill while I clean the windshield. Diesel foams, so that will click it off before it is filled. I'll let it sit a minute or two then hand feed it fuel at a much reduced rate. That seems to work better for me. I do "listen very carefully" for the bubbling sound coming out of the fuel cap and I'll stop before it get to loud.

When I had the 3400RL pulling with the F350 I did the same thing. One of the things is knowing how much fuel you will pump when you are at a certain gauge level inside the vehicle. So sometimes I stop it at a certain gallon amount and fill by slow hand method.

Anyhow, my most important item with the PFJ card is the ability to not have to go in and hand them my card until after I have filled. That is where the Automatic Pump Start with the PFJ card comes in handy. It is nice to get a 3 cent discount off of the cash price.

Happy trials.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:26 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The last Flying J I filled at told me that I should put my credit card in first then my Flying J Real Value Member card and get the discount I did and received the .03 cent discount.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Orv,
Yes, that procedure is specifically for the "front of the store" automobile lanes that have an RV lane, as posted on the PFJ web site. The limit on the credit card may be enforced in the auto lane of $75.

If you use the trucker's side, you swipe the PFJ card first. If the card is registered, it will authorize the "Pump Start." At that point you just need to fill to whatever amount you need, then you go inside and pay with your credit card. You will still get the $0.03 discount off the cash price.

You can use the card at the PFJ gas pumps, or RV pump for gas, but the discount is only 2 cents.

Happy trails.