Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2005, 07:13 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Some feedback for a New Mountaineer 335RLBS Owner

Hello all:

My DW and I just plunked down the money to buy a 2005 Montana Mountaineer 335RLBS. It must be the most recent version as it has the concealed propane and batteries up front and the bike/rack rear rack.

We naturally are very excited. But I would like to request some feedback from you seasoned RV'ers.
We just took a small hit in that our first RV was only purchased a couple of months ago. A 2005 Komfort 231T a very nice but far too small TT with no slide outs. Fortunately we have a freind that liked it and we got out taking about a $2000 hit plus tax and lic. Fortunately they are going to be happy and we also should be. We had researched for some time but got convinced by a dealer that it would fit our needs. I won't go there but we were bamboozled a bit I feel. Luck was shining on us a bit as we got out without too costly a lesson.
We have been looking again for almost as long as we have had this trailer and of course had all the info from before. THe good thing is that even in the short time and only 3 weekends out we learned alot about what we wanted and what was missing or too small in actuality. The trailer was great. Everything worked as advertised and no problems except space. We consider it part of the growing process but one not to be repeated anytime soon.
My questions to the group is. I have read on the TrailerLife Forum quite a few comments about quality and construction which of course is taken with a grain of salt as many will make a problem well known to as many as they can but a satisfied customer may only tell a few. Therefore a forum is a good way to bash a brand.
But there also must be some truth there and that is the reason for my posing some questions while I can still avoid another change.
Are the Quality issues real?
Is the Mountaineer units and this one specifically if any one has it as good as I think they appear to be?
I have a 2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison Long Bed Extended Cab TV. I cannot see where this would not be a great TV for this trailer but I would like to know if you feel it is too small or any other concerns there?
How well does this unit tow? I noticed it has no shocks. Does it suffer not having them?
Are there any features you feel would be worth adding. It has most options on it.
I am considering adding another awning over the bedroom door and window. Would you see this as a useful addition?
Do any of you feel awnings over the slides is really necessary?
What if any problems should I be on the look out for.
My dealer has several full hook up sites at the dealership and I will take delivery next weekend. This gives them plenty of time to PDI.
We have been offered the opportunity to stay there overnite and try out the rig and have any adjustments made while there. We live two hours away so this was a pleasant and nice surprise. Cetainly something my other dealer didn't offer or have.
Any issues with this particular trailer that would be nice for me to know or whatch out for?
Any feedback is really appreciated.
I don't want to put my wife through a disappointment again. Kinda nice to buy her one for mothers day, heh.

We live in So. Cal.
Our hobbies are Bob:
Astronomy, Model Railroading and wood working.
Carol
Quilting, reading and traveling.

We are in our mid fifties and having a great time RV'g even in the short time we have been involved.

We intend to haul this thing from So. Cal. to Durango, CO. and on to the Black Hills in August. Will have 16 days on the road with it and about 3 pre outings with it before then.

Your tips, info, headsup, etc are most appreciated

Happy to be coming into the Montan Owner Group.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote