Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2022, 10:47 AM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Self Inflicted Bed Damage

We had an issue putting our slide out in the bedroom at our current stop. After hearing of others having similar issues, I thought perhaps poor workmanship. Nope, after tearing into it, a bin got between the bed and the slide. It finally pulled the screws out of the wall. A $20 lesson that we shouldn’t have bins in that area that can slide behind the bed when it’s out. Surprisingly easy to fix (other than wrestling that big king mattress. I believe they aren’t fastened better so tha5 you pull screws instead of tearing up motors.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 02:24 PM   #2
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
Been there, Done That!

We replaced the bed with a sleep number mattress, thought i could velcro the pump to the space between the wall and bed base. It worked fine the first stop. Before the 2nd stop the pump fell off the base and when I extended the slide it promptly tore the screws out of the wall also! Needless to say, I rebuilt the bed into the slide, leveled and attached it to the slide bottom, that will NEVER happen again! The original design is poor, and our bed always listed towards the head.I still crawl under and check the area before putting the slide out. Just in case!
Old 10-05-2022, 04:03 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
.... I believe they aren’t fastened better so tha5 you pull screws instead of tearing up motors.
Well, that's a first! Someone actually thankful for shoddy RV craftsmanship!

Gad it wasn't more serious. I think we've all had something get caught in the slide and pulled a cabinet door or trim or something off the camper. Our cabinet doors were installed so shoddy, I ended up putting baby proof catches on every cabinet door to help them from popping open when traveling. It's worked great. We've never had another cabinet door open again.

Live and learn! It's part of the RV experience!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 07:49 PM   #4
mleeder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20360
Bed Slide Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd & Mary View Post
We replaced the bed with a sleep number mattress, thought i could velcro the pump to the space between the wall and bed base. It worked fine the first stop. Before the 2nd stop the pump fell off the base and when I extended the slide it promptly tore the screws out of the wall also! Needless to say, I rebuilt the bed into the slide, leveled and attached it to the slide bottom, that will NEVER happen again! The original design is poor, and our bed always listed towards the head.I still crawl under and check the area before putting the slide out. Just in case!
What size and length of screws were you Able to put into the slide bottom?
mleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 09:33 AM   #5
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
Screw size

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleeder View Post
What size and length of screws were you Able to put into the slide bottom?
I used 1" #10 construction screws thru a 1/8 angle brracket
Todd & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 09:16 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Dutchmen, it took a lot on ours to tear the frame off. Think of shear pins and other sacrificial parts. It took way less time and money to repair the bed frame than rails and motors. We have been very happy so far with our unit. This was self inflicted. I don’t consider it shoddy workmanship. Could it be fastened better - yes. But when you have two motors moving a fairly light slide, something has to give.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote