Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2006, 02:45 PM   #21
Montana_4944
Established Member

M.O.C. #4944
With a handle like yorkiesue you can tell where I come from. We have had some barking issues but have tried really hard to work with our dogs and not bother our neighbors. I agree with Carol, crates are great. Our dogs go sleep in their crate on their own, even when we are here; it is a security to them. It is their little quiet place. Since I have never seen a Yorkie in the wild I don't know what their natural habitat would be like. The crate suites them fine. We have never been to a park where dog owners have allowed their dogs to sit outside and bark. Most people we know are very curtoius to their neighbors. We are experiencing good results from the book (The Dog Whisperer)....Sue

Montana_4944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #22
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glenn, I didn't have any problem with you expressing your opinion, but I thought it would be more appropriate in another thread. And that's just my opinion, for what it's worth, which isn't much. I thought we were supposed to stay on topic, especially since Wagonmaster's question was not asked with the intention of starting up a controversy. We all get off topic at times, myself included, or maybe I should say 'especially' but why not just offer the help that a person is seeking and start another thread about opinions about dogs in RV parks elsewhere. Actually I agreed with your opinion when I read it earlier but now I forgot what was in the paragraphs that you deleted. I guess that wasn't a problem either.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:33 PM   #23
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Glenn,

I read your first reply and didn't see anything inappropriate, in fact you even stated up front you were getting on your soap box and it was your opinion. Well my opinion is your opinion is ok to be stated around here!

That said, I'm a dog guy and probably always will be, I've been lucky with mine over the years, some of it luck and some of it training, but my mom's dog is a real yipper and more than a little annoying to even me. I don't have an answer and some dogs are what they are but I'm willing to try anyting, when my mom's back is turned!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:58 PM   #24
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Wellllll!!! My Kookie has never been in a cage in his 9 years of life but I have total verbal control over him. If I tell him to shut up he does, if I tell him to get on the sofa he does, if I tell him to stay he does. But I started training him when he was 6 months old. Now when we leave him in the Montana while we go out for the day to do shopping I leave the TV on so there are voices in here and I leave the shades down and he will sleep all day. There has never been a problem with him barking. Now If you knock on my door he will bark and turn around and around in circles and one time almost knocked his self out then he will bark telling you to go away.LOL So Wagonmaster do what ever it takes do it, I will not stay in a park that does not allow my BABY. LOL
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:03 PM   #25
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Linda, as far as we know, Greta sleeps the entire time that we are away, whether it's the stick house or the Montana. At least no one has ever complained. But she doesn't even bark when we drive up. She is such a wimp that she has to see who it is before she reveals her presence.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:26 PM   #26
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We pull down the blinds and leave the television on as well when we leave the dogs in the 5er. The background noise sems to help mask voices of people walking by. Our one dog Heidi was and is an avid barking dog, she is tiny and basically barks out of fear. After trying many many things, extensive training included we ended up buying a bark collar. This collar has a battery and emits a beeping sound as well as a small shock. We put this on Heidi long enough for her to bark a couple of times in order for her to understand what this was about. It was hard to watch but she definately got the message. Now we just keep the collar handy on the counter and if she barks too much we pick it up and threaten her with a stern No Barking command. If she continues to bark then all we have to do is shake the unit and it emits this beeping sound and Heidi usually runs under something like the table with her tail between her legs. She has developed a great deal of respect for that collar and fortunately we don't have to make here wear it to get results.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:04 PM   #27
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We also have a bark collar for one of our Schnauzers but all we have to do is show it to her and say "quiet" and that works.
We also leave the TV on and shades down when we leave our dogs in camper. We have never had any complaints. They will bark if someone knocks on the door. Our girls also get more socialized when we travel.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:32 PM   #28
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
We rarely leave our dog in the camper, and if we do it is only for a short time. Our dog hardly ever barks,though, so she doesn't disturb anyone. We live next door to two small dogs who bark constantly and believe me it gets on your nerves!! We frequently have campers next to us that have barking dogs and that is the worst because the sites are close together and here in the NE we usually don't have AC on so the windows are open. I have never reported anyone for a barking dog though, but I once reported a camper whose male mutt was way too interested in our female dog ( he was not tied and she was so she couldn't even get away from him.)I asked the campground owner to have them tie their dog and he did. I then had to put up with a verbal tirade from the dog owner's wife.

Ken And Ginny Deiss
02 Montana 2955 RL
02 GMC 2500 HD Ext LB
8.1 Gas Allison 373

Garmin 2610
Reese 16K
Prodigy
Daisy A Weimaraner Great Travel Pal
Pittsburgh Pa
http:tinypic.com/windy
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 02:32 AM   #29
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wagonmaster

We have a little terrier that barks, not to excess, but when someone comes to the door. Thats alright. But he also likes to bark when someone is just strolling by. We will be going full time soon and with no barkin in the campgrounds this might be a problem. Has anyone else had this to contend with and how did you handle it? Koko is good dog, he is about 10yrs old and camps very well on short trips but he knows we will be going home, boy will he be in for a shock... Thanks Janet
Janet,
We have a number of golden retrievers. One of which "was" a barker. In over 30 years of having this breed, this dog was the first we one we resorted to having to use a bark collar on. We used the Premier - Citronella Collar - http://www.mightypets.com/product.asp?3=541
This has worked great with her in that when we need to use it we do not need to turn it on, only putting the collar will keep her from barking.

On the other topic this thread went off on. We do crate all our younger dogs at night or when in the house when unsupervised and all our dogs are crated when traveling.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote