Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2006, 04:04 AM   #1
Still_waters
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1030
Traveling with Labs

We travel with 2 Labs. We pull a 2955 Montana with a F-250 crew cab. I have arranged the back seat of the crew cab for a place for the dogs when traveling. However, the dogs have grown to the point that they can no longer share the back seat comfortably. My wife has suggested that they travel in the Montana and she would ride in there with them. I am considering this. I have always heard or been told that its against the law for anyone to ride in a pulled trailer but have been unable to find this in writing. When I think about it, it seems perfectly safe. We would be in contact with each other by cell phones and/or hand held two way radios. Your thoughts or comments on this would be appreciated. Thank you.

Still_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:16 AM   #2
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
The laws in the various states vary considerably. About half the states do allow passengers to ride in a 5th wheel type trailer. I do not believe any state allows passengers to ride in a TT.

There have been a number of threads discussing this issue. You might try a "search" to see the previous threads. This is one of those "polarizing" type issues. You will see this if you read the previous threads.

Good luck.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Use this link: http://www.rvadvice.com/rvtravel.html to check out which states allow passengers in a trailer. Click on a state and under the individual state page open the "RV ROAD LAWS" link and it will tell you what is legal.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
We tried our dogs in the back and our big dog Sadie (who is the only one I really love) would always get sick, within minutes of us driving down the road. It was worth cleaning her white hair out of the backseat of the truck versus cleaning up the trailer. Not to mention the fact that she must have been terrified. Oh yeah, I let the little one ride in the truck too!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:35 PM   #5
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I could not even imagine riding in the 5th wheel. The roads are so bad that everything is bouncing and creaking so much that I would be sicker than the dogs. If you do ride in the back you will need to have communication with the driver at all times. I would get a bigger truck if the dogs cant ride in the one I have. Or think about putting a kennel in the back that one could ride in, switch off so they both get used to it.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:16 PM   #6
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DHenry

I could not even imagine riding in the 5th wheel. The roads are so bad that everything is bouncing and creaking so much that I would be sicker than the dogs. If you do ride in the back you will need to have communication with the driver at all times. I would get a bigger truck if the dogs cant ride in the one I have. Or think about putting a kennel in the back that one could ride in, switch off so they both get used to it.
I'm looking at a Raptor toy-hauler for just this purpose. I've talked with numerous people who have them for kenels and they have setup temp control, audio/video and have taken their dogs cross country a number of times without incident. I wouldn't put a dog back in a 5th wheel without being in a secured crate and the ability to monitor them.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:49 AM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I have a Standard Shnauzer male and he wanted a dog so bad we got him a female Doberman.
This is one of the reasons I have a Crew Cab. We fold the bigger section down and I found a big dog mattress at Costco. There is room for both dogs to lay down and last year my son came with us and he sat in the remaining seat. My son is grown up and won't be coming this year so the dogs will have the whole back seat to themselves.

Years ago my Mom and Dad had a regular cab and pulled a Fiver. They had a little mutt and he rode in the Fiver. He would sit on the couch and look out the window. They went half way across Canada with Cocoa riding in the Fiver. He got to love it and when they were getting ready to pull out , old Cocoa would run to the Fiver door and he was a dog who had ridden in the cab of a pickup a lot. Good luck with the labs, they are a beautiful breed. This is my 3rd Doberman and they are terrific. The SS is a breed that takes a lot of work and now that he is 6 years old and finally slowing down , we love him dearly but I don't think I will ever get another one.
At 3 months of age, he could outplay and outlast dogs 10 times bigger than him and he is still more than a match for my 75 pound Female Dobie. In the back yard, he can still knock the legs right out from under her and watching these two wrestle is a hoot. Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:22 AM   #8
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
We travel with 3 Australian shepherds (one is a mix) and they always travel with us in the truck.
We made a removable section that goes between the two sets of seats.
Padded it with foam and covered it with heavy fabric. It makes the back seat larger and no worries about them falling in the hole. They grumble at each other now and then, but they eventually find their space and lay down and go to sleep or sit and look out the side window.
We bought a waterproof cover for the back seat and throw a quilt on the seat - works pretty good.
- Laura
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:03 AM   #9
zzuroweste1
Established Member

M.O.C. #3581
We have our golden retriever and lab ride in the back...they have plenty of room to lay down and relax. It works out great for them and f we happened to get in an accident they wouldn't turn into projectiles in the cab
zzuroweste1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:20 PM   #10
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
We have two Dalmations and with our crew cab Chev we have two baby crib mattress we bought at a Goodwill store for ten bucks. This gives them the ultimate in comfort and raises them up high enough for them to see out the windshield and give us directions. We of course folded the back seat down so we could build it up with the mattresses. I put a piece of 1/4" plywood between the two mattresses so that they wouldn't be too springy for the girls.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:04 PM   #11
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Our two Schnauzers and our big cat all three ride in back seat of pickup. They all have pet seat belts and it keeps them from roaming around. Also keeps them from becomming a missle if a sudden stop. They have grown up like this. They know the truck doesn't move until they are belted in. The seat belts fasten to the seat belts in back. When we stop we put kitty in 5th wheel so he can use his box if needed, while we walk the dogs. Everyone gets a drink of water then too.
We wouldn't put anything we love, to ride in the 5th wheel. Our opinion.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:42 PM   #12
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Our cat Dash would ride in the monty till we had to give her away because she would NOT stay in the trailer... squirted out every time to door opened. We got a few complaints so... off to my sisters she went. She loed it back there, even found her asleep on the bed at one stop, turned and looked at me like "What??"
The back seat of our crew cab is also the dog's territory. they have their beds and toys back there. We do need to get the seatbelts, that way Maddy will quit oozing up onto the front console to help Dad drive. We have not had too much luck finding one Maddy's size yet. lots of little dog stuff, no moose size. My faves are the little baskets that strap over the head rest so that bitty dogs can see out the window. But I can't see us having a dog so small.. next one will be something big enough to give Maddy a run, but small enough not to be a home wrecker.
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:39 PM   #13
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
try this link for pet seat belts..

http://www.petmarket.com/advanced_se...rmsButton1.y=4
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:59 PM   #14
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Hey! thanks Dusty!!
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:32 AM   #15
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I can't imagine putting our Chocolate Lab in the 5er while on the road. I tried riding in one a long time ago just to see how rough it really was and it was no picnic. I would suggest against it my friend. I think Ms. KoKo, our Lab, would probably hate us for it in the long run.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Still_waters

We travel with 2 Labs. We pull a 2955 Montana with a F-250 crew cab. I have arranged the back seat of the crew cab for a place for the dogs when traveling. However, the dogs have grown to the point that they can no longer share the back seat comfortably. My wife has suggested that they travel in the Montana and she would ride in there with them. I am considering this. I have always heard or been told that its against the law for anyone to ride in a pulled trailer but have been unable to find this in writing. When I think about it, it seems perfectly safe. We would be in contact with each other by cell phones and/or hand held two way radios. Your thoughts or comments on this would be appreciated. Thank you.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:31 PM   #16
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
We set up the back seat of the duelly truck for the golden girls. They ride on a platform Steve constructed with padded seat and water bowl and room to move around a little. Thank goodness the minute we pull out they lay down and sleep since its a "travel day". Of course when they need a potty break they come up between us and let us know which is great for me as I usually need one too! I worry about them becoming projectiles, but really want them in the truck with us. We talked about letting them ride in the trailer, but I think it would be really hard on them mentally as they would be separate from us not be able to see as they are too big to move much in the retracted camper. I vote no for riding in the trailer.
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:02 AM   #17
flyerone
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5263
Does anybody have any pictures of how they set up the back seat. I was thinking that I could just get some plywood, padding and cover it with fabric. We have a golden one and a yellow lab. Thanks.
flyerone is offline   Reply With Quote