Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #1
joegpetro
Established Member

M.O.C. #15871
Anti-Freeze Leak and White Water Lines

In December 2014 I purchased a 2015 Montana 3610RL. It was winterized when I picked it up and I noticed nothing out of order. Recently (February 2015) when looking in the outside storage area under the bathroom area, I noticed a small puddle of anti-freeze directly under the four water lines going up to the bathroom sink. All four lines (red, blue and the two white ones) had drops of anti-freeze on them and from the slope of the lines, the leak had to come from above in the bathroom sink area and dripped down on all four lines. This small puddle of anti-freeze was not there when I picked the unit up in Indiana nor has it been there again since I wiped it up about two weeks ago at home in Montana. Other than knowing the leak came somewhere between the bathroom sink fixtures, down through the bathroom flooring to the outside storage compartment floor, I'm at a loss as to where the leak originated or why it leaked when not in operation and under pressure.

I would appreciate any feedback on this issue. Also what are the two white lines are for? They run along side the red and blue for as far as can be seen, from under the bathroom sink, down through the flooring and then horizontal towards the rear of the unit. They terminate under the bathroom sink near the hot and cold faucet connections. Both white lines are capped at this location and their use escapes me. Maybe they are vented and the anti-freeze leaked or escaped from that location?

Thanks for any help.

Joe

joegpetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:13 AM   #2
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Several folks have posted about loose hose fittings on new units. Sounds like you may have that problem, but for something to have leaked from a supply hose it would have to have been under pressure. From what you describe, there shouldn't have been any. Think you need to get it back to your dealer and have them troubleshoot & fix it since it's a new unit.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:40 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Although I don't know why they would be white ... if you don't have the washer/dryer option, maybe they are stubs for that option??? Vacuum breaker lines that the vacuum breaker never got put on for your black tank flush??
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:58 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
That is one of the exact same problems we had with our 3610 last summer. Even with pressure on all summer sometimes we experienced no leak and the next time we looked there would be a few drops.

Over the summer I wrapped the blue and red lines in a bit paper towel as they come down from the faucet and sure enough one of them, can't remember which one, was wet each time we checked. In the fall the dealer traced it back to the bath faucet and replaced it, we shall see.

If it is the faucet there was probably enough pressure left in the line to allow the antifreeze to ooze out where ever the leak is.

The white lines are a vacuum breaker I believe and it is tucked way up under the sink just below the taps from what I can feel.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:03 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That vacuum breaker has itself been a problem for many of us. Low quality and prone to leaks. Definitely something to check.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:07 AM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Yes, if we still have an intermittent leak this season the very first thing to do is replace vacuum breaker.

Of course in our case the water seemed to be dripping from one of the tap lines, but it is possible that it was just transferring over from the breaker line somewhere up above where they touch each other. They come up through the same hole in the floor of course.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:18 AM   #7
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Since all four lines are wet, I thought that maybe the sink drain trap could be loose and leaking if anti-freeze was used to winterize it. Just a thouht. Good luck.

Walt
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 05:21 AM   #8
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
My bath sink faucet leaked a slight amount of water out the top uner the handle due to the valve not being tight enough. That leak will migrate under the faucet, down the water lines. The extra lines are the black tank rinse and they should be connected together under the sink by a black plastic anti-syphon valve. It will spurt a little water each time the rinse is on before it totally seals the air gap. John
Old 02-16-2015, 05:54 AM   #9
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

My bath sink faucet leaked a slight amount of water out the top uner the handle due to the valve not being tight enough. That leak will migrate under the faucet, down the water lines. The extra lines are the black tank rinse and they should be connected together under the sink by a black plastic anti-syphon valve. It will spurt a little water each time the rinse is on before it totally seals the air gap. John
You see, I wondered firstly about that anti-siphon valve doing that but when we started to monitor it closely we ended up with a puddle even after not using the black tank flush and a lot of times no puddle AFTER using the black tank flush so we moved on to look for something else. We will see.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
joegpetro
Established Member

M.O.C. #15871
Thanks for all your posts and suggestions.

From what I've been able to find out, the white lines are definitely for the black tank rinse and they are capped and joined together under the sink by a plastic anti-syphon valve (thanks to jcurtis934). With this information I talked with an RV Service Tech and he told me the white lines were for the black tank rinse and had been winterized with anti-freeze along with the rest of the water system. He said it was quite possible the leaked anti-freeze came from these lines via the anti-syphon valve and the lines would not have to be under pressure to do so. Come this spring I'll flush all anti-freeze and put the water system under pressure to see if any leaks occur. If no leaks occur, I'll assume the anti-freeze came from the white lines and quite possibly won't leak again or very little if they do.

Thanks again for all your help. This Forum is one of the best things going. People helping people and expecting nothing in return. The knowledge of one helping another seems to work well for the common good.
joegpetro is offline   Reply With Quote