Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #21
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
The last time we were in cold weather I noticed several places that radeated cold into the Monty, the first thing Keystone needs to get rid of is those aluminum framed windows, and go to plastic ABS or PVC hold your hand in front of the window frame you will be suprised how much cold is transfered into the RV from just them, next is the plug outlets on the front and rear caps. I going to get some expantion foam for them, and plastic bag them first before I foam them. That will help keep the RV warmer even if you have the Artic package as I do.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:01 AM   #22
grizmt
Established Member

M.O.C. #9642
When we left MT it had been around 6 degrees +/- for over a week with off and on wind adding to the cold. While we burned through about 1/2 tank of propane a day and the tanks kept icing up at half way we were very toasty and warm. 2010 Big Sky. The only thing that kind of froze up were the waste gates.
Yes the windows are cold, so are the ice cubes they put by the head of the bed, also called night stands (made out of corian and attached to the walls by metal screws. I'd vote for more of a residental vinyl window frame, maybe triple glass? The blackout shades do help with insulation somewhat.
grizmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yep, NASCARron, you got it right. If the furnace doesn't run the belly gets no heat.

Grizmt, on our previous Montana we froze the galley tank dump valve. I found we had a gap where the sidewall comes under and overlaps the bellypan. That gap scooped north wind right onto the dump valve. Once I sealed that location we had no more problems with that dump valve. Any chance this is what's happening on yours? Or something similar?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #24
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I have got to ck the back of mine. The galley tank valve froze in tenn at christmas. I will take down the back part of the belly this summer and see what is wrong. I would love to double the insulation in the belly then. steve I am going to look where you said for air leaks. I need to take another look where I installed the hitch also.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We only used 6 tanks of propane in Feb and 83.00 worth of Power. March is looking better. Although we did not get the warm and toasty package we did get the "no leak" package. We have had torrential rains here and we are dry. It has rained all day today and is still raining and I mean raining They said 6 inches of rain....... Do these things float???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:41 PM   #26
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Richfaa, that's only better than the prior month of $16 less electricity according to a prior post. The propane usage was the same, but I hope it was cheaper than $127. Bad news Rich, these things don't float. I've been reading recently that they sink (poor Rondo, I hope he's rescued his Monty by now).

Worse winter I ever camped in was a Coleman TENT trailer. On impulse we loaded up and drove all day to the south rim of the Grand Canyon two days after Christmas and AFTER a winter storm had come and gone. We finally arrived at 1:00am and the temp was 0 degrees. We shoulda got the clue that the CG was virtually empty! While the family stayed in the Family van with the heat running, I set up everything wearing jeans (worse thing to wear in the cold), a polo shirt and a zip up sweatshirt. I was moving so fast I actually stayed warm (but it does take a LOT of cold for me to get cold and this was not enough). The trailer only had a small electric heater that was COMPLETELY worthless unless it was in your face (After this trip we went a bought a huge propane catalytic heater).

Fortunately, we had warm sleeping bags and after I "pre-warmed" each sleeping bag, we placed each of our kids wearing their very warm pajamas in their beds. DW and I used sleeping bags zippered together and when we finally crawled in to sleep, DW made me cuddle next to her because she was freezing even with PJs, sweats and thermals, I just wore my usual T-shirt and sweatshorts but with socks - it was like hugging an icicle but things eventually warmed up. Relax, keep it clean, by this time it was approaching 2:00am and I was exhausted from rushing around so fast at 7,500 ft I had NO problem falling asleep. I don't remember anything after that until we woke up the next morning. And the heater still sucked.

Now DW and I have a Monty with the infamous Arctic Package and some of you think it's too cold inside, still? I guess I won't try and do any cold camping unless I win the lottery. I wonder if I should consider installing a Propane tank in my truck bed for when I do get rich, then we can run all the heat we want. But I'm gonna need a bigger duty truck.

Thanks for the warnings and good hints, folks.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:19 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
To be serious . We have never been in temps below 28 degrees in this thing and this Florida winter was as cold as we have been in. You can be comfortable..at a price.. and with additional clothing. But they are drafty. Cold air is tramsmitted through the walls and window frames. In our experience anything below 50 degrees and you need to be somewhere else add a 20/30 mph wind to that and it is uncomfortable. We never planned to use this thing in real cold or real hot weather. We knew better so that we may be uncomfortable is our fault.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #28
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Rich - it will stay warmer if you leave the slides in...
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:14 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
TomS..why didn't we think of that. Have brought them in because of high winds. Actually it may not be a bad idea In real cold weather. In the 3400 you can get to bedroom and john and if you open the main slid a foot or so you can get to the rest of the camper. It would be much warmer as the drafts would be reduced...
Old 03-17-2010, 06:43 AM   #30
PatandBill

M.O.C. #10226
have a 2008 Montana 3400RL. Have to agree the heat is terrible. We are in Florida for the winter (from NY) and are not very comfortable in RV. To maintain heat at 67, it is running all the time. We are using fireplace and electric heater to stay warm. We did notice the heat ducts to the furnace really seem to be very wrong! The large hose goes upstairs in the bedroom and the small one is heating the bathroom. The other one just dangles in space! Can't get any answers from dealer or keystone. We have also blocked the louvers behind the stairs to cut down on drafts. Would appreciate any help from anyone.
PatandBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #31
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
If not paying electric, we block the heat vents and the return air vent under the steps, and use two Lasko tower heaters. If we are paying for electic, we split the heating between the furnace and the Laskos...covering the vents and the return air vent when not using the furnace. If using both, we use the furnace in the morning to help take the chill off, then the Laskos the rest of the day.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:53 AM   #32
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
It would be nice if Montana installed double pane windows with their Arctic Package.................

I've talked with friends of mine with SOB's that had this feature & it helped quite a bit....Also insulating the roof vents makes a difference.

My two cents,

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 05:53 AM   #33
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
We opted not to get double paned windows. The small increase in insulation, IMHO, does not offset the extra cost and weight. Those windows are not nearly as efficient as in the stick house. As noted earlier, it seems most of the drafts come in around the slides.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:01 AM   #34
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Just a comment on dual pane windows. We owned one 5th wheel without dual pane windows, and that was a good lesson for us. Don't know about the R-factor but the noise level is so much quiter. With our 5er buttoned up and all windows closed we hear very little noise from the outside. As for weight and cost it wasn't a issue at all. We wouldn't consider a RV without dual pane windows. The frameless version of the dual pane windows the RV manufactors are now using is a much better and the apperance is very nice. Good Luck with you choice. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #35
lenlin84
Established Member

M.O.C. #7530
We've found that if we keep the day/night shades pulled all the way down to cover the window frames(keeps the drafts down to a dull roar) and keep our insulating pillows in all the ceiling vents (they help the most), we can maintain a comfortable temp in our '03 3255RL. As long as the furnace is running. when it stops, the temp goes south quickly. Here in So. Utah where the winters are usually very mild but very windy(but very chilly this year), our Propane usage was about 1 30 lb. bottle every 7 to 10 days. I have added extra foil type insulation to the ceiling of the basement area. even with the furnace we used a small electric heater for the bedroom area and an Eden Pure heater for the rest of the unit. Does the 'Artic Package' work? I'm convinced it helps, I'm just not sure what 'Arctic' Montana was thinking about when they started advertising this particular asset.
lenlin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:55 AM   #36
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lenlin84

Does the 'Artic Package' work? I'm convinced it helps, I'm just not sure what 'Arctic' Montana was thinking about when they started advertising this particular asset.
It sounds good...an advertising gimmick.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote