Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2021, 03:12 PM   #1
KYRattler

M.O.C. #27645
Ceiling Staples

Hello all, our 2021 Montana HC 377FL is our first ever. We're currently full-timing and have been parked on site for a month. One by one the ceiling staples are working their way loose. NO ONE has been on the roof, and the only thing over our roof is the Iowan sky. This is A COVID-build, so I've found many little things wrong or askew, and I'm wondering if this is another one of those things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210616_181845124.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	9424  

KYRattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Covid had nothing to do with staples coming out. Our rig has had staples moving for many years. Occasionally, I get my stapler/nailer connected to the compressor and shoot staples everywhere things have come loose. This is just the way with these rigs. I’m pretty sure the ‘rolling earthquake’ is the best description why things are always coming loose. Walking on the roof does not make the staples come out. I never have nothing to do with our rig, seems as soon as I think I have it all done, something new always pops up.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:03 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
If a rock, buried in the ground will eventually work it's way to the surface over time, a staple is no comparison.

The vibrations of your camper: water pump, air conditioner, furnace, refrigerator kicking on and off, walking across the floor, wind, ... all of these cause movement in the camper and when there is movement anywhere, even very slight, something is giving way.

Add to that the heat changes in your camper, especially the ceiling, where the aluminum frame in your camper expands and contracts at one rate, and the paneling inside expands and contracts at a different rate, causing things like staples to wiggle out of place.

Welcome to RV ownership. It's just getting started for you! RV are a never ending project to maintain. There is no "part time" owner of an RV. If you own it, it's a full time job now to maintain it!
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:17 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Well said. If you aren't mechanically able or reasonably able to make repairs, these rigs will break the pocketbook. The more you can do, the better off you will be, and doing maintenance will get easier, especially as you acquire more and more tools and spare parts.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:29 AM   #5
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
Well said. If you aren't mechanically able or reasonably able to make repairs, these rigs will break the pocketbook. The more you can do, the better off you will be, and doing maintenance will get easier, especially as you acquire more and more tools and spare parts.
I agree with this but in 10 years fulltiming moving and sitting and in 3 different Montanas all bought new we never had an issue with staples pulling out.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #6
mnlegends

M.O.C. #28106
Good Day All,
This is my 1st post so your patience is appreciated. I agree with all of the seasoned RV veterans that you do need to keep up with maintenance. Our Montana Legacy is only 8 months old and have had it in the dealership twice for warranty issues. While cleaning the roof I found a staple sticking up behind the front AC unit (about 1/2") It is pulling on the rubber membrane. Figuring it is another warranty issue I wasn't too worried that it would get fixed...boy was I wrong! The "Customer Service" at Montana (Dutchman) basically told me to F!@# off and it wasn't covered. Our dealer and service rep "Joe" has tried to get Montana to approve about a 2 hour job to fix it. (best to pull AC unit and get under the membrane to pull) Well, Montana told him NO! I guess my best option is to slice the membrane pull the staple, screw it down and put Dicor on it. It's disappointing that the CS @ Montana doesn't really care about their customers...Thanks for letting me vent and Happy Travels to all in your "Rolling Earthquake" Cheers
mnlegends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I have seen several threads dealing with roof staples pushing up on the membrane. The advice I follow is that it’s best to leave it alone but keep an eye on it. If it has not torn the membrane, your roof is still performing as intended.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote