Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
Rsmarlow82
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22550
Quality Issues

We bought a new 2018 3701LK . Both of us are VERY disappointed in the quality and workmanship . From the misaligned main entrance door, to trim falling off the wall , to trim piece bulging at the seam, it is terrible We have traveled less than 1000 miles in 4 months, camped in it a total of 15 days, and to be honest fearful it will self destruct when we head out full time next year . Dealer so far has worked with us as many issues factory washed their hands of, but is anyone else having these issues ?? Quality is sub par
Suggestions ?? I know there isn't a lemon law for RVs but this come close ....

Rsmarlow82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
As my dealer says “They are all junk”.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:14 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Actually a few states lemon laws do apply to RV's and Lynwood is right they all have the problems no matter how much you pay. I subscibe to a notice that lists all the RV recalls every month and some of the dangerous short cuts taken by some of the high dollar manufacturers is a crime. We all know the low dollar ones are crap.
All that said, our 2010 had an overthreaded propane pipe that leaked, a main slide that the hole was too small and the trim on two slides fell off going down the road. So these issues aren't new, it just seems to be harder to get things fixed right than it used to.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmarlow82 View Post
We bought a new 2018 3701LK.......is anyone else having these issues ??......
I'm assuming you've spent little time on this or other RV sites, as you'd already know the answer. Most RVs are built on the cheap by relatively unskilled labor. There are exceptions but those are much more expensive.

My recent experience is that Montanas are built better than was my previous Forest River product, but FR was better at customer service. It appears your dealership, to its credit, is working with you on what sounds like relatively minor issues, so far.

If you have good repair skills and tools, great. If not, you might want to invest in an extended service contract, but those providers are very good at finding reasons not to pay. And, this and other RV forums have many folks whom can advise on various problems that may arise.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Welcome to the world of RV ownership circa 2018. Your overall concern is valid, but what you listed (so far) is minor in the overall scheme of things. People have to be aware that owning an RV requires one to be handy at fixing things whether it be carpentry or general mechanics. One would be foolhardy if they envisioned RV ownership as simply stocking the RV for a trip, hooking it to the truck, and heading on down the road. General maintenance is continual as in checking the suspension and keeping shackles and U Bolts torqued to spec ... along with semi annual inspection and caulking as needed of all seams. I realize my response may seem harsh ... your disappointment with build quality of a brand new unit is understandable ... unfortunately it is today's norm no matter the brand. Look closer before you lay the $$$ down next time. The first several months will be the worst, but once you get all the disappointments repaired ... it will level out.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #6
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
We have been very lucky with all three of our Keystone rigs first one was an 06, second a 2010 and the current one is a 2015. None of them had major problems.

But what I have found is dealers and mobile repair people with VERY few exceptions are clueless. They have no idea how to repair these rigs they are just parts replacers.

Like the auto industry there will be no changes until someone starts building a quality product like the Japanese did. Made the US auto industry stand up and take notice.

Talking about a class action law suit is a waste of time. The only result is the lawyers get rich, the manufacturers get hurt and some go out of business. Now that will screw with your warranty.

The only way to effect change is though competition.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote