Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #1
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Spring Hanger Bolts

Something else to check periodically to keep these rigs from falling apart on the road. Got to AZ a month ago, & while underneath checking for a brake wiring problem, I discovered I lost a spring hanger wet bolt on the rear axle CS wheel during the trip. Luckily, the spring stayed in the bracket & up against the frame - could have been a disaster! Ordered a new wet bolt kit & bushings from Dexter, & after about 4 hrs. of knuckle busting, 3 of us got the new bolt & nut installed & greased.

Be warned that these bolts are only secured by a flange nut that is torqued against the bolt shoulder by the threads - no lock/star washer as installed from the factory. I had another on the front axle loose on the same side, so I installed jam nuts against the flange nuts w/locktite to boot (after torqueing). Checked a Big Sky owned by another MOC member, & 3 of his shackle wet bolts were loose.

So add the wet bolts to the u-bolts & lug nuts as routine maintenance... Still working on the brake wiring problem..

worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:50 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Unless you happened to get some odd nut variation in your kit ... if you look, your flange lock nuts have serrations on the washer flange part of the nut eliminating the need for any fashion of a lock washer. Some spring hanger bolt kits come with deformed thread nuts instead of flange locknuts. They look like someone took the nut and slightly squeezed it in a vise making the threaded hole slightly oblong. These work equally as well minus the extra area provided by the flange. That being said ... a dab of loctite during assy = peace of mind.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:08 AM   #3
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
What came off (wet bolt & nut) is what was installed @ the factory when it came off the line. What was sent as replacements (from Dexter) are original Dexter OEM wet bolt & flange nut kit - NO serrations/deformities. Whatever the originals were makes no difference - mine were loose and so were 3 on another Big Sky.

That being said, everyone should check 'em as part of routine maintenance...
Old 01-28-2016, 03:51 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Alrighty then ... just another tid bit on spring hangar bolts for those reading ... do not try and turn the bolts to tighten the assy, always tighten the nut. The bolts are like wheel studs and have serrations at the shank next to the head. The bolt is semi pressed into the spring hangar bracket and the serrations prevent it from turning.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:04 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jim-- do you know what the torque is suppose to be on the bolt/nut on those wet bolts so I don't over tighten them IF I find any loose on our unit before heading out? Thanks for the warning and something else to be checking!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 05:51 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...andService.pdf

Page 13 very bottom 30 - 50 lbft torque.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Rondo - 30 - 50 ft/lbs is correct, per the instruction sheet that came with the kit from Dexter. Also, to be clear, the flange washers are NOT serrated, but the shoulder bolts are. When I replaced the missing wet bolt (along with a new bushing & nut), I lined up the bolt serrations w/the corresponding ones in the hanger before driving it home. Also, the nut HAS to seat & be torqued on the bolt shoulder (nearest the threads) & NOT on the hanger itself. I have a feeling it wasn't installed properly (torque or nut seating) @ the factory...
Old 01-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I see this all the time, but using a range for a torque spec always bothers me, since I've also read torque tools have their own accuracy range of 5 to 10%. I ALWAYS shoot for the exact middle of a torque range specification to allow for torque tool tolerance ranges.

Now I'll go and check my wet bolts for 40 ft/lbs or should I just shoot for checking at 50 ft/lbs. Is this about right?

Another example, the lug nuts for my Monty are spec'd at 110 to 120 so I use 115. They have kept at 115 each time I check (about twice a month, since I move about twice a month).
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #9
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Art - I set 'em @ 45 ft/lbs, only because I never go for the high limit on torque settings. Personal preference...
Old 01-30-2016, 06:13 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Checked all of mine today along with the U-bolts and all were good! I did have one nut on the wetbolts that was just a little off but it only turned about a quarter turn and the torque wrench clicked. I greased all of the wetbolts also and I'm ready to roll except for topping off the tire pressure and finishing up loading the basement. The only problem I'm seeing now is the blizzard heading our way. LOL
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote