Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #21
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Again, re-read my post above. Camping World has a PRICE MATCH guarantee. It is rarely advertised, but it does exist. On certain items, I like feeling or even tying the product before buying and CW allows that and will match any brick and mortar price. And, if they match the price, that is even better. But, on other items, if I cannot find a lower price in a brick and mortar store, then Amazon is there.

Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #22
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Captain Joe

Again, re-read my post above. Camping World has a PRICE MATCH guarantee. It is rarely advertised, but it does exist. On certain items, I like feeling or even tying the product before buying and CW allows that and will match any brick and mortar price. And, if they match the price, that is even better. But, on other items, if I cannot find a lower price in a brick and mortar store, then Amazon is there.
Here's a link to the CW Price guarantee, etc. Any "Price Match" must be well hidden as I couldn't see any reference to it.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #23
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Also, isn't that a 'sticks and bricks; deal anyway? I think most of us use that new fangled Internet for our RV needs.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #24
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
CW prices are normally higher, usually much higher, than other places. If you can catch them on sale they are down to what is normal for the others...sometime even lower.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #25
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
CW is convenience shopping only. We go for the fun of it but rarely buy anything unless on sale or clearance. When on the road I try the local dealers before CW and that new fangled internet as well.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #26
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
One of our best days was the day we went perusing in Camping World and walked out without buying anything.

Amazon's search engine makes finding what you need real easy.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am a fan of Amazon. We do not have C.w nearby here but do in Florida. I make the trip at least once a month.Who knows what one might find and at what price.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #28
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
CW came to our city and purchased a dealership that was about to fail. Spent big bucks to improve the place to state of the art. Provided about 50 jobs. Provided about 300 RVs for public inspection. Filled a large store with items we all like to shop for. An investment of several million dollars in our community. Most of the products sold there being competitively priced. A co. that sends valuable coupons in mailers. Provides lunch every Saturday for its customers. invites customers to evening events, provides dinner and gives away $5000.00 in products at the event. Sends hundreds of dollars worth pf door prizes to our rallies. Then the sugggestion comes that we should shop with a mail order store who only has a warehouse and no employees after we used CW to see what we want to buy? Hmmmmm.........
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:27 PM   #29
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I guess I go against the grain as I consider myself a Camping World addict. First, consider that there are no Camping Worlds in West Virginia (bane or blessing?). When we camp, if there is a Camping World in the area, I always set aside some time to visit. While I do buy many items from Amazon, there is a benefit to being able to see what you buy. Granted, I usually focus on sale items, and do have a smartphone to verify prices, but, if the prices are reasonable, I will purchase at Camping World. The only thing I have noticed that is a trend everywhere is the China influence, oh well! I can assure you all of our local dealers are not competitive with regards to Camping World prices. Oh, I will also add, that DW regrets these shopping adventures, but in the end, she usually finds something to add to the cart as well. The only thing about Camping World that irks me are the "Internet Only" specials. I have had some success at the stores with them matching the "Internet only" specials, but this is usually store specific. Hopefully Hook's store is receptive to this since I have a lot of things that are needed for this new rig (Hint, Hint, Hint!), sorry Hook, had to put that out there!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #30
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

CW came to our city and purchased a dealership that was about to fail. Spent big bucks to improve the place to state of the art. Provided about 50 jobs. Provided about 300 RVs for public inspection. Filled a large store with items we all like to shop for. An investment of several million dollars in our community. Most of the products sold there being competitively priced. A co. that sends valuable coupons in mailers. Provides lunch every Saturday for its customers. invites customers to evening events, provides dinner and gives away $5000.00 in products at the event. Sends hundreds of dollars worth pf door prizes to our rallies. Then the sugggestion comes that we should shop with a mail order store who only has a warehouse and no employees after we used CW to see what we want to buy? Hmmmmm.........
Just so you have the real facts:

Amazon:
97,000 EMPLOYEES
61.09 BILLION in REVENUE
8.19 BILLION Total EQUITY
676 MILLION OPERATING INCOME
(-) minus 39 million (2012) NET INCOME
Old 09-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #31
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Hook's got a point and is more than welcome to support CW's pricing to support the big picture in his community but when I see identical products at CW and on-line and the on-line price including shipping is LESS THAN HALF of the CW price, I know where my $$$ are going. Surely CW and their massive buying power can at least be competitive with the guy with a website and a catalog! My beef as stated way back 3 pages or so ago was the clerk looking me in the eye and proudly announcing that I had just saved a bundle by using my GS card when in fact I was still paying double the on-line price!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #32
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Hook's got a point and is more than welcome to support CW's pricing to support the big picture in his community but when I see identical products at CW and on-line and the on-line price including shipping is LESS THAN HALF of the CW price, I know where my $$$ are going. Surely CW and their massive buying power can at least be competitive with the guy with a website and a catalog! My beef as stated way back 3 pages or so ago was the clerk looking me in the eye and proudly announcing that I have just saved a bundle by using my GS card when in fact I was still paying double the on-line price!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #33
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

Just so you have the real facts:

Amazon:
97,000 EMPLOYEES
61.09 BILLION in REVENUE
8.19 BILLION Total EQUITY
676 MILLION OPERATING INCOME
#8722;39 million (2012) NET INCOME
Old 09-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #34
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
As was said before,With their buying power I cannot believe they cannot blow everybody else out of the water as far as prices go ,maybe they could save a few bucks by not sponsoring race cars Etc.. ( sorry NASCAR guys),Look at how Costco is run and learn a lesson
Old 09-21-2013, 02:36 AM   #35
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Wherever you buy the story is the same. Know what you should be paying and know the quality of what you're getting. We all get stung occasionally, but most of us live and learn. More concerning is when the occasional Camping World has a bad rep on service (see the thread on Indianapolis). When we travel around the country and have problems it would be nice to know we could always trust Camping World. There are several I've had great experiences with, but apparently they are not all that way.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:28 AM   #36
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Hooks' got a point, but the bottom line is price. That's why Walmart is so successful. I hate that store. I'd rather buy just about anywhere else, but when it's not even a competitive price, the choice is obvious. I was watching the news the other day and saw that the average income in this country hasn't gone up in 20 years. But, look at the cost of living. Of course you're going to find the best price you can for a product.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:42 AM   #37
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
My biggest beef with CW is the fact most of them put their RV's for sale behind fence and won't let you just go and look thru them without a sales shark on your butt. I don't need a salesperson telling me what I what. When I find what I want I will go and get him. I would bet everybody on here, myself included, has bought stuff, and will continue to buy stuff every time they went into a CW.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #38
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The good thing about the 'Mom and pop' outfits is service, I have put together sets of 'what it takes' to do an RV job for customers, on the items needed for the remote electric dump valve, I even include wire taps I bought at the auto store. I got an order from Mikey on the electrical plug and cord for the rear cap on the side, I drove all around trying to find the exact parts needed, then went to my electrical supply house, they had to order the caps for the cord and the twist-lock receptacle, about 20 miles round trip, have to go back when they come in. I am wiring the cord for him when it comes in. Probably lose .money on the sale, but that isn't what it about for service-oriented small businesses. You can't get that at big corporate Internet stores.
I took a page from a small RV supply house over town I have been dealing with for years, I rebuilt a classic wood cabin cruiser, a 28' 1967 Ownens, with parts from him, he would confer with me and order exactly what I needed if he didn't have it.
Service..
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #39
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
If I buy a sewer hose fitting or some like part from Amazon, I don't care anything about the service, it's all about the price and all about my convenience.

It is entirely a different story if I am buying something that requires service; I hope I can find someone as reputable as Ozz.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #40
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
We stop at just about every CW we come across when we travel. Never spend much, but about always walk out with some item that catches our collective eye. I do so knowing I could probably find it cheaper on Amazon.com. Every dime spent helps the local economy we are in.
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote