Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2008, 02:30 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
She wore a yellow ribbon

One of my very favorite movies, I must admit I fought away tears, some from laughter, some from the touching scenes in the great John Ford movie about the Wild West and the United States Cavalry.
Marion Robert Morrison, the Duke. Born in Winterset Iowa.
‘The Duke’ was only 42 years old when he played the aging Cavalry Captain Nathan Brittles, in the second of three movies about the Cavalry. This one was the only movie of the three shot in Technicolor.
My wife and I have always loved pictures of the beautiful country around Monument Valley Utah where this movie was shot. We have yet to visit the area, but it is on our short list. I understand the exterior of the movie set, as well as the interior of the fort commanders residence is still there, and one can tour the museum.
Sgt. Tyree, (Ben Johnson) was one of my favorite supporting actors. His southern drawl, excellent horsemanship and complex relationship with Captain Brittles was interesting, Sgt. Tyree was actually a Captain in the Confederate Army. He joined the U.S. Cavalry after the war and made Sergeant. In real life Ben Johnson was a stunt double, wrangler, rancher and rodeo performer from Oklahoma, and is said to have saved the lives of some cast members on another movie set, in a wagon accident. He became one of John Ford’s stock actors. I loved these lines of his; “That ain’t my department, sir”
And when asked his opinion on where the warring Arapahos were headed;
“My mother didn't raise any sons to be makin' guesses in front of Yankee captains.”
Top Sergeant Qunincannon; (Victor Mclaglen,) the burly alcoholic aid to the Major was great in the movie as well, he was extremely lucky he was kept in check by his long time friend and superior, Captain Brittles.
I could identify with the plot of Captain Brittles’ upcoming compulsory retirement and his uncertainty of what would become of him. His line pertaining to that; "Old soldiers..., Miss Dandridge... hah! Someday you'll learn how they hate to give up. Captain of the troop one day: every man's face turned towards you; lieutenants jump when I growl! Now, tomorrow, I'll be glad if a blacksmith asks me to shoe a horse.”
This is a common thought with every man upon retirement, in one form or another, if one were to be honest about it.
The music, scenery, great acting and, of course the presence of the great John Wayne made for an enjoyable evening for us.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 02:58 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are also a fan of "The duke" and that movies is also one of our favotites. Watched "true Grit " last night. If you notice he always had the mostly same group of supporting actors around him in those early movies. We have beem to monument valley where many of those movies were shot, also Old Tuson (the one that burned).
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:34 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Jim,
Monument Valley is awesome. You will recognize some of the "rocks". Be sure and take the jeep tour that the Navajo offer. John Wayne was my Dad's favorite and when my brother had to go to a nursing home for Alzheimer's the only thing they sent with him was his John Wayne movies.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I didn't know Old Tucson burned. I went there a number of years ago when I was in AZ on a business trip and everytime I turned a corner, I would say to myself "Hey, I remember that!"
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
OxyVegas
Established Member

M.O.C. #8523
I went to Flowing Wells High School in Tucson. One day my buddy and I got the great idea one summer day to ride our bicycles out to Old Tucson. We had no water...no brains. We made it out there ok but darn near died getting back. Instead of riding back up the mountain road we decided to take a short cut straight up the mountain...carrying our bikes. Oh the memories.
OxyVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A fire destroyed a large portion of the set in 1995. We had been there in the late 70's and although the set was rebuilt we recognized little of the 70's sets. We do have many pictures of the set in the 70's with the building we remembed from the many movies filmed there.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Been to Old Tucson before and after the fire. There is a difference. I to love all Westerns, and my Darling Delaine Loves yellow roses. We were very lucky to have been thru out the Western States an Love Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Dakota's and for sure Arizona. I really believe I lived in another time, and if I didn't I wish I had lived in the old West. We hope to go out West next year. And we are for sure and always be Winter Texans in our heart. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Duke had a BIG Cotton farm just West of Casa Grande, AZ. Pontiac even built him a Vista Cruser station wagon with a raised roof (for his hat, of course). It used to be around here.

One of the older (?) ladies here in the park met him on a sailboat down in Mexico. She has that entry marked in her Diary.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote