Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Reese Slider Hitch Sticking

I did a search, but didn't find anything. Has anyone else had problems with a Reese slider hitch sticking? I have not gone back and greased the rails, but I wouldn't think you would want grease all over everything in the bed of the truck, but I'm about to that point. The problem is that, under load, the hitch does not slide from towing to maneuvering position. I am thinking about getting a different hitch.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
A quick shot to the rollers on each side where they penetrate the frame and you'll be back in business. After being stuck solid from lack of use over the winter, I used penetrating oil and was able to move it by hand within a few minutes.

I had to laugh - I was with my 12 year old son picking up the trailer after lubing the hitch the first time. He was laughing at me because everytime I let off the brake and got out of the truck to lock the lever into tow mode, the Monty would roll back and hit the back of the rails. It was nearly level ground! It was his idea to put the wheel chocks behind the back. It never slid that good when it was new, and its back to locked up in this fine month of February. I now just carry a spray can of white lithium lube behind the seat and give it a shot whenever I'm going to use it after sitting dormat for a month or so.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
We also use a silicone lube on the rails and moving parts. I use a dry lube on the exposed rails and regular lube on the other parts. Has always worked fine. I do mine in the spring when I re-install the hitch, we also have a bed cover so it stays out of the weather when not in use.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rames14

I did a search, but didn't find anything. Has anyone else had problems with a Reese slider hitch sticking? I have not gone back and greased the rails, but I wouldn't think you would want grease all over everything in the bed of the truck, but I'm about to that point. The problem is that, under load, the hitch does not slide from towing to maneuvering position. I am thinking about getting a different hitch.
You hold the trailer brakes while sliding the hitch? If so, and it doesn't slide, I would think maybe it is not releasing good. Our hitch is a little stiff at times, but with the trailer brakes locked and the truck pulling or pushing, it doesn't have a choice.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:30 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I've had mine get caught in the middle so I know it was released, yet I could practically drag the trailer tires through the gravel using the trailer brake.

At some point I'm sure truck horsepower would have overcame the dryness of the slide, but I didn't want to hear the result as it slammed into the back of the rails on the slider.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:25 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

I've had mine get caught in the middle so I know it was released, yet I could practically drag the trailer tires through the gravel using the trailer brake.

At some point I'm sure truck horsepower would have overcame the dryness of the slide, but I didn't want to hear the result as it slammed into the back of the rails on the slider.
Yep, it does make quite a racket when it hits the end of the rails. I did that once when I thought I had it latched in the towing mode. DW left an imprint in the top of the truck.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Give a check to the front cross rail. My dealer installed the hitch and did not put a bolt through the frame in the center of the rail, just on the two ends. When activating the slide it is sometimes hard to move and the front rail will pull up in the center. This actually changes the shape of the sliders and make it even more difficult to move. I had a Reese dealer look at it and he replaced the front rail with a bolt in the center and the hitch works just like a dream.
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Jimnjulie makes a good point. I remember now in the installation instructions about using the center bolt on the frame with the slider kit. That must be why they tell you to install it. On the non-slide hitches, you do not have to mount a center bolt.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Interesting - I do not have a bolt in the center of my forward rail, but I do in the rear rail. What is the forward center bolt supposed to attach to? There isn't much under there?
Old 02-25-2008, 09:28 AM   #10
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I think the purpose is to limit the amount of flex on the rail. Even though it only bolts thru the box. You are right, you can put in all the bolts you want,but if the frame rails are not square to each other and the slide parts are dry, the slide will never work right.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #11
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Check that the shaft on the release lever from left to right side is not twisted.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:10 AM   #12
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Lube it. All the difference between totally stuck and sliding smooth.
Happened to me. Raised he** with the dealer. Couple shots by the rollers, and it was as smooth as could be. I was embarassed actually.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:15 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ron, I had that problem a few years ago and no matter how much I greased the rails, it would not pop the slider. A friend who had been through this got out his can of slide lubricant, the stuff you buy at CW and Walmart, and sprayed the heck out of it. He sprayed the rails, and he sprayed inside every opening he could find around the slider mechanism. After that I could just trip the lever and push the slide all the way with one foot while standing in the bed. Might be worth a try.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 03:48 PM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Sorry I didn't respond before this, but I was in China the last weeks. I will be putting in the slider hitch in the next few weeks and will definitely be hitting it with the old spray lube everywhere. I will be using the silicone lube as suggested. Thanks for the input. Glad I'm not the only one.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #15
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
When You install the rails, MAKE SURE THEY ARE SQUARED UP. If out any more then 3/16" it will cause a problem.
I found it hard to dill holes through the Ribs on the Truck bed, without the drill bit wanting to move around.
(some of the holes were right on the edge of the rib, where the ribs slanted)
It called for some weird drill bit size like 17/32".....like finding that in the small town I live in was fun.
I think next time I would drill holes in truck bed a little bit larger. And as you tighten Bed rail bolts down do them
very evenly. Once every thing is square the slide works pretty good.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #16
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We've had our truck for almost four years, and had the hitch put in right away. I will check the rails, but I think it is more lube than anything.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
JH Schelt's point is excellent and critical. Also critical is to make sure the truck is on a flat surface. If one wheel is lower than the others you will have a bit of twist on the truck and after installing the hitch you induce a bind in the hitch mechanism.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:34 PM   #18
COPINMI
Established Member

M.O.C. #5945
Send a message via Yahoo to COPINMI
Check the website for Reese and it'll give you diagram and directions for doing the lube as required by the manufacturer.
COPINMI is offline   Reply With Quote