Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Home after a long stay away

Many of you know the frustration of coming back to the home base after being away for a long time. You know it will be bad, you just don't know how bad..
Turned water back on, faucets drip when they didn't.. washing machine won't work: flashes a code we haven't seen before on that.
You know, everything has a computer circuit board in it, freezer went Tango Uniform.. lucky my friend and good customer checked the house and switched the frozen stuff to my old back-up freezer.. hey, doesn't everyone have a back up freezer??
Fixed a leaking 'slop sink' valve, replaced it.. then the gasket up where you can't reach leaked. Have to get new riser gaskets to fix that.
The freezer had a bad solid state relay/start capacitor. I got the old 3-in-1 relay-capacitor-overload, kit and fixed the freezer, purrs like a kitten now. Took an hr. to clean the nasty stuff out of the bottom of it. Need to get Kohler faucet inserts to fix bathroom leaks.
Oh, the washing machine, I rotated the agitator by hand for about 5 minutes to free up the grease and parts that hadn't moved in 5 month's, that fixed it, had the thermostat down low and the oil/grease was cold and overloaded the motor and sensor kicked it out.
The old saying, it's always something applies here, but it is always a lot of something's coming home. At least we got home safe.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
Glad you make it home safe and sound... sorry about all the problems... We will get back to the house in about 4 or 5 months.. Sounds like I will have some work to do when we get there.. At least we do not have a freezer there..
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad to hear you got home safe. Dare I suggest that if you full time you only have one house to fix?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Glad you made it back home safe and sound Ozz.

We are heading back up to our house for a 2 week visit before the end of the month to sign the closing papers on it. Hope everything works fine when we get there. Will be nice not to have to worry about it any more.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I am envious, wish this one was sold. I am talking with a ex-coastie, he does sales and garage sales for people, I am making a start by getting rid of garage-sale type stuff. Dick, it is a monumental task.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
There's something to be said for keeping things in use. I used to volunteer for a couple railroad museum groups. The railroad equipment that moved regularly on their museum trains seemed to require much less upkeep than the equipment that sat on static display in the museum. Don't know why, maybe movement shakes the rust out of it. I think the same principle applies to an RV or a stick home. What I sense on the MOC site that there tend to be more issues when things sit unused for long periods of time than if they were kept in constant use.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:43 AM   #7
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Ozz you and went and got me thinking once again. We was actually thinking of maybe buy another home this year and leaving it set working on it a little here and there, as we are in no way ready to give up the lifestyle. But we are trying to plan for the future for when that time comes that we can't fulltime anymore. It's just a good time to buy right now and it's only going to keep going up in cost as the yrs. go by. Am I going to really save when I see post like this? Do I really want this headache of wondering whats going on at the house? Man, second guessing this as I type, thanks for the heads up guy!!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Sounds to me like you need to go camping???
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote