Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Day of Reflection

8 years ago I was getting ready to take my first trip after retirement. It was changed in a moment by the attack on our country and the Twin Towers in NY. I did not travel for a year.

I lost 343 brother firefighters in a few minutes, people that went to work as they always did, not knowing what their fate had in store for them.

Take a moment today to thank the Lord for what we have and enjoy. You never know what is in store for us.

rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
AMEN!!
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Was in school that day teaching kids some math around 10 am or so when a fellow teacher banged on my door telling me something about planes and the WTC tower and nothing left. Got a call from the school main office to come down. Our county communication center was on the phone stating that they wanted all fire stations in the county manned as "We are at war". (I am EMS captain.) Scared the crap out of me. Left for the station. Ran an EMS call for bee stings. While at the hospital, I found a TV and saw what had happened. COULD NOT BELIEVE MY EYES!! COULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED HERE!! Fear set in. Our Junior class trip to NYC was about 4 weeks away. We visit the WTC. I thought "If this happened later, we could have been there."

Have visited the WTC memorial, FDNY Engine 46 and Ladder 27 - they lost several in the collapse. Been to see the memorial at Shanksville, PA - Extremely moving. Hope to get to the Pentagon some day.

Those images will forever be burned in my mind.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am watching "The day the towers fell" on the History channel. I am so angry. I am angry at many of us and at our Government because we have put 9/11 aside. It is history. It can't happen again. " They" will fight us to the death. We don't seem to care anymore.We are at a campground.Folks are setting up their 5th wheel next to us. Kids are running around having fun. Some of the ladies went to Amish country to do some shopping. It is a beautiful 9/11 day. Then I look to my right and see those horrible pictures from another 9/11 day on TV. Smoke, flames bodies falling from the towers. It is history....We just don't care anymore..I am so angry.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
Rich - I understand and share your anger, but, we must not cower in the basement in fear of these enemys, otherwise they will have already won.

We must always remember, and remain alert to things that "don't look right". Prepare with your stores of non-perishable foods and bottled water.

9/11/01 IS history. We should be at campgrounds, at the Amish Country Store, etc. and we should continue to care as well. And, if you can - check out this site, and see if you can attend an event http://www.operationwelcomehomemd.org/ It will be a few hours out of your day, that may be remembered for a lifetime!
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Tonight, my son-in-law, a Santa Rosa firefighter will be carrying the American Flag during opening ceremonies at the Giants/Dodger game. In addition to his regular duties, he serves on the departments Honor Guard. Our daughter and their 2 month old son will be in attendance with Marilyn & I plus other family members. Only seats we could get were nose bleed but just being present is an honor.

We are beaming with pride and thankful for those that serve.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I spent 25 years as a volunteer firefighter and when the Towers collapsed I cried knowing full well some of my brothers were inside.

My Mom always taught us to "Forgive and Forget". Sorry Mom, but I will never FORGIVE and I damn sure will NEVER FORGET.

Rich, did you happen to watch TV today? If you did you hafta know your statement "We just don't care anymore..." couldn't be further from the truth. We do care but we can't let it eat at us. We all have our ways of remembering this tragedy and we must never forget but we MUSt get on with our lives. If we don't than they won. Say a prayer, cool the anger and get on with life.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 04:02 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I had trouble pulling away from the history channel all day 9/11 as we watched and remembered that day. I am not talking about remembering that day . I am talking about doing something about it. It was not a tragedy. A hurricane with property damage and injury is a tragedy. This was a delebrate act of terrisom by folks who have openly declared they want to destroy us. Over 3000 people were killed that day in a few mins.More than were killed at Pearl Harbor yet we are hesitate to hold those folks accountable or confront them where we know they are. They will be back. They now know they can get away with it with little punishment. So we spent one day remembering...... What are we doing today to prevent the next time....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Rich

I know you're bitter here, but to say what are we doing about it today?

Ask the soldiers that are dieing every day what we are doing today. They are giving the ultimate price for our freedom. Being able to travel on retirement and do what we want when we want. Please don't forget them.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:16 AM   #10
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Rich, I personally feel that we are not just remembering one day, the world changed that day. If you don't think things are being done to prevent another time, then I don't think you see what has changed in normal lives everyday, especially someone that was involved in the airline industry.

I agree that we went to war after that day, and the war might not ever be won, but that is the price we pay for a free society and as some have said, our young men and women in foreign countries are paying the supreme price for this freedom.

I will not forget, I will not forgive, but I will give thanks and praise for this world we live in compared to what it could be.

Bless all the soldiers and first responders that protect us and give us the freedom to live a life of our choosing, and protect them in their hour of need.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote