Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2019, 09:05 AM   #1
jdhowl01

M.O.C. #23310
Surge Protection in 20th Anniversary Legacy Edition

I took delivery of a 2019 Montana 3811MS 20th Anniversary Legacy Edition custom ordered trailer. From what I see on the Keystone website and 20th Anniversary Legacy Edition information on what is included in the package, I should have built in surge protection. I have not found any reset or any indication that I actually have built in surge protection. My dealer didn't know and I sent the question to Keystone with my trailers VIN but I am still waiting a response (to be fair, its only been a couple days). Anyone know if the 20th Anniversary Legacy Edition actually has surge protection and where I would look to physically find it?

jdhowl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:09 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
My understanding is that there is one there somewhere, but it's not what you need. With all the electronics in these rigs you really need an EMS (Progressive would be my choice) to protect you from surges as well as low voltage and/or miswired pedestals. Ours has saved us in both low voltage situations and miss wired campgrounds on at least 5 occasions.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
My understanding is that there is one there somewhere, but it's not what you need. With all the electronics in these rigs you really need an EMS (Progressive would be my choice) to protect you from surges as well as low voltage and/or miswired pedestals. Ours has saved us in both low voltage situations and miss wired campgrounds on at least 5 occasions.
I saw that when they switched over from the 2018’s to the 2019’s but I prefer the Progressive Industries 50 amp with LCD display. Took me 30 minutes to install and at least I know we are protected wherever we go, can’t trust CG’s electric

I had a PI Surge protector 50amp in my other 5th wheel then pulled it out and put it into my Montana.

I feel safe now when I plug into a CG so good luck
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #4
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
I installed that same 50a EMS with the readout. Took me a bit longer than a half hour for I removed my fuse box. This way it protects from both campsite and generator, not that would expect to have issues with the genset.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:20 PM   #5
ACFD139
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20882
Following
ACFD139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #6
jdhowl01

M.O.C. #23310
I just received a response from Keystone. They said there is a Progressive Dynamics Surge protector mounted in the pass through on the drivers side wall. The only panel I see there is the power control module for the in-command system. I will pull the cover on that module and take a closer look to see if there is something that looks like surge protection in there.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #7
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
The Progressive Dynamics Surge protector is part of the transfer switch. https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/au...he-silent-ats/
This does protect against over voltage when switching from shore power to Gen. power and back but does nothing for under voltage, open neutral, etc. This is not an EMS. Progressive Industries is what should be looking at for full protection.
www.progressiveindustries.net
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #8
Montajmahal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23285
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatzzz View Post
The Progressive Dynamics Surge protector is part of the transfer switch. https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/au...he-silent-ats/
This does protect against over voltage when switching from shore power to Gen. power and back but does nothing for under voltage, open neutral, etc. This is not an EMS. Progressive Industries is what should be looking at for full protection.
www.progressiveindustries.net
Yes, Yes! The Progressive EMS absolutely saved our Airstream (30 amp) in a major lightning strike in Florida and Fried the EMS. Life time warranty, sent it back and was replaced within 5 days. We now have the 50 amp for the Montajmahal (3791RD). Ours is not the hard wired version though, it plugs in at the post and saved the power cord as well.
Montajmahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #9
jdhowl01

M.O.C. #23310
Keystone got back to me with the exactly where my surge protection is contained and which model I have. As stated in a earlier response, the surge protection is provided as part of the transfer switch. The model I have is a is a Progressive Dynamics PD52DCS. According to the Progressive Dynamics spec sheet for the transfer switch, it has open neutral, reverse polarity, under voltage, over voltage, and surge protection. I am not sure how good it really protects the electronics. I purchased a surge protector that plugs into the power pole just to give me added assurance and it gives me indication at the power source if there is a problem with the campground wiring when I hook up. Out of curiosity, is there a difference between Progressive Industries referenced earlier and Progressive Dynamics?
Old 04-20-2019, 12:01 PM   #10
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhowl01 View Post
Out of curiosity, is there a difference between Progressive Industries referenced earlier and Progressive Dynamics?
Yes, two different companies. Check the links in my post above and you will see the difference.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Same as most above on the EMS.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:13 PM   #12
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Even though you may not have the Progressive Industries model you still have the surge,low voltage, miss wire and open neutral which is the important things to have. Many people get caught up in the surge protection but the other things are just as important. I would probably leave as is but it's your money.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:42 PM   #13
lkcritton
Established Member

M.O.C. #22615
Surge Protector

So whats the difference between the Progressive Industries 50 Amp hard wired vs the plug in. I just received the hard wired and was considering exchanging it for the plug in because I was concerned about the difficulty level of the installation. Any suggestions
lkcritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:39 PM   #14
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
Hard wired on our 2019 3791 Progressive that i took off the old camper. Wanted something ri show what the problem was. I justed installed it in series with the factory.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:26 AM   #15
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkcritton View Post
So whats the difference between the Progressive Industries 50 Amp hard wired vs the plug in. I just received the hard wired and was considering exchanging it for the plug in because I was concerned about the difficulty level of the installation. Any suggestions
They are not hard to install but get yourself a 12-18” piece of 6-3 wire so that you will have room to move the Surge Protector around behind your Fuse panel, just make sure you take photos of all the factory wiring before you start in case you can’t remember where all the new wires go. Took me 30 minutes to install mine and it is secure and done correctly, I had called CW just to see what they wanted and was quoted $400-$600 which is crazy.

Take your time make sure all the wires are installed as per their instructions and all wires are tight into their connections and you will be fine.

You can buy the 6-3 wire at Lowe’s or HD bc with 50 amp Service you have 2 hot wires, a ground and a neutral wire, so called 6-3 but essentially total of 4 wires, Black, White, Red, green and a copper wire.

Good Luck but it really is easy, most difficult part for me was deciding where to put the remote display without drilling homes in my new Montana.
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #16
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
I installed mine between the transfer switch and the panel. That way you're protected whether you are using shore power or a generator. Also I placed mine behind the panel in the basement. Mounted the indicator on the wall of the basement. I saw no need of having another light on the wall inside.
The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #17
raygreg
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23813
Surge Protection in 20th Anniversary Legacy Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhowl01 View Post
I just received a response from Keystone. They said there is a Progressive Dynamics Surge protector mounted in the pass through on the drivers side wall. The only panel I see there is the power control module for the in-command system. I will pull the cover on that module and take a closer look to see if there is something that looks like surge protection in there.
I have a 3120RL. I found the surge protector behind the bulkhead in the curb side storage bin. It is just to the left ( as you face it)of the in-command.
Take out 4 screws and there it was.
Maybe yours is in the same place
raygreg is offline   Reply With Quote