Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2022, 04:58 PM   #1
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Grrrrr: Good Sam Roadside assistance

After driving about the last 80 miles to our campground in Hot Springs Arkansas at 50 mph or less we checked in, set up our rig and called Bad Sam roadside assistance. The front end of our F-250 was shaking badly for a couple hours while towing our 32121rl.
At 3 in the afternoon, I had found a local repair business open Saturdays who was willing to take a look and hopefully fix our tow vehicle. Then I called Bad Sam and got a computer generated message to work through. They sent me an email link which I filled out. Waited about an hour and finally got a call from a Bad Sam rep. She asked the same questions I had answered on the text form and gave me the name of the closest repair facility and asked if that was ok. I said no as I wanted it towed to the NAPA shop which is the only place open and working Saturdays here. She said there would be an additional charge. When I asked how much she said the tow driver will “secure” the vehicle and let me know then……Sorry folks but at that time I blew up. The Napa shop is 3.3 miles from here and the other shop is 3 miles. She told me the towing only covers 2 miles or the closest shop. As the gentleman I normally try to be, I said to cancel my request and to cancel my contract. I understand that when the vehicle is “secured” we are essentially at their mercy and probably won’t even get a kiss out of the deal!

What say you? This is my first and only experience with using a roadside service contract.

Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 05:28 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
"Front end shaking"
Do you mean "Death Wobble".

https://youtu.be/07yvJuhnUYM

https://youtu.be/SRMvjeBFFYU
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 06:12 PM   #3
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
I wish! Death wobble would be a relief. This is probably tie rods or something of that nature. Something is seriously wrong in the front end. Started off slowly then got real bad. Didn’t want to stop so just kept slowing down. Found a NAPA store open and working tomorrow. So hopefully…..

Byron B
Old 09-09-2022, 06:23 PM   #4
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Good luck. Let us know how you come out. Breakdowns are always my biggest concern.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 07:38 PM   #5
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
This is our first breakdown requiring a tow. We live in 3 different fivers and have been full timing over 13 years. I am definitely cancelling my Bad Sam roadside assistance. I will hopefully find out in the morning what the problem is and how long it will take to fix it.
Old 09-10-2022, 05:40 AM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I understand your frustration with the customer service. It sucks everywhere. They all want the customer to put all the details in a mechanized system then their humans, when they finally get back to you, ask the same questions.
In our neck of the woods a 3 mile tow is less than $125.00. Let them tow it and pay the difference if there is any. Then cancel the roadside assistance if you want. The primary objective is to get the vehicle to the repair shop. Hopefully the NAPA shop can make the repairs.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:04 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I had a car once that had the "death wobble" happen. It happened at specific speeds and quite consistent. Long story short, it turned out to be the tires. The grooves in the front tires (long ways, not cross wise) had uneven wear, like a roller coaster up and down. One groove had a spot going up, the very next groove to it had the spot going down. When the tires hit just the right spots in sync, it caused the death wobble, the steering wheel shook violently and made driving very scarry.

Repair shop figured it out. Got new tires and never had that problem again.

About road assistance.... it's like your health insurance company. You have to go to the doctors "in the plan" and use the prescriptions "on the formulary list" or else you pay extra. If you want the doctor, or you want the specific prescription, you pay! It's just that simple.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 08:01 AM   #8
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
One of my complaints about the customer service is not so much the “mechanized system” but the length of time it took for a response. I picture being somewhere, barely with cell service, extreme weather and having to wait that long for a response much less the amount of time in addition to actually getting service.
I called an “independent” tow company recommended by the NAPA store that charged me $75 to pick up my truck and take it to the NAPA store. My auto insurance will cover that.
The big issue is waiting until my vehicle is “secure” on the tow truck for an estimate. According to laws in many states, your vehicle is controlled by whoever has it secured. Not a secure feeling IMHO.
Old 09-10-2022, 08:06 AM   #9
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
While writing a reply below I got a call from the NAPA store. The problem is one of the brake calipers was locking up and had turned the rotor into a heat generating dynamo! A $1,000 fix but it will be completed today!
I asked him to please Box up the offending parts so that I may return them to my shop at home that just replaced the calipers, rotors and pads on the front end about 5,000 miles ago. This is a local shop that I trust and continue to trust completely. I am chalking s up to a defective part!
Old 09-10-2022, 09:40 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We've used Coach-net several times over the years and we always had wonderful service.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 03:24 PM   #11
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
On my 2011 f350 I had a rear caliper that I replaced 3 X over 3 years. Then on YouTube a mechanic said repeated caliper problems could be caused by a rubber brake line getting old and delaminating inside and cutting off the fluid from returning and allowing the caliper to release. I changed the rubber lines to that caliper and problem solved.
2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:22 AM   #12
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
With the standard plan, you get unlimited towing distance to the nearest service facility, with a vehicle., normally the closest dealership. Only with the Platinum Plus plan do you have the option to choose a service facility of your choice up to 100 miles. Sounds like the GS rep was less than honest with you. I have used my GS twice over the years, both times they towed us to the nearest campground and then towed the vehicle to the nearest dealership. Unlimited towing distance to the facility they select A tow distance of two miles is useless, probably would not get you to the next interstate exit. Nobody would buy their policy under those constraints.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 12:22 PM   #13
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by artfuldodger View Post
On my 2011 f350 I had a rear caliper that I replaced 3 X over 3 years. Then on YouTube a mechanic said repeated caliper problems could be caused by a rubber brake line getting old and delaminating inside and cutting off the fluid from returning and allowing the caliper to release. I changed the rubber lines to that caliper and problem solved.
I had a front caliper lock/not release at 93K on my Ram. Rear caliper same at 163K. Both times my mechanic replaced the hoses on the effected axle. He said it is more often than not the source of the problem especially if they are original hoses.
Old 09-11-2022, 12:48 PM   #14
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We had vandalism to our first Montana. Kids put an ice pick through the sidewall. Good Sam said that is not covered under their contract. I no longer use Good Sam.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:13 PM   #15
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
We had it. Got a flat in the middle of Texas pulled to the side of the road. Temperature was 90 degrees. Called and they said it would be three hours. Pulled the tire myself put the spare on and had it fixed five miles up the road. All done in about two hours. My slide cable broke unfortunately for me I was in a campground so not roadside, though I was stuck until it was fixed,, and they were of no help. Fixed that myself too. Roadside assistance has to many caveats in their favor where they won’t pay or are not timely. Cancelled all “Bad Sam” services. I’ll fix it myself.
tom woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:19 PM   #16
rhager1@verizon.net

M.O.C. #24209
Send a message via AIM to rhager1@verizon.net
I have a 2017 F250 ps had the death wobble. Out of warranty but my dealer had advised that there was a bulletin out on the steering damper. Finally got it to the right dealer and Ford fixed the problem no cost! Just an FYI
rhager1@verizon.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:32 PM   #17
Rjlg
Established Member

M.O.C. #27708
We also HAD good Sam roadside assistance. Had a flat tire on the 5th wheel just north of Daytona pulled over on an exit ramp . When we called & gave them the exit number was told she couldn't send anyone without the GPS coordinates.. After half hour of arguing I fixed it myself and will never use them again.
Rjlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:40 PM   #18
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
For now I only camp locally 50 to 100 miles away from my home and I repair my own vehicle so I want to be towed home. Over the past 8 years I had all 3. I started out with AAA. Had issues with them. Switched to Good Sams and had the same issue you had towing to a different shop. Switch to Coach Net same issues. Besides the long wait times and incompetent customer service They all only tow you to the nearest repair facility which is ok if you are 100"s of miles from home.
Now I am back with AAA Premier + RV. I get 4 tow's a year up to 200 miles each. So I can be towed home or to any place I want with 200 miles.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:25 PM   #19
Billbored
Established Member

M.O.C. #23714
Had one experience. Truck stopped dead in mountains of West By God Virginia. Ona blind curve. No cell service. Passer by went to the mountain top. Called for me. Hour later tow truck came, towed the rig to a pull off near the top. Disconnected and left rig because His wrecker wasn’t capable of towing both down the mountain. Next day Good Sam had a Hugh semi type wrecker there to get the fifth wheel down. IMO you couldn’t ask for better service. Wire had fallen on manifold of truck exhaust and shorted out. Mechanic wanted to charge me a whole 50 cents for the electrical tape it took to cure the problem. He was almost embarrassed to accept the twenty I gave him.
This is a great country made that way by the folks out there who are trying to provide the services we request. Sometimes we’re not the first in line. ��
Billbored is offline   Reply With Quote