Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2021, 09:43 AM   #1
TCmontana
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27810
Wash and waxing suggestions

We purchased our RV last year. A 3931fb, and I like to keep it looking good. What does the group recommend for washing and waxing the unit.

All suggestions welcomed

Thanks

Mark

TCmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I use Turtle Wax wash and wax after every trip. Easy to wash it with a brush and rinse it off. Never did towel dry like the instructions called for. Kept the 5"er looking like new for the first ten years. Got ambitious around that 10 year mark and applied a McGuire's wax. Looked great but since has dulled faster than when using the Turtle Wax. Probably just due to age.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:15 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I added to our seasonal departure checklist to give the cap and front a really good coat of wax to make bug removal easier. Same for the truck.
I used Turtle wax bug and tar remover. Followed by a good wash ( Dawn dish doap). The Nufinish ceramic wax.
So far I have not had any black rubber streaks from the slide wipers.
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:23 PM   #4
Chalkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28678
I use Wash Wax All on both the rig and truck. It was originally made for aircraft. Does a great job and best of all you can use it places that do not allow truck/rig washing.

https://smile.amazon.com/Waterless-O...e%2C238&sr=1-2
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:49 AM   #5
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Blue Beacon Truck Wash... wash and RainX for ~60 dollars truck and RV... did a great job. only negative was the wait... we were 5th in line, took about 2 hours to get into their wash bay, 30 minutes once we got in.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:40 AM   #6
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I'm really into keeping my vehicles clean and have at my house a deionized water tank for spotless drying. My method is I put the slides all out, use a good quality soft bristled extendable brush, and start from the roof and work my way around. I used a good quality automotive soap (Griots). I also clean my wheels & rims inside and out. Following that, I just let the roof dry on its own, and then I go around drying the rest by hand with a soft chamois. I follow-up by using a ceramic spray detailer (Zephyr), and several soft micro fiber towels. If the front cap needs extra detail, I use a Porter Cable variable speed random orbital polisher, with an ultra fine polish by 3M. Then I clean the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1926.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	9212  
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 02:33 PM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I wax my RV once a year using Meguires Cleaner Wax. BTW, Dawn will remove your wax.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:29 PM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
When we purchased our Montana, the dealer applied ResistAll. It's now been more than 2 1/2 years and I've not yet put a spot of wax on the camper anywhere. I wash it with dishwashing liquid soap water. It still has a brilliant shine .... that is, when it's washed and clean!

I did make the mistake of using wax, a lot of it on our Keystone Springdale. It was aluminum sided. Even though the aluminum looked nice, the wax destroyed the graphics. When I finally learned what caused their deterioration, it was way too late. It was a shiny camper with horrid looking graphics.
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:10 AM   #9
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I have my own mix for washing. I combine McGuires Car Wash, Turtle Ice Car Wash, and Baby Shampoo. I mix that solution up and keep it in a separate container just for washing the RV, motorcycle, and truck.

As far as waxing I do that twice a year. Several years ago I hired a detailer to wash/wax my motorhome. He used a certain wax applying it with a buffer and wiping it off with a mircofiber towel. It lasted almost a full year and really looked great. The wax was a local Florida manufactured wax:

Marks Supply, Venice FL

I have used their wax every since.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:59 AM   #10
TWP723
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28111
LA's Totally Awesome works incredible on the dreaded black streaks. Dilute it 50/50.
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:18 AM   #11
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
I have a part time detailing business, ill share what I have to aid in your decision. First, someone mentioned Dawn, and someone said correctly it will remove wax, agree 100% don't use dish soap. Use a good quality automotive soap. I use Chemical Guys auto soap with a foam cannon, works great. As for wax, I use the Marine 31 line. Products made for marine use also work on RV,s and I find they hold up to sitting in the sun better then the auto waxes. I apply Marine 31 sealant glaze twice a year with Flex Random polisher. IT is a more expensive polisher then the Porter Cable, but it is gear driven and not gravity driven, which causes the porter cable to stop if you push to hard. The FLEX is just as safe. Check out autogeek.com Anyways, I do that, and follow up with a good quality spray detailer. My RV is 6 years old, and still shines like it is brand new. If you start to get a little chalk, use the Marine 31 all in 1 cleaner wax, and then follow it with the sealant. Make sure you merry the product with the correct foam pad, as great results are a combination of product and pad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200425_131313_IMG_7363.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	9217  
2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:31 AM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Meguiar says their best and longest lasting was is Ultimate pure Synthetic Wax.
If I was going to all the trouble to was a camper I would look into a do it a yourself ceramic coating. Wax will not last no matter witch one you use. How long a ceramic coating will last I don’t know but it will be longer than wax.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:54 AM   #13
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I'm at the point that I have no idea what will last well. Last fall when I winterized, I did the 3 slides on the driver's side with NuFinish. Four monys later. it looked like it had never been done. Last September I wax using Megure's all of the RH side and back. Not quite as bad as the LH side, but not good. The painted nose cap was done late 2019 with Meguire's and still looks good and stillbeads water well. My guess is that colored Filon just wont keep a good shine while the DuPont ChromaBase and clear coat last. Sounds to me like a good excuse to add the full body option to your next RVs must have list.

About 15 minutes ago,finished a wash with Meguire's Ultimate Wash and Wax and while it doesn't shine like like I like, looks half way decent. I use the same on my 11 year old truck and it does look like new
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:28 PM   #14
FloridaFiver
Established Member

M.O.C. #26158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
I use Wash Wax All on both the rig and truck. It was originally made for aircraft. Does a great job and best of all you can use it places that do not allow truck/rig washing.

https://smile.amazon.com/Waterless-O...e%2C238&sr=1-2
Yeah,
Wash and Wax All is a great system
We can use it in the RV park and It makes our 3120 shine like a diamond
No ladders involved with the telescoping mop head
Love it

We are so glad we paid up and bought that system

Our camper never goes back to our home, so we never get a chance to wash it like most if you might be able to in your driveway

Our rig looks so good, and we figure if we paid someone to detail our rig twice, the cost of that would be more than we paid for the wash and wax all set product and application gear
FloridaFiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:29 PM   #15
strat56

M.O.C. #27567
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
Blue Beacon Truck Wash... wash and RainX for ~60 dollars truck and RV... did a great job. only negative was the wait... we were 5th in line, took about 2 hours to get into their wash bay, 30 minutes once we got in.
+1 here, although l had my truck and RV done yesterday and it was $90 but I think I asked for something extra that I never got before, undercarrige wash.

I was second in line and it was pretty quick.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 01:32 PM   #16
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Like many, I use the Nu Finish. They call it a polish because legally they can’t call it a wax. Its a polymer product and works great, except you should not use it on your decal graphics unless it is painted. I use a marine polish on the fiberglass, then hit it with Nu Finish, avoiding the decal. I use an auto polish on the painted front cap, then Nu Finish. I like the Nu Finish because it does last longer than a wax. Wax only lasts a few weeks. I use Meguire’s auto wash and wax in between twice a year polishing and Nu Finish. I use a porter cable professional polisher which makes it easier and faster. Once you do your polish and wax job avoid using dish soap as it strips any wax.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 04:19 PM   #17
jaidinger
Established Member

M.O.C. #21840
If you can afford it, have it professionally cleaned
jaidinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 06:28 PM   #18
Professor Steve
Established Member

M.O.C. #22062
Prod

Totally agree with the post leaving it to the pros if you can swing it. I used to do the cleaning myself and spent more time on the roof than I care to remember.
Local guys have a great ceramic seal that serves us well. Our 2018 looks new. Been there done that with the faded front cap.
Professor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:12 AM   #19
KevinMcGrath

M.O.C. #28807
Wash and waxing suggestions

Hello, I also absolutely agree that it is better to entrust the work to professionals. I used to do it myself and my wife, but then when we had more money, we started giving our beauty to other people who know how to do it. We no longer have any problems.
KevinMcGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:33 AM   #20
Mroe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23577
We had ours ceramic coated. I'm sure there our dealers in your town. To keep clean, you just use they maintenance spray on a rag and wipe the RV clean, mud and all. It does not scratch the finish. Had my truck done as well. I just love it. Here in Phoenix we used Bob Moses Ceramic coating business. I would use a company that uses the same product as his. He uses Sensha shine.
Mroe is offline   Reply With Quote