Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #21
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
On our fourth Montana. Six years fulltiming, and if our park survives the storm, will be in Florida 1 November starting our eleventh six month snowbird season. Never had a warranty issue that was not satisfactorily handled by dealer/Keystone.

F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 09:56 PM   #22
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
Thanks to all for weighing in on my post. The bottom line is many of you agree that most, if not all, RV's are going to have issues in some form or another. My experience with the Alpine I just sold is the same. I had several minor issues over the three years I had it, which is to be expected as most of you have said. It just seemed that the Montana was especially hit hard by other sites and reviews so I decided to ask the experts who actually own these units. By the way, maybe I didn't word it clearly but I wasn't referring to this forum as having trolls with negative intentions. I was referring to the many other sites i researched. That's why I came here for clarification. Thank you for that. Right now my plan is to purchase a 3791RD next season - perhaps a 2019 in April.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #23
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
My 2016 Montana is the Worst thing I have ever bought in my 68 years. Their Warranty Service is non existant, they give customers no priority and parts take months if they are specific to your model. Mine is now only 14 months old and already calking is peeling off. Try Winnebago or some non Thor company.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #24
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswbarton View Post
My 2016 Montana is the Worst thing I have ever bought in my 68 years. Their Warranty Service is non existant, they give customers no priority and parts take months if they are specific to your model. Mine is now only 14 months old and already calking is peeling off. Try Winnebago or some non Thor company.
My 2015 Montana 3790 RD is the worst trailer I have ever owned.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #25
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Our 2015 3790RD has been great, few little problems but we were living in it 10 months straight last year bouncing around North America as I retired leaving me time to do so. Love the layout, love the storage, easy to tow and quite frankly way nicer finish's than much more expensive trailers. We spent the whole day at the Tampa RV show last winter looking at all the makes & models of 5ers and quite frankly we wouldn't trade ours for any of the others except maybe the small toy hauler Solitude/Momentum. I'm told Montana might be coming out with one, the High Country Montana has one now but the finish's are not great and there is no hydraulic level up etc etc.... Overall this trailer is light years ahead of the Crossroads we had and we didnt pay much more for this one..... If you want to go spend another 50 grand on a Mo bile Suites to have (the best service & quality) go ahead. That is a whole lot of repairs in my view and regardless the Mobile Suites etc will need regular maintenance and minor repairs so ...................
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #26
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Our 2017 is our 5th Montana and we are very happy Montana owners once again.

Yes we have had A few problems over the years but really our dealer has really softened the blow with their exceptional service.

Our last unit had "three" cooling unit failures but really the Dometic fridge was the same unit used in $200,000. Plus motorhomes so It's hard to fault Keystone for that.

With our current unit ( residential fridge ) our main problem has been the Quiet Cool air conditioning system. Once we opened up the intake vents with 1.5 inch pic pipe we are good to go. Sure we could sit on the sidelines and bash Keystone for this but we would rather take the bull by the horns, fix the problem, accept the rv industry (all makes) for what they are and get on with enjoying the rv lifestyle.

While working with our dealer and then working with Keystone to resolve our problems we really have no complaints.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #27
BrightonBob
Established Member

M.O.C. #19059
I can only speak for myself, but other than self-inflicted problems, we have zero complaints. Our unit has been free of problems and our dealer is first class. Having bought from them before, we knew that before this purchase. Our Montana being our third fiver, I know some units have problems, but a reliable dealer is your best insurance. Hoping my luck holds here.

2014 Montana 3582RL
2008 Dodge RAM 3500 Dually 6.7L Diesel
BrightonBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #28
Good Life
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19869
Run Forest Run!!!
If you decide to buy a Keystone Product you can start a thred--- Welcome to the "New" Montana Owner Normal Problems, No Quality Control, No Pride, Don't Give A Ship! I have owned 5 rv's, 1-BP Rolls International, 1 Jayco 5r, 1-Coachman,2 Keystone Montanas, I have never seen such shotty workmanship as I have with my 2016 3721RL! Sad!
2016 3721RL
Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #29
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Life View Post
Run Forest Run!!!
If you decide to buy a Keystone Product you can start a thred--- Welcome to the "New" Montana Owner Normal Problems, No Quality Control, No Pride, Don't Give A Ship! I have owned 5 rv's, 1-BP Rolls International, 1 Jayco 5r, 1-Coachman,2 Keystone Montanas, I have never seen such shotty workmanship as I have with my 2016 3721RL! Sad!
Yet we also have a 3721 that is a 2017 model and we have zero complaints with the workmanship and this is our 5th Montana so we have lots to compare it to.

We also have 5 other Montana's in our summer seasonal park and all of us are very happy with our units overall.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:35 PM   #30
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Our dealer has been great Layzee Acres in Orillia Ontario Canada, they just repaired the rear den slide gearbox & motor and a cable. The gearbox was toast but they replaced the whole unit with an upgraded high torque unit. When shingles blew off the roof of my shop onto the side of the Montana they assisted me in ordering new decals & also priced out difference in painting vs new panels for those damaged. They then did all the work when the parts and decals came in and gave us a break on labour and the parts at their cost. The slide motor/gear box and labour cost me $56 with tax. Other than that no issues except the occasional trip of the CB for the hydraulic pump which I will fix tomorrow by changing to an 80amp CB... Love the model and given I've put several thousand miles on it and lived in it for almost 10 months straight last year I can't honestly complain about anything other than the E rated tires that the 2015's had on them which are now G rated. It cost me $800 for the tires to be upgraded, then I sold the E rated for $400 and given I paid under $70,000 for it in 2015 I believe it is good value. Compared to the piece of crap Crossroads we had this is light years above and ahead.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #31
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
Our '14 Montana has been towed roughly 40,000 miles, multiple coast to coast trips and we are on the road about 6 months of the year. We had 2 warranty repairs done at CW (did not buy it there). The sliding closet doors in bedroom had hardware replaced and still broke so made my own and its still holding together. Had two recliners replaced due to torn upholstry, not during manufacture. Replaced a bi-metal breaker; replaced a black tank valve; replaced the igniter in furnace; replaced the GY Marathons at 30,000 miles. The roll-around cabinent has been rebuilt; new floor and shelf and heavier casters. Keystone has upgraded the closet door hardware so that may no longer be a problem. The breaker was too small for the load and is a known issue easily repaired w/ a heavier one. Most everything else is just maintenence items, so we are very happy with this one.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:29 PM   #32
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Have to agree ~~ the dealer makes the difference. Some do not want the warranty work and if not written accurately a claim will be denied. Now they fix the claim they had denied on your dime at full price. The AC duct problem is a Montana (and every other builder) problem. Nearly every other AC problem is the problem of the supplier. Same with refers, furnaces, and other supplied and installed items. In my HC ~~so far~~ the problems have been minor. The new roller shades are junk compared to the MCD supplied in 2016. Builder ~~ well the guy installing trim should be cleaning toilets and not near any unit! He has no clue on using a nail gun. Although I'm sure his IQ is above 1 I'm just as certain it is below 10. Very happy so far, I'll let you know in March after 4 - 5 months in it and a few thousand more miles.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #33
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
I had learned to live with the loss of fresh water while traveling, I know that the RV fridge problems are not a Keystone problem and I had put spring clips on the fender screws to keep them tight. The wood decorative trim above one couch fell off and I put it back on. There was way too much dust coming in (slide out seals?), decals peeling off, the aluminum siding below the rear storage compartments sagging and buckling as they were coming loose. The rear wall came loose on both sides (pulled away from the side walls by an inch) and all along the bottom which we had to pay to get it fixed. Now if you refer back to the long 21 or 22 page post another member had with his trailer, caulking was now separating there like his was. There were numerous smaller items that needed fixing like any other trailer. The problems with the rear wall happened this year and of course no warranty as it was a 2015 model.

We fixed this trailer by getting rid of it and buying a different SOB, so now someone else can have the problems.

So far after a month of use, no fender screws coming loose, no dust, leave with a full tank of fresh water and arrive with a full tank. No cabinet doors opening while traveling. So far in our opinion a much better quality trailer.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:56 PM   #34
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pachu View Post
I had learned to live with the loss of fresh water while traveling, I know that the RV fridge problems are not a Keystone problem and I had put spring clips on the fender screws to keep them tight. The wood decorative trim above one couch fell off and I put it back on. There was way too much dust coming in (slide out seals?), decals peeling off, the aluminum siding below the rear storage compartments sagging and buckling as they were coming loose. The rear wall came loose on both sides (pulled away from the side walls by an inch) and all along the bottom which we had to pay to get it fixed. Now if you refer back to the long 21 or 22 page post another member had with his trailer, caulking was now separating there like his was. There were numerous smaller items that needed fixing like any other trailer. The problems with the rear wall happened this year and of course no warranty as it was a 2015 model.

We fixed this trailer by getting rid of it and buying a different SOB, so now someone else can have the problems.

So far after a month of use, no fender screws coming loose, no dust, leave with a full tank of fresh water and arrive with a full tank. No cabinet doors opening while traveling. So far in our opinion a much better quality trailer.
But not this bad ~~ right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00FBEEBF-F9FD-4147-A3B5-243778ECB675_zpsqu9f9d4s[1].jpg
Views:	30
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	570  
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:05 AM   #35
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Fender screws are an inherent issue with just about every builder, I know several Big Horn & Solitude owners that lost theirs on the way home from the dealers after picking up their new units. Dealers that are on the ball started installing backers on the screws that hold the fenders on prior to releasing to customer, other dealers sent an email suggesting they be checked with suggestions on a fix. I used silicone on ours immediately upon picking it up prior to leaving the dealer as the Crossroads unit we had lost two on the maiden voyage. Trim is also an inherent issue on all builders, these things go down the road at 60 - 70 mph, the sun is beating on them and they get hot inside as many people are too cheap to put on some Max Air covers so they can leave vents open. Heat and glue are not a good mix and thus the trim starts falling off as it rumbles down the road. Touch wood no issues with our fridge at all, my buddy is still struggling with his fridge in his Big Horn 2yrs in... the sides are delaminating on the Heartland for the second time, a friends Cedar Creek has been in for frame repairs twice, same fridge issues, same fender issues so quite frankly most have issues. Wish manufacturers would slow it down and build them right even if it costs another grand but alas until someone comes along to change the landscape in regard to quality as the cars from Japan did in the Auto industry we are not likely to see such.

Dealers are the key, good dealers who look after their customers stay in business and gain a name for themselves, most that do it right end up selling customers 2 - 5 rv's over the years.

The cheapest price isn't always the best deal !
Old 09-11-2017, 07:36 AM   #36
Good Life
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19869
Run Forest Run

Owners wonder why there ac's don't cool , besides return ducts being collapsed and saw dust and pieces of wood chips in ducting, take time to get on top of your unit to remove the AC cover and peek in, this is laying in your return plenum !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1871.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	575   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1873.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	576   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1875.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1881.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	578  
Good Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #37
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
But not this bad ~~ right?
Not that bad. The curb side was loose a third of the way up the side, all along the bottom and 18 inches up on the street side. If we didn't catch it in time it probably would have been like the picture.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:39 PM   #38
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
Love the floor plan, hate the issues and the way Keystone has addressed them thus far when dealing with my dealer (Camping World). I can personally say my new Jayco 2011 Signature Series camper had zero issues from day one till 4 years later when sold. I hear there are possibly similar Montana owner experiences. I actually have a lemon law suit active in an attempt to get Camping World to buy mine back, not sure I will return to Montana if they do and will visit many forums before my next purchase.
2017 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L PS 4:10's
Monett, MO
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:56 PM   #39
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Yes, we've had some issues with ours, but its a heck of a lot better than our Forest River. We did a real PDI and caught 13 issues, and refused to accept sign the delivery docs until the most serious ones were fixed. Bottom line is they all have problems. Our build quality is better. FR was actually willing to take it back to the factory; I can't imagine KS doing the same.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #40
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
We are very happy with our 3160 and have had no real issues only a couple of minor ones.
-Wavy mirror in bathroom
-Central vac bag not connected

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote