Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2006, 10:31 AM   #41
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sixcampers.Do I understand this correctly...the ant issue is a issue with your dealer. The MAJOR issue right now is a water leak that cannot be found and it can be assumed that the mold issue is related to the water leak.You want to do a high pressure water test to find the leak..Keystone says they will not pay for that. In My opinion if it is the kind of high pressure water test I am familiar with, water directed at any camper at that pressure would leak in a dozen places, might even blow out a window or two.I think what I read in your post is that if it leaks AGAIN they will correct the problem. It may be one of those "if it isn't broke we can't fix it" issues.Now I do not understand keystones response to your problem. It is completely out of character for them . What I might do ,even tho I am not a happy camper, would be to wait till it does leak again, call Mr Crouch, say OK the camper is full of water..where do I take it what do I do. Did your dealer refuse to repair the mold problem? you would think that in repairing the mold problem they might find the source of the leak????

This does not make me feel good about the Montana I have on order..I have always felt that Keystone would take care of problems not turn me away..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:07 AM   #42
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
Right the ants, the mice, the screws thru the wall, the blue streaks on my celing those issues are all with my dealer.

The issue I am having with Keystone is that they are not willing to do anything else to find and repair the leak. I am supposed to wait until my camper is full of water AGAIN and then send it back in yet AGAIN for the third time so they can repair the damage AGAIN and this time hope that they find the leak. For petes sake how many times do I have to be without a camper that I am making payments on before they get it right?

The mold issue is this - due to the leak I have had water in my camper off and on now for months. I decided that I should have the unit looked at for mold because I have a 5 yr old son who has asthma triggered by mold. Mold is not healthy for anyone but it is especially bad for those who have asthma and to make it worse my son is allergic to mold. I had a company come in and test for mold and they found mold in the camper. Mold was found in the heat vent near the bed in the master bedroom - where the water is being found.

You asked if they repaired the mold problem. First Crouch told me they cleaned the mold - then he told me they did not find mold. When I questioned him on this discrepency he said "I never said they cleaned the mold. I never said there was any mold" So I guess no they did not clean the mold.

They keep telling me they found no leaks - they found no leaks - they found no leaks. It is obviously leaking or it would not have water damage and would not have been in twice for the puddles of water that sit in my camper. If suncoast can not find the leak then they should send it somewhere else or take it back to the factory and give me another unit.

At this point I think I deserve a camper that I can USE. I paid a lot of money for this camper. If they are so confident that there are no leaks then let them have the dam camper. They can turn around and sell it themselves because I can not do that honestly.

I just want a camper that is not in the shop all the time. I want to be able to plan vacations for my family without having to cancel them because my camper is in the shop again. Having to bring it in every time it rains is not my idea of fun.

Montana_2913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:32 AM   #43
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Sixcampers.Do I understand this correctly...the ant issue is a issue with your dealer. The MAJOR issue right now is a water leak that cannot be found and it can be assumed that the mold issue is related to the water leak.You want to do a high pressure water test to find the leak..Keystone says they will not pay for that. In My opinion if it is the kind of high pressure water test I am familiar with, water directed at any camper at that pressure would leak in a dozen places, might even blow out a window or two.I think what I read in your post is that if it leaks AGAIN they will correct the problem.
I meant to reply to this as well....I am not sure what kind of high pressure test it is but I know that there is some kind of seal test or high pressure test that can be done to detect leaks in campers. I have a friend who had a camper - not a Keystone - that had a water leak. They brought it back and forth to the dealer for months. The dealer or should I say service dept sprayed water on it with a hose numerous times without being able to find the leak. They ended up bringing the unit into another service dept that was equipped with this water test and they were able to find the leak and repair it.

I was hoping that Keystone would authorize us to bring it to another service dept that would be better equipped to find the leak. What they want me to do is wait for it to leak again before paying for that to be done. Why should I have to wait? They know there is a leak, they have been unable to find the leak, therefore it would stand to reason that it will leak again.

If in fact they are unable to find the leak after this test then what? Keep repairing the damage? That is not good enough. I feel like Keystone should do everything in their power to find that leak and fix it. If they have been unable to detect the leak then they should replace my camper or reimburse me my money. Is that unreasonable? Why should I have to keep bringing it back and forth and be without my camper with no reimbursement for the time we have been unable to use it? At what point is it enough?

My frustration has turned to anger and I hate feeling this way
Old 03-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #44
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
TRADE IT WHILE YOU CAN. It definitely bother me that Keystone or Crouch is taking this position. If you will PM me i will give you Aram's cell phone number he was more than Happy to help me with my problem even though I was out of warranty, maybe he should be your next call. Aram took Jeff Ranks place I think is what he told me, but anyway he pulled the weight to get it done.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:34 PM   #45
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Have you tried calling Customer Service and ask to talk to Lon Nelson? I've seen them do leak tests on slideouts and made the repairs. A lot of dealers won't do anything but I do know that when you approach Keystone courteously (no display of anger), they have bent over backwards for me and my unit was well past the warranty period.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:49 PM   #46
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Have you tried calling Customer Service and ask to talk to Lon Nelson? I've seen them do leak tests on slideouts and made the repairs. A lot of dealers won't do anything but I do know that when you approach Keystone courteously (no display of anger), they have bent over backwards for me and my unit was well past the warranty period.

Orv
Yes I tried calling Lon Nelson today and was informed that he no longer works there
I am not saying that you are suggesting that I have called Keystone and yelled and screamed - although I may have wanted to - I do want you to know I have tried to be reasonable and have spoken to them very politely. I know that calling them and being upset and angry would not get me very far. The only time I have spoken angrily would have been to Craig Crouch and that was only after he started giving me the run around and lying.
We are business owners ourselves and I know that being polite will certainly get you much further than yelling and screaming.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:01 PM   #47
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854

Sounds like you have a "lemon law" case on your hands - have you researched that route?
houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #48
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
For what its worth, I believe people ought to be able to be "REAL" in their communications!

There's a time to laugh, and a time to cry. And there's a time to get in the face of those who refuse to listen or otherwise act appropriately! Why must we always remain cool and calm in hopes of pleasing those who wish to otherwise disregard their responsibilities?

Since I don't know all the specifics, I'm not accusing Keystone of wrongdoing, I'm simply saying that emotions are part of life! Keystone should know that, and certainly should not withhold doing the right thing until we agree to bow down, kiss their foot, and speak softly. They should do the right thing regardless of how they are asked!!!
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:25 PM   #49
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rickfox

For what its worth, I believe people ought to be able to be "REAL" in their communications!

There's a time to laugh, and a time to cry. And there's a time to get in the face of those who refuse to listen or otherwise act appropriately!
GOOD!!! Can I yell now? Please? lol
Old 03-17-2006, 02:27 PM   #50
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by houseof many dogs

Sounds like you have a "lemon law" case on your hands - have you researched that route?
No I am on the pc right now trying to find info on that here in FL. I was not even sure if there was a lemon law that applied to campers. Does anyone know if there is?
Old 03-18-2006, 01:10 AM   #51
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I can not believe that a problem has been acknowledged by Keystone, they will repair any damage, but will not try to alleviate the problem before anymore damage is caused to this unit. This is definitely a case for an attorney. The customer should not have to deal with this kind of service under warranty, lemon law or not.

This does not reflect well on Keystone or the Dealer to leave someone on their own. This forum is for Montana owners, but the word will get out about this kind of treatment and will definitely hurt their business. Makes you leery to take possession of your new unit if it is on order, it would me.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:15 AM   #52
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
There is a lot of people monitoring this thread. I believe something positive will happen soon. Some (most) can't afford the bad publicity on this forum. Whether they they think someone's right or wrong, it will come down - as it always does - to a bottom line money issue. No smart dealer/mfr would let this go too long.

This incident, regardless of who's right, has turned several hundred people off to this dealer, or at the very least, given them hestitation. If they think they are saving money by their approach to these problems, I think that would be a fatal miscalculation.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 04:16 AM   #53
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I know that my dealer will do all he can to satisfy his customers..however..If Keystone will not pay the dealer for Warranty repairs the dealer will not be able to satisfy me.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #54
Bill and Bobbi
Established Member

M.O.C. #5292
Our 3400rl was ordered thru this dealer (Suncoast RV) because they were the ones at the Tampa show and had the best "deal" because of the show and the factory kicked in the shipping cost. They called Friday and our unit is in and we are to pick it up next Saturday. This discussion thread has me a bit apprehensive to say the least. There is another dealer in my area that does Keystone warranty work so I hope I don't have a problem using them instead of Suncoast if need be. I've heard that some dealers don't like to do your warranty work if you didn't buy from them. I'd hate to think I made a mistake getting my Montana from this dealer just to save money up front only to suffer the same fate as sixcampers has. Anyone had problems getting warranty work from dealers other than who they bought from?
Bill and Bobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #55
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
If you bought from the Suncoast Rv In Winter Garden I would be worried. That service dept is a joke. If you are local to Clermont there is Flagship RV on Rt 27. We have heard only positive things about their service dept. They will service Keystone campers.
I went in there just this week and priced another 5ver. They are crazy with their prices though. They would not budge at all. I thought maybe we could trade our leaky camper in for another nonleaky one but the price was way out of my league.
We too got a good deal at Suncoast. I hope you do not have the same issues as we did. My neighbor just bought a Montana and has his serviced there so far no problems.
Good luck and Congrats on the new camper
Old 03-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #56
Bill and Bobbi
Established Member

M.O.C. #5292
We are buying from Suncoast in Winter Garden. I really wanted to buy from Tri-am in Marion County but the prices were like 8k more for a unit with less options. We had bought from Tri-Am in the past and had good service. I hope to use them for warranty and non warranty service. Suncoast and Flagship have several dealerships. Funny how it goes,we had a less than positive experience with Flagship with our first 5er several years ago (Ocala store). I hope Keystone comes through for you. Good luck.
Bill and Bobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #57
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
Thanks and good luck to you with your new Montana!!!
Was your less than positive experience with Flagship related to the service dept?
Since you live in the same area I will be looking for a nice shinny new Montana rolling down the road next to me
Old 03-19-2006, 07:07 AM   #58
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
This whole thread is absolutely AMAZING to me!
I have spent many months reading this forum and changed my mind about which RV to buy based, primarily, on the great reputation everyone said Keystone had for SERVICE, above and beyond the call of normal.
I was looking at Americana 5rs before this and quit looking because their user forum (such as it is) constantly posted service issues with dealers.
I'm SICK at the thought that I may have to abandon the Montana line also, if this service thing with dealers is prevalent.
Now I'm depressed. Sorry if this post is a downer, but I'm down.
I hope to hear some good news about this problem soon.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:01 AM   #59
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I would go to the top as Margee and Doug suggested. I understand your frustrations. There are independent service contractors out there who can service Keystone products. Have you called around to check or asked someone for a recommendation in your area? If you find someone who is recommended tell Keystone you want them to do your warranty/servce work. Don't settle for the type of service work you have received so far. You already made more calls than I would have. If after 2 calls I did not get satisfaction I would have gone straight to the top. I have used this method before and it works.

I am also surprised about this as Keystone has always stepped up to the plate before. I would bypass anyone who was not responding to your problem in a reasonable manner.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:18 AM   #60
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by toolmanroy

I would go to the top as Margee and Doug suggested. I understand your frustrations. There are independent service contractors out there who can service Keystone products. Have you called around to check or asked someone for a recommendation in your area? If you find someone who is recommended tell Keystone you want them to do your warranty/servce work. Don't settle for the type of service work you have received so far.
I have already asked Keystone to okay the work to be done at another service dept. They advised me to take it back to Suncoast because that is where the original warranty work was done on this leak problem. Since Suncoast was unable to find the leak I asked Keystone to please send my unit to another service dealer to find the leak and they are refusing.
I have been given another name and number of someone else to call at Keystone. I will be calling him tomorrow. I will let you all know how it goes. If I keep complaining maybe someone will listen. I am giving this until the end of the week and then it will be time for legal action