Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2006, 06:29 AM   #1
Montana_1876
Established Member

M.O.C. #1876
Decals starting to peel off

we left Watertown, NY December 18th after quite bit of snow had fallen and of course the streets sanded/salted...when we got to south carolina we went thru a truck wash with the 5thwheel and truck. now we are in mission, Texas and we notice that the Montana decals are startig to come away from the RV....does anyone have any suggestions as to the best type of glue/??? to use so we can secure them......thanks for any help. John Deveau

Montana_1876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
John,
I had used a tiny bit of super glue on the corners where I had two decals peeling. Have not had any trouble with them since, I am not sure what year your coach is so if it is under warranty you could go to a Montana dealership and have the apply new graphics/decals.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 07:07 AM   #3
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Mines been parked all winter under RV Port, noticed this morning that the nose cap decals were peeling. I wax my unit with hand wax twice a year and the nose cap about two to three more times per year just to make bugs easier to come off. Anyway I noticed them peeling today so I go tout my ladder to take a look. Appears that the nose cap decal has shrunk up about 1/8" all the way around and where it has the decals are peeling and edges are rolling up. I know that they have shrunk because you can see all the way around them about 1/8" where the adhesive was from the back of decal. My unit is 2005 out of warranty not sure how to fix the problem, using super glue on edges is not an options due to the entire decal Montana and mountain scene are doing same thing.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 10:30 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You know with all the reports of decals peeling off on this forum you wonder how large the problem is among all the Montana's out there and It makes me wonder if I should tell them not to put the decals on.Seems it might save me time and money later. Hummm a plain white wrapper..interesting idea????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 12:05 PM   #5
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We have a 2001 and it is doing the same thing. Asked the dealer @ cost and he said he thought around $150.00 plus labor to install. Looks like Keystone need to step up to the plate. Been thinking about taking them off.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 02:44 AM   #6
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Ours were peeling so bad we had to remove it on the nose cap. Some of the ones on the road side came off too. If I was ordering one I would delete them and get someone to paint a nice graphic on the front. The problem with taking them off later on is they leave outlines where they were. It won't buff out and to paint something now would look terrible. Only option would be to paint the whole cap first and then the graphics.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 03:26 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We will be at the Toledo RV show in Feb and have added to my "question" list for the Montana Rep//What's the deal with the peeling graphics, What's the credit for no graphics or are there any other options... Think I will E mail Mark Kroll, District sales manager and put that question to him.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:48 AM   #8
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Rich, please let us know what you find out. We had the problem with an Alfa and were told by the dealer it would be "$800 to $1,000" to replace them. Apparently it's a pretty labor-intensive job. I had no idea the problem was this widespread. Very disturbing.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:19 PM   #9
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
I will probably get some MOC members teed off at this but I actually took some of the decals off when I bought my 2005. As I did this when it was new there were no marks left behind. I probably removed at least 50% of the decals. It is still a Monty and you can see that but in my mind there were just too many decals to start with. Way too 'busy' and the problem with the shrinkage around the edges.
Easy to get decals off the sides by using a hair dryer. Just heat and pull off. The decals on the nose were more difficult, had to scrape them, then clean with lacquer thinner. A good buff after with wax and you can't tell the difference.
I don't know how to post pictures but if any want to see the before and after you can e-mail me.
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:14 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobgay

Rich, please let us know what you find out. We had the problem with an Alfa and were told by the dealer it would be "$800 to $1,000" to replace them. Apparently it's a pretty labor-intensive job. I had no idea the problem was this widespread. Very disturbing.
Wish I could figure out how to attach a E mail to this reply..Got a return E mail from Mark Krol, keystone rep. First he is running a check on the Warranty records to see how widespread the issue is.He only recalled one problem. next he said it is NOT a good idea to order a Montana without the graphics as it would lower the resale value down the road ( what does one with peeling graphics do to the resale value??) More importantly there is a new vendor for the Graphics..Burlington Graphics replaces Barth and Associates. Will try to figure out how to attach E mail.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:39 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rich
I just copy the text and paste in my message. You may have to do some editing (carriage return marks).
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #12
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Rich, thanks for the info. Doesn't sound very comforting, does it.
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:32 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John T. Deveau, we also are in Mission. There are many MOC'ers here in the Valley right now. This Thursday, 1:30, we're having a potluck lunch at the Clubhouse at Bentsen Palm Village RV Park, 2500 S. Bentsen Palm Dr., just north of the State Park and birding center.

Hope you can join us. I think CountryGuy put this together so she could answer any questions you have. Or post here.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:42 PM   #14
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Rich, what ias the email for Mark or whom ever took Jeff Ranks place, i want to send them pictures of my decals peeling.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:32 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Mark Krol is a District sales manager for Montana and Mounaineer NOT the person who replaced Jeff Rank but I am sure he will want to see the pictures.. His e mail is krolm@keystonerv.com

I would like to see the pictures...
Old 01-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #16
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I'm not surprised there are not many peeling grapics in the warranty records as the problem doesn't seem to rear it's ugly head till the units are about 18 months to two years old
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:04 AM   #17
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
For those peeling decals.....try putting caulk on the backside of the decal. It worked for me.
Good luck!

Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:02 AM   #18
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
We have not had our Monty that long (since September), however this peeling of the decals is not just a Monty problem. We had the same problem withour previous 5th wheel (Wildcat by Forest River). They replaced our decal on the front. When we traded for the Monty the decal was starting to peel up on the driver side. It was 3 1/2 years old. My conclusion was that the Wildcat, while parked in storage. was headed west. That meant that the driver side and front end were always taking the brunt of the Florida Sunshine. Florida Sunshine is GREAT, but awful hard on anything that sits out in it all the time. This includes people (skin cancer). LOL
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:08 AM   #19
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
emailed Montana factory twice know about this issue yet to hear from anyone.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:24 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Broome101

emailed Montana factory twice know about this issue yet to hear from anyone.
And I doubt if you ever will. I have NEVER had a reply to ANY E mail to Montana..Find a phone number..give a call.