Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2022, 06:51 PM   #21
Dee_Dub
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24453
Personally I would set the gain at its lowest point and perform a test from there. My trailer has electric brakes and I have to set the gain at 7. I recently pulled a friends trailer (SOB) that has hydraulic brakes and I had to set my gain to 1 with his trailer. ymmv

Old 04-24-2022, 07:09 PM   #22
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
New?

Did the dealer install the disk brakes? If so it's probably just the pads burning the glaze off.

If it was towed from the factory the brakes should be well broken in.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:33 AM   #23
USA-C2C
Established Member

M.O.C. #30407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richcart View Post
We have a 2017 F350 and our Montana has hydraulic breaks. The electric over hydraulic is correct and I keep my gain set at 6. At that setting I can feel the trailer stopping but it is not enough to stop the truck. I can increase the gain and actually bring the truck to a stop. I have not had an issue with burnt smell even towing in the Rocky Mountains. I haven't experienced any issues during regen so maybe the DEF?
Good input. I have been tweaking the gain setting and using the slide bar to try and find the optimal setting. Right now I have settled in on 6 - 6.5 being the range - anything higher tends to lockup of the brakes.
USA-C2C is offline   Reply With Quote