Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2017, 06:02 PM   #21
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I am reasonably certain that most of us here started in tents and moved up from there. Some to pop ups then to travel trailers and eventually to a fifth wheel. We all learned lessons along the way with each change to something bigger and better.

You however are starting at the top with zero experience towing anything. I commend you for that. Just take it slow and easy, the rest will come it time (hopefully without too many mishaps)

I think I can say that all of us here are more than willing to help you in any way we can.

beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:18 PM   #22
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
This may sound silly but...if you have time to kill, go to a truck stop and watch the truckers pull in or out. Notice how wide they make their turns. Watch them back their rigs in those tight spots. Notice which way their front wheels turn and which way the trailer moves as they back up. Pay attention to their truck stop etiquette (pulling forward after fueling).
They are maneuvering much longer tractor/trailer rigs than you will have. If they can do it, so can you.
This isn't silly at all. It gives you a visual perspective from outside the drivers seat.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:28 PM   #23
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred715 View Post
Before leaving campground do a walk around, looking for TV antennae being up, all doors closed and locked, slides in, steps folded back up , hose all undone and put away, power cord detached and put away and make sure your lights and turn signals are working. Have fun and good luck.
That lends itself to making a checklist. You can then do the tasks repetitively and they become second nature. I would add... don't let yourself get distracted from the process of setting up and breaking down camp. Well intentioned people sometimes strike up a friendly conversation and you lose track of where you are in the process. More than one person here has forgotten something as a result and damage to their RV or truck has occurred.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:48 PM   #24
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Quote:
I'm sure that most of you survived. What suggestions and advice do you have for thie newbie towing couple????
Some very good suggestions. Note especially:

Quote:
-Make wide turns. You do not want the trailer wheels going over or into curbs etc. This will damage the axles.
-If a gas station does not look large enough, do not pull into it. You may have a hell of a time getting back out. Also make sure the canopy is high enough.
-Leave as much room in front of you as possible. You will not be able to stop on a dime (trust me).
Quote:
The biggest problem I had was cornering. It took me a full year before I stopped running over curbs on corners - and my rig was just 34 feet long. After 10 years or so I figured out to always take whatever is available on corners
At first MAKE yourself think that you are DRIVING a 50+ foot long, 13+ foot high vehicle. In other words, you are NOT driving a pickup truck--that's just the engine. You are driving the whole rig. As you get experience you will feel this instinctively as you make turns, slow down, go down steep hills, pull into stations; but at first you will have to make a conscious effort to think like this.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #25
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
I'm was in the same situation you're in bought 5th wheel had no idea what I was doing (wife still thinks I don't) any way everything stated above I agree with be careful and have fun. one thing I would add is to make sure your are hitch up properly not high hitched or thinking your king pin is locked in, take the extra 10 second to look at the jaws and make sure its all looking right. have seen quite a few rigs on the road with collapsed bed rails indicating the trailer came unhitched. familiarity can breed complacency.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:06 PM   #26
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORattler View Post
...That lends itself to making a checklist...
For sure...I use a 3 x 5 card.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:45 PM   #27
SRD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #722
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORattler View Post
That lends itself to making a checklist. You can then do the tasks repetitively and they become second nature. I would add... don't let yourself get distracted from the process of setting up and breaking down camp. Well intentioned people sometimes strike up a friendly conversation and you lose track of where you are in the process. More than one person here has forgotten something as a result and damage to their RV or truck has occurred.
X2. I try not to talk to anyone when hooking up. It's easy to get distracted and miss a step (which would not be good when you're hooking up).

Good luck, you're going to enjoy it
Steve
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I highly recommend taking a professional course given by professional instructors in terms of learning how to tow the right way.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #29
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
X2. I try not to talk to anyone when hooking up. It's easy to get distracted and miss a step (which would not be good when you're hooking up).

Good luck, you're going to enjoy it
Steve
Two things I learned attending Army helicopter flight training...always use a check list and if ever interrupted start over at the beginning.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:36 AM   #30
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
I agree with taking a professional course.

I have a few suggestions for things that work for us.

1. Make lists - I have several. One if for stuff to do on hitching up, inside and outside. Things like gather up loose articles, tie chairs down, lock shower door, etc. I also have a list of stuff to bring on each trip, one for regular trailer stock (especially pantry items) that might need to be re-stocked from, and items kept in the basement storage in case they get removed and need to be put back.

2. Store stuff in bins - this makes it easier to find stuff and it keeps things from getting messed up while in transit.

3. When you back into a new campsite, look up as well as everywhere else. Can you hit a tree branch? Also, before you unhook, make sure there is enough space to put out your slides. Is the power and water pole in the way?

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #31
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Look up especially, I just backed into a new extended parking spot last night - spotters & I forgot the "Up There" and we removed an old phone line.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:56 AM   #32
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I bought mine in southern alabama and then towed for very first time up to Atlanta Georgia using roads that weren't busy as freeways so that I could drive at 50 to 60 mph and not fell pressured to drive faster. It was a great way to learn how to tow. Also drive a f350 dually and wouldn't be without it.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #33
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Did anyone mention to get Sailun or Goodyear 14 ply tires on 5er?
I will be changing my real soon
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:24 PM   #34
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Yes I recommended the goodyears or sailuns in post #13
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:40 PM   #35
catskiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9253
If buying a new truck it may be easier to have them install a exhaust brake,tow mirrors,tire pressure&temp. Monitor, tow pkg. And or camper pkg. ,trailer brake,hitch puck system and maybe a larger fuel tank or storage box combo!
catskiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #36
Geostef
Established Member

M.O.C. #19649
Interesting that people mention going to a driving school to become familiar with pulling a 5th wheel. I scoured the internet looking for someone who did that. No one offered a course on 5ers. Only motor homes. If anyone has really gotten a 5er course, please share the name of the business!
Geostef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:15 PM   #37
coachgrowl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20448
My first 5th wheel keystone laredo 2005. Left the dealer with no trailer brake and did not know what that was. Took out a stop sign on the way home making too sharp a turn. Next time out I wiped out the entire left side of the trailer in the campsite rubbing up against a redwood fence $6,500 in damage. After those 2 incidents I decided 2 things slow down and act like you are not going to hit anything, 10 years and no more incidents. Lesson learned slow down and stop if in doubt. Do not worry what other people think do what you need to do. BTW towed to Alaska and back without any problem. The best driving school is you.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #38
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Wow talk about jumping into the deep end right off the bat. It's ok though. You will be fine IF you listen to all the advice of the good people on this site. Like many others said take it SLOW. Since you have a relative that is a truck driver have him drive the rig out to a big parking lot and help you learn the basics of tight quarters manuvers. That will give you some confidence before you hit the highway. Driving down the highway isn't all that difficult if you don't get into too big of a hurry and plan ahead. Main thing is remember that new rig won't stop on a dime (keep plenty of cushion in front of you!).
Make sure you get more than enough tow truck. You will never regret getting a larger truck but will instantly regret not having enough! It isn't the pull that gets you it's the STOP and STABILTY. Go for at least the 1 ton diesel dually 4x4 long bed! You won't regret it. Safety first and that starts by not pushing the tow capacity. Spend the extra money on things that matter (IE: better tires, best hitch you can get, tire monitor), if it is related to safety it is worth it!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:10 AM   #39
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
Get the dually for sure, a 40' rig requires a dually. The biggest thing to remember about a 5th wheel is that when making a turn, it cuts the corner...previous posters have mentioned making wide turns, that's why. Also, when backing move the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction you want the back end of the trailer to go.
Actually, LENGTH doesn't dictate what truck you need it's the actual gross weight of the fiver and it's pin weight and neither "require" a dually as long as you don't exceed truck specs.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:29 AM   #40
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Many trucking companies will offer a course in driving. Driving a 18 wheeler has a lot in common with towing a 5th wheel
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote