Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2015, 04:27 PM   #1
onekla
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12436
Tire stem length for TPMS

Just ordered TST flow through system and will be installing G614 tires as well. We know to run metal valve stems. Is there a certain length stem needed or use the angled ones?

onekla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
With the aluminum wheels, the very shortest stem that I can get to work with the flow through TST's is 2 inches. With that, I need to remove the set screw to turn them on, then install the locking screw. If there was a 2 1/2" stem available, that would work great. There are two styles of stems that I've seen, one that installs from the outside of the wheel, then another gasket and washer is installed on the inside with two nuts tightened against each other to keep them from coming loose. I have one of another style that installs from the inside, then a sleeve slips over the stem from the outside with a nut above that which secures the stem to the wheel. I wish it were just a bit longer, but I was able to get the sensor screwed on tight, but the set screw tightens into the threads of the stem.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:04 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
On my 2011 running non flow thru TST senders, I use 1.25" metal stems made for Enkei wheels (both nuts are on the inside of the wheel)I wonder why flow thru need so much more length??
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
With the design of the aluminum rims on our Ford F350, there is no way to get an air chuck on the valve stem when using the TST 507 system. We are going to change out all of our valve stems to ones with a 45 degree angle. Metal is a must and the shorter the valve stem the better. No extensions either, in case the spinning sensor loosens the extension.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
onekla
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12436
G614 tires and a TPMS on the Montana. So far, so good! Thanks for the comments.
onekla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Thought we would share an update on our search for angled metal valve stems. About two weeks after our post above we visited the auto repair shop in Ohio that we have used for years. He understood what we needed and called several of his longtime suppliers to find short metal 45 degree valve stems. None had them or knew where to find them. We found some on line but opted not to go that route since there was a question whether they would fit given the thickness and angle of the aluminum on our rims. Now that we knew the angled stems actually existed, we began a local search. We went to three chain auto parts stores, two chain tire dealers and a truck tire dealer. No luck! On the way home we passed a NAPA store and said lets try one more. The guy in the NAPA store said he didn't have them and never heard of them, but agreed to check his catalogs. He found two pages of angled valve stems. He copied the pages which we took to our repair shop. The shop showed us which stem they would recommend, still there was a question of the fit, which couldn't be answered until the old stem was removed. Back to the NAPA store with the info. They ordered the stems with the comment that if they don't work bring them back. Last week we had them installed, only needed 4 since the angles were not necessary on the inside dually's. Crisis resolved!
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote