Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2004, 06:49 PM   #1
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Campground

Ok so we all know you shouldnt throw your cigarette buts out the window. but here is a new twist on the reasons.
While heading to the campground we had the truck bed full of firewood. While on the way we started smelling something burning. Of course the wife thinks my truck has a problem. I tell here i dont smell anything. A littl efurther down the road I come to a stop sign.
While turning at the intersection I notice smoke pouring out from just behind the truck. I thought maybe my brakes were going bad so I pull over to check out the smoke.
Whell Im sure you can guess where the smoke was coming from. A cigarette but that the wife tossed out had gone into the bed of the truck and started the firewood on fire. The 55 mph wind had helped fan the flame. Luckily we didnt have the camper start on fire. Just a few pieces of wood and melted the bedliner a little.
I had to have the wife get into the camper and hand out some water to put the fire out.
The event was a little scary at first, But now it is funny. only cause nowone was hurt or anything was damaged.
Now she uses a pop can for an ash tray.
I told her i prefer to light the campfire at the campground from now on.
Merv

Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 07:11 PM   #2
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Oh wow.... that is a scary story that fortunately turned out okay. It could have been much worse. We are glad you are all okay!
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 12:40 AM   #3
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I did almost the same thing.Except the cigg butt went in the back seat of my truck.The seat was folded up with a moving blanet down so the cat had some where to sleep.We started smelling some thing burning-kept driving untill saw some smoke.My wife says the blanet is on fire.I pulled over got out,Went in the Montana got a big glass of water and put out the smoldering blanet.what an ordeal.Now we just cut the top off a coke can put a little water in it.Set it in the cup holder and throw the butts in their.I guess what we really need to do is stop smoking.But as you smokers know its easier said then done.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 04:18 AM   #4
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
OMG! That would have been scary, YIKES! Glad everything worked out ok. Just another reason not to smoke....
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 05:18 AM   #5
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
Many years ago we were following a pickup with three men in the back. Smoke was coming from a box next to the tailgate. We honked and flashed our lights and they pulled over. Seams one of them "threw" a cigarette out. It landed in a box of oily rags. To add to their embarrassment they were Portland Fireman and were traveling through the largest burn area in the state. An area of a 350,000 ac. fire the Tillamook Burn. Aa an old fire fighter I can tell you DON'T THROW OUT CIGARETTES. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 07:13 PM   #6
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thank goodness for not being a smoker. No worry about this problem. But life has many others. Thanks for the posting. Happyrving......
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:04 AM   #7
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Smokey the bear says it all Only you can prevent a fire. Out the window could cost someone else their life. I agree with Mev. Lite the campfire and use the ashtray.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:22 AM   #8
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
And the largest (known) forest fire in Colorado was started by a gal who only wanted to burn up some old love letters in a fire ring...

And she was a National Forest employee!

People do dumb things - sometimes we get lucky, sometimes we don't!

Al
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 03:33 AM   #9
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Treecounter

Many years ago we were following a pickup with three men in the back. Smoke was coming from a box next to the tailgate. We honked and flashed our lights and they pulled over. Seams one of them "threw" a cigarette out. It landed in a box of oily rags. To add to their embarrassment they were Portland Fireman and were traveling through the largest burn area in the state. An area of a 350,000 ac. fire the Tillamook Burn. Aa an old fire fighter I can tell you DON'T THROW OUT CIGARETTES. Treecounter
Good Grief!!!! all that "only you can prevent...' and FIREMEN do this!? I hope you gave 'em a hit in the head! Even here in Ks we have problems on our wildlife areas with fires started by 'flicked' cigs. Good idea on the soad can with water...
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote