Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2014, 06:36 AM   #1
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Anyone have a Bak Roll X tonneau cover

If anyone has the Bak Roll X tonneau truck box cover I would greatly appreciate your feedback on the cover. I understand Bak Industries is issuing a new and improved roll x
cover in March. Bak's national sales manager told me the latest model will have improved rails and he called it a heavy duty model.

dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I had a Pace roll back on a short bed truck and didn't like the canister since it took up so much room especially on the short bed. Then I traded for a new truck with a long bed and changed to Bak Industries BAKFlip and loved that other than getting used to the cover blocking the rear window when it was flipped backwards (learned to use the side mirrors real well), that a roll bak would probably have been okay. The BAKflip now sits in the garage because in my commercial RV towing days, I bought a low profile tool box for the truck bed that interfered with the cover. I hear that the bakflip has been improved, but mine was having trouble when the tape they use on the sharp edges started to fray away. I liked either cover even though neither was the Bak Industries roll back.

I no longer commercially tow, but the tool box is so large I now use it for security and the BAKflip is still in the garage. If I can ever design a 1 or 2 inch riser for the truck bed front and side rails so that it clears the tool box so I can reinstall the BAKflip, then that's what I'd like. For the tail gate area I'd have to design some kind of dropdown that attaches to the BAKflip. Being able to have the whole truck bed secure short of a camper shell is nice, hence the popularity of a tonneau type cover.

Btw - I have been to BAK industries in the San Fernando Valley about 90 miles from my house in southern California. I went there when I complained about the design of an early BAKflip. I had purchased this product when it first came out (probably a bad idea to buy version 1.0) They offered that if I brought the truck to them, they'd retrofit one of the improvements from their new design that fixed the problem. They converted the struts from the BAKflip to a more reliable rigid brace when the BAKflip was folded back against the truck cab.

I wonder if the heavy duty model means that you can stand on it. I didn't like that Bak Industries products could not hold much weight, IIRC about 50lbs? That's pretty much nothing. When I helped people move and used my truck. the BAKflip had to be left open since nothing could be placed on top of it (like a boxspring or mattress). This defeats the security I was hoping to gain with being able to keep the cover closed.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I have a BAK Flip (not roll-up) on my truck and it's held up well since 2009 except for when it got hailed on. It now looks like someone took a ball peen hammer to it but it is still functional and sheds rain & snow. I understand the new ones are more resistant to hail.
BTW, once it's folded, it will support over 200 pounds (I sometimes sit on it).
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That's correct CORATTLER. Each panel supports 50 lbs, so when each panel folds upon itself it becomes cumulative up to 200 lbs. Therefore, I understand the short bed with only 3 panels will only hold 150 lbs when it's folded back onto itself, but not folded all the way back to the truck's cab.

I forget the brands, but there are some roll-types that support 200 lbs or so but they were more expensive. I do wish they could sit above the truck rails a few inches to increase the amount of under cover securable storage and still secure these taller items when in the truckbed. When I had my BAKflip, on and I was not towing but still had the full fifth wheel hitch installed, the BAKflip has some contact damage where the hitch could nick up the BAKflip. But the benefits far outweighed the damage.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:16 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have the Bak Roll-X and have had no issues with it. Does block the view a bit when hitching up.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:44 AM   #6
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
Don't have any experience with the Bak Products.

But we do have the RetraxPro. Love it. One hand operation. sealed rollers. The box it retracts in to takes up very little room. Plus it locks in any position.

It is a little spendy but in doing my research I feel it is the best product out there. And I have no affiliation with the company. Just a really good product.
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #7
bennettommyd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12931
I have the BAK flip on my long bed. When I tow I only fold the first 3 panels up on the forth. I bungee the panels down and works great and you can use the rear window to a point, but I'm wondering if I'm hurting the fuel mileage by not folding to the back window. I really like the system.
bennettommyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
MrRobinGrimes
Established Member

M.O.C. #14034
2008 F250 with Bak Flip. LOVE IT. It covers the pullrite Superglide for daily driving and I just flip up 3 panels, resting on 4th panel, hook up and go. I like that is lays flat with bed rails when closed AND that I don't have to remove the bed cover to haul tall stuff. My father in law has the solid type cover on his truck bed and it takes two people to remove it if he wants to haul anything. I just have to remember to close tailgate before dropping last panel to ensure seal. The panels latch down automatically. Best bed cover I've every had. Highly recommended.
MrRobinGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:09 AM   #9
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
I've had a RollBak since 2006, and it's on it's second truck. It has worked well, and is great for keeping things secure once you get to your camping destination. The only problem I've had is the drain holes in the box plug easily with leaves and pine needles.
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote