Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2004, 09:06 AM   #21
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Theadamsfamily

After much reading ofthe forum and research, we took the plunge and purchased our first 5er (traded our TT). We looked at most of the floor plans and really liked several but in the end chose the Monty 3295RK. We plan to have the slider hitch installed by the dealer and pick the unit up in several days. I noticed in the Montana literature that you can retain the original tailgate on your truck and keep it down while towing. Can anyone confirm this and are there any issues to be aware of???

Do not tow with the tailgate down! You will damage your rig as well as the tailgate when you turn.

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 01:57 AM   #22
Montana_1280
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1280
Thanks for the heads up on closed tailgate. I have not lost anything, but will sure keep it in mind.
Montana_1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 12:48 PM   #23
Theadamsfamily
Established Member

M.O.C. #1793
Thanks to all who answered my original question.

We are now official Monties, Montonites, Montaniers????

We picked-up our 3295RK on Friday the 13th (somewhat nervous about this). The dealer installed the Reese 15K slider, they did the show and tell and we were off. Luckily the weather cooperated and we made the 80 mile trip back home with no mishaps or problems (I-95 can be a nightmare on Fridays). The Monty handled beautifully and was not near as cumbersome as I expected (after pulling a 6,500 lb TT). It took me a little longer getting the 5er backed into my driveway but I did not have to engage the slider. I made sure I left nothing in the bed on the trip back (made some purchases as Camping World of course) and will make sure in the future I tie anything down lest it will grow wings and fly away.

Thanks for all the advice..........
Theadamsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 01:33 PM   #24
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Congratulations on your new Montana, I know you'll love it. Now you can start giving it all those little touches that'll make it just yours. Just browse through the improvement section, you'll find a lot of great ideas
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 04:52 AM   #25
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Congrats on the new unit!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Theadamsfamily

Thanks to all who answered my original question.

We are now official Monties, Montonites, Montaniers????

We picked-up our 3295RK on Friday the 13th (somewhat nervous about this). The dealer installed the Reese 15K slider, they did the show and tell and we were off. Luckily the weather cooperated and we made the 80 mile trip back home with no mishaps or problems (I-95 can be a nightmare on Fridays). The Monty handled beautifully and was not near as cumbersome as I expected (after pulling a 6,500 lb TT). It took me a little longer getting the 5er backed into my driveway but I did not have to engage the slider. I made sure I left nothing in the bed on the trip back (made some purchases as Camping World of course) and will make sure in the future I tie anything down lest it will grow wings and fly away.

Thanks for all the advice..........
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:24 PM   #26
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
Congrats on the Montana - we're sure you'll just love it!

We have a long bed, with regular tail gate. I watched a 5 gallon plastic bucket start to do a wild dance, then VOOP! it was gone out the back while doing 70 MPH down the road! (Good exercise for your teenage son, by the way!) Don't ask me how I happened to catch it in the rear view mirror.

Also have never been able to keep the lid down on the cooler when it's in the bed either, but I haven't tried lots of duct tape.

Don't drive with the tailgate down, and
Don't put anything that's empty (and not tied down) in the bed either!
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:24 AM   #27
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Duct tape, you gotta love it! LOL We still laugh about our clothes flying out, it is funny now but it sure wasn't at the time!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by skyguy

Congrats on the Montana - we're sure you'll just love it!

We have a long bed, with regular tail gate. I watched a 5 gallon plastic bucket start to do a wild dance, then VOOP! it was gone out the back while doing 70 MPH down the road! (Good exercise for your teenage son, by the way!) Don't ask me how I happened to catch it in the rear view mirror.

Also have never been able to keep the lid down on the cooler when it's in the bed either, but I haven't tried lots of duct tape.

Don't drive with the tailgate down, and
Don't put anything that's empty (and not tied down) in the bed either!
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 05:36 AM   #28
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Congrats. on your new Montana, I know that you will love it. Now comes the voice of experence speaking. If you change tailgates, please be sure to use the cables and bolts to attach tailgate to pickup. They were put there for a purpose.
I changed to the v-gate and am very happy with it, it is well worth the money spent on it. I carry several things in the bed and have never lost a thing, knock on wood for me. When I am not pulling they tell me that I should get better milage,but have not checked it out.
Happy RVing.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 01:11 PM   #29
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Just as a reminder, we saw a rig recently where the entire left lower part of the front end was "crunched in" by a tailgate which was left (or not securely latched up and fell) in the open position. The driver made a sharp turn and ....sure wasn't pretty!
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 07:31 PM   #30
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Another grateful member here who will be watching their truck bed a little better and taking more care in what we pack there. We also use the solid original truck tailgate.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 02:16 PM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree with those who say don't leave anything loose in the bed of the truck. Well, I have a bad tire/rim sitting back there but it's not going anywhere. A few years ago, on vacation, a gentleman (and that he was) pulled in beside us when we pulled in to gas up. He told me he nearly got creamed (he was behind us) by a 2x8x12 that hit the bottom of our rig and bounced out behind. I had put a couple of those boards in the bed instead of unlocking the locker after I'd already locked it. Sure enough one was missing. So now I don't put anything of relatively light weight in the bed when on the road.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:18 AM   #32
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Thanks to Dave e Victoria for the idea of the carrier. I had a carrier and a box on the rear of my last unit. I was afraid of mounting a hitch on the back of our 3670 so I tried their idea. I now have the carrier and a delta box on the back of my truck. Lots of clearance on the turns.
Thanks Dave
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:30 PM   #33
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
One time while trucking down the road with a 5th wheel in tow, my eye caught a glimpse of something in the rear view mirror. I looked again and to my amazement was a lawn chair hovering near the back window of the truck. I shut down and tied them up. Things will lift out of the box if they are light enough. After that, I either tie them up or put them in storage. The was one of the wierdest things I have seen. I am still amazed I didnt lose it.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote