Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Another hitch question

I have the new R20k Reese hitch and for some reason it doesn't want to release the pin. I am new to fifth wheels, so a little extra careful of dropping this thing on my truck. I lowered the landing gear and the pin came up a small amount, enough to convince me I am not still sitting on the hitch. I moved the locking arm to the unlock position and attempted to drive the truck out from under. The whole trailer wanted to come with me, so I raised the pin some more and it did the same. So, I went back down with it thinking maybe I was too high and still no luck. Since I'm new to 5ers, I don't know if it's my technique ( or lack thereof), or there is something wrong with this particular hitch. Due to other mishaps during the PDI, by the time I was ready to drive out of the dealership, neither I nor the PDI guy were interested in fooling around with the hitch. It seemed pretty staight-forward to me, so I left and now I can't unhitch. Any ideas?
FWIW, I have the Mor/ride pin box.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Not sure what the R20K hitch mechanism is like but if you can, look behind the TV's pin then see if you can notice if the locking jaws move with the release handle. If the jaws aren't moving then that's the problem and you're gonna have to find a way to get the jaws open. This is a serious problem that needs to get fixed. But it's not as bad than the jaws not closing, then you'll never get the trailer hitched up.

I also found that if you try to unhitch when not lined up this can cause things to snag. Another problem is that the rig can be stressed against the truck's hitch plate. This has happened to me after long trips on rough roads and parking and things kind of get stressed. Making sure the landing legs are down and supporting the rig, you might try backing or moving forward to get the truck's hitch to release the pin. You should NOT have to move it too far. You might try raising the front of the rig even further and see if the truck goes up with it (locked together). Sometimes if you go high enough this will release the pin from the hitch, but be carefull you don't stress the landing gear as it tries to raise the weight of the rear end of the truck, too. This means the trailer's pin was caught in the truck's hitch (jaws). A mallet or hammer (be gentle!) might help coax things to come loose. But if some spring or latch is broken on the hitch I can't help any more than be there to see what is going on and figure it out.

Are you anywhere where you can seek help? Especially someone familiar with fifth wheels?

I had some of these problems early on, but over time everything comes loose quite easily, assuming nothing is wrong.

Good luck with this one.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Tried to pull up a picture that really shows it and couldn't. I have a Reese 20K head, but not exactly like yours. On mine the handle will turn, but to disengage the jaws you have to pull it out toward you. On mine there is a small swing type keeper that will keep the handle from coming toward you until you flip it up out of the way. On mine this is right against the head where the arm comes out of the head. there should be a hole in the end so you can put a lock on it. If that doesn't solve the problem call Reese: (800)632-3290. They are great to work with.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If they are like the BW hitch it is opaned with spring pressure and if the hitch is in a bind the jaws wont open until you releive the pressure on the hitch. Try backing your truck up a few inches.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sambam

I have the new R20k Reese hitch and for some reason it doesn't want to release the pin. I am new to fifth wheels, so a little extra careful of dropping this thing on my truck. I lowered the landing gear and the pin came up a small amount, enough to convince me I am not still sitting on the hitch. I moved the locking arm to the unlock position and attempted to drive the truck out from under. The whole trailer wanted to come with me, so I raised the pin some more and it did the same. So, I went back down with it thinking maybe I was too high and still no luck. Since I'm new to 5ers, I don't know if it's my technique ( or lack thereof), or there is something wrong with this particular hitch. Due to other mishaps during the PDI, by the time I was ready to drive out of the dealership, neither I nor the PDI guy were interested in fooling around with the hitch. It seemed pretty staight-forward to me, so I left and now I can't unhitch. Any ideas?
FWIW, I have the Mor/ride pin box.
I have an older Reese 20K hitch. My hitch has two fingers (jaws) that snap together to hold the pin in.

The newer hitches have a "J" hook that comes around and holds the pin in. Which one do you have?

With either of those hitches, I am not sure how the locking arm can move to unlock with out releasing the jaws or J hook on the pin.

There are times I have to back into the hitch a little to take the pull pressure off the pin and the jaws to successfully unhook.

I suggest you contact a REESE hitch dealer and have them check out your hitch and while you are there see if they will provide instruction on hitching and unhitching to a trailer.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Welcome to the forum.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Willie Boyd

M.O.C. #9849
I have a Reese 16K hitch. If I pulled forward and stop and put down the front legs I then have to back up just slightly to release the tension
before the handle will pull out. If I back in, I have to pull forward slightly before pulling the handle.
Willie Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
The locking jaws don't release with the handle. The PDI guy told me before I left that they would open when I pulled the truck forward. They did not. I don't think that it is stress. I tried reversing the truck back into the pin while unlocked, and pulled forward again with the same result. I have seen the weight come off the plate with room above and below the pin, indicating to me that I'm neither too high or low. This is a brand new hitch as well as the kingpin (Mor/ryde). Possibly need to work it a little more. I will try separating the jaws manually in the morning since it's dark now and I want to see what I'm doing. I appreciate you guys replies, non of which suggest I am a hack and have no idea what's going on. This is all new to me and it doesn't seem right. If you had told me to just hit the gas, it'll come out fine, I would have. But it's just not right, and that's a great idea to call Reese. I will if I have no more luck tomorrow.
On another note, the PDI went well, just 4 hours of issues with the 7 pin connector, the trailer pulls like a dream and I am psyched to have this sitting in my yard. Once I (we) clear up the little things like hitching and unhitching, life will again be good.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
B&W Companion
Old 03-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Here is one link for Reese operation on the new single jaw hitch.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #9
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Thank you, John. That's not my hitch. I know you asked what kind of jaw system I have. It is 2 part enclosing the pin. There is a separate part behind the jaws that grab the pin. Looks like a gear almost with maybe 4 teeth each side. They mesh together when the hitch is locked. Maybe these are the locking jaws? These are the parts that don't open when I unlock the hitch. The PDI guy said they would open as the truck pulls forward. This is a new hitch by Reese called the R20k. I'm going to look at the Reese web-site and see if anything makes sense.

B&W Companion
Old 03-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
warsw
Established Member

M.O.C. #13256
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sambam

The locking jaws don't release with the handle. The PDI guy told me before I left that they would open when I pulled the truck forward. They did not. I don't think that it is stress. I tried reversing the truck back into the pin while unlocked, and pulled forward again with the same result. I have seen the weight come off the plate with room above and below the pin, indicating to me that I'm neither too high or low. This is a brand new hitch as well as the kingpin (Mor/ryde). Possibly need to work it a little more. I will try separating the jaws manually in the morning since it's dark now and I want to see what I'm doing. I appreciate you guys replies, non of which suggest I am a hack and have no idea what's going on. This is all new to me and it doesn't seem right. If you had told me to just hit the gas, it'll come out fine, I would have. But it's just not right, and that's a great idea to call Reese. I will if I have no more luck tomorrow.
On another note, the PDI went well, just 4 hours of issues with the 7 pin connector, the trailer pulls like a dream and I am psyched to have this sitting in my yard. Once I (we) clear up the little things like hitching and unhitching, life will again be good.
This doesn't make sense. You must pull the handle to release the jaws. If they just released when you pulled forward then the trailer would come loose from the hitch whenever you tried to move. On most hitches the jaws will open when you back into the kingpin but usually even then you still need to release the locking mechanism. I think there was some misunderstood info passed on or the dealer didn’t understand how it worked either.

warsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
http://www.carid.com/universal-trail...l-3726970.html Check this site out. Then hit installation. See if this is your hitch.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:26 AM   #12
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lawrenceb42106

http://www.carid.com/universal-trail...l-3726970.html Check this site out. Then hit installation. See if this is your hitch.
Yes, this is my hitch. The instructions describe the unhitching clearly and when I followed them, I was able to unhitch the trailer. My problem was that I must have had too much pressure still on the pin and was unable to pull the handle out. It all makes perfect sense in hindsight. I know this is a major part of the PDI, especially being new to fifth wheel towing, and I blame myself for not going over it clearly while at the dealer. However, lesson learned, and thanks to everyone for offering so much help.

B&W Companion
Old 03-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #13
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Glad that helped you. We all have learning curves being new. This group will help you in many ways. Just ask away, as somebody has had these problems.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:46 AM   #14
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
You're not the only one that has had trouble releasing the hitch. We all have to play with it on occasion. you're not alone.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Thanks again for lending your expertise, and also your understanding qualities. More questions to follow......I'm one of you now, and I'm all in.

B&W Companion
Old 04-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #16
F3fifty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12628
I had the same issue with my 16K Reese Select the first time I went to unhook the 5ver after coming home from the dealer, realized I needed to clear the plate and take some pressure off the pin by moving the truck slightly forward or back. The handle on the 16 K will pull out and lock then check the jaws with a flashlite to assure they are open.
Hooking up the I always double check the see that the jaws are engaged before I lock down the handle. Glad to learn you figured it out and the folks on this forum are very - very helpful.
F3fifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #17
Nighthawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10340
Occassionally, I have had a problem unhitching our 3400RL. In almost every case, there was too much tension on the hitch and I couldn't pull the release handle out. I've now learned to put blocks behind the trailer wheels and back up just a little to relieve the pressure on the hitch. The landing legs only need to be touching the ground, not lifting the truck. Once the tension is relieved, the release handle pulls out easily. Then I simply drive forward.

Once, I didn't have the landing legs down, drove forward and the front of the trailer landed on the truck bed sides. OUCH!! Thank goodness there was no visible damage, except my ego.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:09 AM   #18
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
There are devices that you can add to the hitch to prevent that. Bed Saver is one. Cheap insurance.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #19
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
My 2013 Super Duty with the optional factory-installed Reese fifth wheel hitch has a "J" hook and I have had a similar problem. When the hitch was new it would release fine after the handle was pulled. With this type of hitch, the "J" hook does not pull completely clear of the path the king pin needs to follow to clear the hitch. After some use, after pulling and locking the release handle in the open position, when I would start to move the truck from under the pin box, the kingpin would hit the "J" hook and cause the handle lock to let go, closing the "J" hook again. The short term solution was to have my wife hold the release handle out while I pulled far enough ahead to allow the kingpin to clear the "J" hook. When I got home from that trip Ford could not offer a solution so I called Reese. Their rep said to remove the head from the hitch and spray a lot of lithium grease (available at most auto supply stores) on all the moving parts. I have done that but have not had the opportunity to test the solution. The rep assured me that they hear this complaint a lot and that the spray lithium grease always works. If I find out otherwise I'll add another post.
laverdur is offline   Reply With Quote