Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
"The rules aren't for me!"

Wayne and I just finished a 9-month park hosting contract at a public park on the Gulf Coast in Texas. During that time, I've gathered enough material to get a good start on a book, and even though we're not longer hosting, we are still in the park through the end of the month. The "you can't fix stupid" things continue, of course, so I'm still gathering photos and stories for my work:

Rule #5. No parking on the grass. Parking is allowed in paved and marked areas only:

And, last night around 11:00 PM, two rigs arrived, drove the wrong way through the park, and then pulled truck-first into back-in spots along the fence. Their electrical and sewer connections were on the "wrong" side, as were their entry doors. Didn't bother the drivers, though. They set up lights on tripods and worked noisily for about half an hour until they got their hoses and cables dragged under their rigs so that they could hook up on the other side. This morning they were told by the park supervisor to rig down, get out of the sites, and then re-enter them the right way (by backing into them). They said they didn't know you had to back into those sites. That should have been obvious by the location of the power pedestals and sewer connections, not to mention that pulling in like they did, without unhooking, left a good foot of their RVs sticking out into the one-way drive through the park. (If I'd still been working, I'd have stopped them last night, but the new park host seems to be a bit timid about enforcing the rules. He'll learn.)

Heck, I'll have a novel before we get out of here! It's hard to sit back and watch this kind of stuff go on day after day.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I repeat, I want a signed first edition!!!!!
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
No kidding, having worked for the COE, we've also seen it all, but I want a signed DVD when Chevy Chase makes the movie. By the way, our head ranger last summer had to call the Sheriff to get some high school kids to remove and dispose of the queen size mattress they'd thrown in the lake (to play on) and planed to leave there. Watching them trying to drag it out and load it in a pickup when it was full of water did provide entertainment for a number of campers. Watching the Sheriff follow them thru town, leaking water all over, all the way to the dump where they weighed it and made them pay by the pound was a lot of fun for others also. If that ones new to you, you may have it for your book at no extra charge.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Jim, I'll definitely reserve a first edition for you. I'm seriously considering going on tour, maybe to various MOC rallies*, and doing a stand-up comedy routine with the material I've gathered. The only problem is that I need some distance between me and this job so that I don't stand in front of the crowd and boohoo while trying to share my experiences. Good thing I don't have a permit to carry right now

One refreshing thing: Never, ever have Montana owners here in the park been guilty of the "Rules are not for me" attitude!

* We're planning to attend the June rally in Deer Park/Spokane. Maybe I'll do a trial run there.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Some folks are under the impression that the rules are really just "suggestions."
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #6
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Someone once said; "If I offend you, it's a misdemeanor but if you offend me, it's a FELONY!". Which may have nothing to do with this thread but sounds like it should.
After reading my own post I thought I should explain. In other words I can throw trash out around the campground but DON'T expect me to pick it up!
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Thanks for the post, would love to read a book about your experiences, too funny!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Carolyn,
Trust me, all of this will be funny to you after some time has past, and it won't take that much time.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #9
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
I'd like to get on the mailing list for the trilogy tht you are going to produce. My wife and I are applying at several places for workamping jobs for next winter. We have never done it before and would like all the helpful hints anyone could give us.
John
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

I repeat, I want a signed first edition!!!!!
Please!, I'd like one also! How could a Montana be complete without? Remember us, please!
Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
I am sure the "events" are entertaining at the least. would love to have a book if yo do publish one
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Count me in if you put a book out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Any body that has dealt with the public for very long could wright a book. I'm going to title mine You ain't going to believe this.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
Sky
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9806
If you put this book out, you are going to be more popular than Tom Clancy. Add my name to that list for the first addition.
Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Carolyn-- Add our names to the list if you publish the book! If you want to promote it a little come on out to Nebraska for the Central Plains Regional Rally(CPRR), July 24th-29th! It's a good little rally to meet some really great MOC members and let us show you two some Nebraska hospitality along with it! Good luck and keep us in mind for the summer! In fact, think about attending the Fall Rally in Goshen too. You'll be able to pick up a lot of pointers there and more than likely pick up more stories to add to your book! It's the 10th Anniversary for the Fall Rally and should be a good one!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #16
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Hey Carolyn did you know you can self-publish through Amazon and then sell the book on their website! I would buy one in a heartbeat! I follow your posts just for this kind of dirt!

Hey Rondo I really wish I could make your rally in Nebraska! Unfortunately, we committed to help run the Renaissance Fair at the zoo this coming summer and it falls on those dates. The commitment was made last September so we couldn't back out! SORRY! We would have loved to have seen you two again! Hope you have a wonderful rally!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote