Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
New RV pad

I live in the country about 5 miles from town. Had a 28 foot 5th wheel RV parked between our house and a barn. Bought a new 37 ft Big Sky and the old RV spot was to small. Just finished pouring a cement pad 24ft wide by 60ft long. Have water next to the pad and am now installing a 30 amp service next to the pad. The Big Sky has a 50 amp service and 2 air conditioners but the 30 amp service will do to run just one of them. I wanted the big pad so we could have the slides out when needed. A roof will come later.

Frank

maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Nice!!! I hope you post a picture so some of us can drool.

If it were up to me, I would have gone with the 50 amp shore power since you're running it new anyway. You can get by with 30 amp but if you ever need 50 amp for whatever reason, you'd have it, then can still only use 30 amp if you wanted.

If I had two A/Cs and accidently turned both on at the same time and had a brown out I would be so bummed if I had to pay for a new A/C or two because I had an old-guy moment and forgot. Anything with a motor experiencing a brown out, like an A/C can fail. Hopefully, others will be along and mention other devices that have motor windings that can fail in a brownout. Then if you still stick with 30 amp, maybe you can put some warning signs on their power buttons to check before you fire them up with only 30 amps available.

I only have 15 amps from my garage to the trailer. If I need more power because we have people staying over, we run out of bedrooms in the stickhouse and we use the trailer for overflow I have to bring out my dual gennys to get 30 amps (I only have 1 A/C). Having a 50 amps at the house would make for so much better convenience. Then I must give the big speech to our guests that even though the trailer looks like a stickhouse, it's not, so they don't overload anything. Sometimes depending on the guest, I open the power distribution panel and start turning off things to minimize accidents. Another hassle for me.

But that's my story and why I'd go for 50 amps if I was going to do anything new. In your case, you might not have these concerns.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Glad you have a nice place to park it. Bring those pictures along when you get a chance. I haven’t poured any concrete where I keep ours parked at but I know that certainly would make things a lot nicer.

Also on the electrical hook ups if it was me and I was installing it now I would opt for the 50 amp. I presently have a 30 amp hook up which serves us well but wish at times I did have the 50. Maybe an up-grade is coming in the future.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:16 AM   #4
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
Congrats. I know you will enjoy it. My dream would be a covered pad to keep my unit out of the Florida sun.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We have had a pad for several years. When we bought our Monty , we improved the pad but left the 30a ser . It does the job very well but I continually think about upgrading it to 50a. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:48 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Sounds like a well thought out plan
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:56 AM   #7
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
May still look at putting a 50amp box in. The 200amp service on my big barn is already serving a shop,storage rooms, corral lights and another smaller barn and it is at its limit. The house 200amp service has a hot water heater,clothes dryer, cooking range, deep freeze, 4 ton air conditioner, hot tub, outside flood lights and many smaller items and a 30amp RV service will put it right at its max. PG&E loves me.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sounds like a great set up. I was in a seminar with a retired Goodyear tire engineer last month and he recommended if you park for long periods on a concrete pad you get some cheap plastic place mats from a garage sale and put them under the tires. He said that the chemical they put into the tires to try and retard the aging process is leached out by a chemical in the concrete. He said that's why you see the black marks under tires that have been on concrete for a period of time. Don't know how big a deal it really is, but I'm going to the garage sales and pick up four for 25˘. It can't hurt.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have a pole barn to keep our 2955 in but when we bought the 36REQ we had 6 inches to spare putting it in. We decided to install a bump out for $2000.00. We figured 1 slip on the break would pay for itself. We never tried putting it in until the garage was extended. A new RV usually cost more than the actual RV.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote