Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
napa valley-sonoma

Since I have gotten great advice before on a grand canyon trip and also the Tampa Rv show last year, I thought I would try again.
This fall we are flying to napa valley/sonoma area. We want to do some sightseeing on the wineries and maybe a side trip to San Francisco. Also maybe somewhere to see the redwoods. Any Suggestions on what to see? We are definitely going to see how they grow wine grapes out there as we grow concord grapes for Welches,like to see the differences. All your advice has helped before so,here I go again.
Thanks in advance for the help.

racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
In Napa Valley our favorite winery is Sterling Winery (great tour) near Calistoga. We are also very fond of Silver Oak wine tasting room (pricey but real good so worth the price!) off Hwy 101 by Cloverdale or Geyserville. These wineries are about 80 - 100 miles from SF. We like the towns of Healdsburg and Calistoga and there are several wine tasting rooms (like La Crema, mmmmm good) because not all wineries have open vineyards. There are so many other wineries and things to see, others will post their favorites.

Fall is a beautiful time to go. There are MANY places to go nearby. For example, Golden Gate National Recreation Area (with Redwood trees) directly north of San Francisco, Point Reyes north of that and Bodega Bay west of Napa Valley (remember Alfred Hitchcock's movie "The Birds" - maybe you'll recognize some of it).

As for San Francisco, there's Pier 39, Ghiradelli Square, the Cable Cars, China Town, Coit Tower, Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz Island, SF Bay tour cruises, Treasure Island (between SF and the Oakland - great views at night), Fort Point (base of GG bridge, south side), Golden Gate Park, and the Palace of Fine Art.

Lombard Street is a beautiful, windy, skinny and steep street to test your merit. I drove this in my Crew Cab, Long Bed Full size F-250 (22' long) and DW was tentative, but she knew I'd driven it plenty of times. It is doable if you hug the outside curves as you turn. You cannot back up, it is one way and if you are not sure of yourself don't try - there are plenty of black scrapes and nicked concrete from the sloppy drivers. People that see you do this will stare in disbelief. Ignore them! It's also fun to walk up then down because with the altitude the views are awesome. I prefer coming down after a strenuous walk up. Immediately south of Lombard is Greenwich street. It is so steep and straight down I think it's now closed off, but it's worth the one block over to take a glance. It's the only street I was on in first gear and still had to mash the brakes (in a Ford Expedition and a Ford Van years ago. The yelling and screaming from the back seat passengers was hilarious)!!!

Drive any of the northeast quadrant of the town east of Hwy 101 (Van Ness Ave). The streets are mapped horizontally and vertically in that area, but you'll be surprised at the altitudes they climb and drop! These are the hills that are shown when depicting much of the town.

Warning, parking can be tricky but I have driven and parked my current TV (sans Monty) around most of these areas.

Okay, I better leave attractions for other MOCers to post. (Can you tell we love those areas!!!)
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
To cap off an evening in San Francisco, remember the Buena Vista Bar. It is at the Warf end of the cable car line, and is credited as the birth place of Irish Coffee. They make them several at a time on the bar, and it is a hoot to watch. Also a hoot to sip on a chilly night next to the bay!!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Art,Walt, thanks for the replies. A lot of good idea's, I don't know if a week will be enough but it will be exciting to go there. My wife is just thrilled with this trip.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:15 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Take the wine train in Napa.
Happy Trails
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The Muir Woods National Monument is a good place to see redwoods. Just a few miles north of the Golden Gate bridge.
The Humbolts Woods and Avenue of the Giants is even better, but may be a little far for just a side trip.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
the napa wine train looks good and we did get some info on muir woods. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Lunch in Sausalito looking from the otherside...is nice too.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Here is our update. stayed in Santa Rosa a very nice area. Toured many wineries in both Napa and Sonoma, Art, you are right about sterling winery what a beautiful place,and good wine too!! the ride is nice up the hill. we also went to the winery that is built as a castle,can't remember the name of course.. also excellent. ended up shipping wine home from 3 or 4 different places. Also had a 6 pack in a suitcase to bring to Nashville for our son and daughter-in-law. The only hard part was getting from one side to the other in that area those cross highways thru the hills twisty and turny!!!!. saw the redwoods,wow!!! took highway 1 down to San Francisco,quite a ride, Pier 39 area was great to see,took a cruise around Alcatraz,under the golden gate, saw the sea lions on the dock. Ghiradelli Square,(good chocolate) the Cable Cars, China Town, then we took a ride to Lombard st. that was neat. My wife after the first time down says go around and do it again!! went up and down some of the hilly streets. After that we did do the Napa wine train a very nice trip and a good meal. So much more to say but I'll keep it short. I want to thank everyone for their responses your ideas and suggestions made it a wonderful trip,loved the way they kept their vineyards and how different they grow wine grapes from juice grapes. from there we headed to Vegas for a few days and ended up in Nashville to see the grand kids and went trick or treating with them. that alone was worth the trip. Those with grand kids will understand that. Again thanks for all of your help.