Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2008, 02:14 AM   #21
windquest2

M.O.C. #8811
It is interesting you should mention the little computer brought to the table. We currently are living in Venezuela, they have the device and use it. Almost every foreign country we have visited have just that device. Debit cards are used extensively and you have a little wired device to enter pin numbers. I can't believe the US isn't on top of all of this. I would also add, that in Venezuela, we only use cash and in other countries, the ATM to get cash...seems better that way. And only at inside bank ATM's, card cloning at ATM's has been going around for ages.
Henry

windquest2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:30 AM   #22
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
When I order pizza or chicken delivery they use a device that uses the cell system. In restaurants it is a FM radio system tied to their sales register system. Both have their own security issues. I read only this week that VISA and Motorola are trialing a system that uses a chip in specially modified cell phones to pay for purchases. You just open your phone, key in a PIN and then wave it at a sensor. All this is so business can make money. Let them therefore take the risk of fraudulent use. In fact there are limits to a card holders liability. The problem, as already stated, is that identity theft leaves a nasty credit trail that can be hard to erase. You have to prove you are innocent. A good move by the lawmakers would be to reverse that onus.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:38 PM   #23
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Those "wave" the credit card are dangerous for the user. Anyone with a monitor standing in line can capture the identification, then duplicate it. It's nice to make things easier for people, but dumb to let security go down the drain!

Edited: any credit card I have that has a chip, I smash the chip with a hammer on the ground (or bench press). it still can be scanned the normal way.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:44 AM   #24
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sgtpp214

I check our credit card accounts on line on a daily basis to confirm charges and to watch for any charges I or the DW didn't make. Takes only a few minutes for peace of mind.
We do the same. When DW went to work last spring, a young woman (not a lady) at work stole her debit card. She saw charges online the next morning. The thief wiped out our checking account (actually overdrew the account). The girl was dumb enough to have the merchandise shipped to her address. I managed to get on the phone and have all the orders canceled immediately. One of the places wanted the order number. We went ballistic. "We didn't order it, how can we have the order number?" One of the large orders was on the Abercrombie & Fitch website. When I talked with their security department, they seemed to not want to help us at all. He too wanted to tell me they could not locate the order without the number. After talking at length, I persuaded him to search the orders by location. He found two orders in Texas using our last name, one being shipped to the girl's address in Rockport. I provided all the information to the Rockport Police. My wife continued to call them to no avail. About three months later she received a call from them, claiming they had overlooked the case. (there's that AZ beachfront property again). My wife did go by and ID her from a mug shot; don't know if they ever prosecuted her or not. And sure you can get the charges reversed on your account, but once they go through, it is a much longer process than while the charges against your account are pending. I went through that before, and it took weeks to get the money back in my account, plus involving paperwork disputing the charges.

Sorry that is so long, but I get worked up just thinking about it. Try to work and be honest, and you end up the victim. The criminals have all the rights! And when it comes down to it, the cops had rather write a speeding ticket than investigate a crime.

BTW, I was told these thieves order merchandise online, then take it to the nearest store and get a cash refund.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:50 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a cap on our accounts at our bank that nothing over 1000.00 can be processed without our approval. That includes us and includes any card issued by that bank, Debit, Credit checking and savings accounts. We also have a credit monitor with the 3 major credit report outfits that lock out our credit reports so no one, can access them and it works. When we leased the new Honda the dealer could not access our credit report and we had to unlock it. We get a monthly report on our credit reports and a instant alert on changes. This is not something we just did but have been doing it for a long time.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote