Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Formaldhyde

Does anyone know if Keystone produces a formaldhyde (sp) free 5th wheel or travel trailer? Or SOB produces one?

syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Probably not. In general, it is used in the manufacture of thin insulated walls using polymers and in carpeting and some glues. I could be wrong. Perhaps some manufacturer produces one.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:18 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have owned two Keystone 5th wheels, Everest 343L and Cambridge 358 and never had a formaldehyde problem. And for they matter the other 3 5th wheels (SOB) didn't have a problem with them. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:03 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Pilgrim took 4 years to design a "green" trailer, but, sadly, they went belly up before they got it to market. I hear rumors the owner will sell the idea to other manufacturer?????? Not sure that was formaldhyde free, but it was made of a lot of recycled materials, etc.

We had some trouble with formaldhyde when our unit was new, the solution was time and airing the unit out as much as possible.

Have not done so in last 9 months, or so, but, the test for me, is to visit a dealer lot, walk into new units that have been shut up. Can I stay in them more than 2 minutes?? Usually not. The sting in the eyes brings tears immediately and burning in the back of my throat. Maybe that has diminished some, but, somehow I doubt it.

In the past a lot of the problem was the carpets, glues, stuff like that.

Some people are much more sensitive to this than others.

Let us know if you find out anything more.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:33 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have had no problems with our Big Sky or for that matter any other Montana we have been in. The only time we had a problem with formaldehyde was in our Jayco. We had to do a three day "burn in" which consisted of running the furnace to keep the temp at or about 85 and keep the windows open. It worked but when left for a few days shut up it had to be aired out again. When looking at new rigs we were in Florida and the weather was in the mid to high 80s and we didn't notice any formaldehyde burn in any of the rigs. I think the best test is to enter a rig that has been closed up for a bit and see if you feel anything in the way of burning, if so then leave and cross that one off your list... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:34 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
RVIA has adopted the California standards for formaldhyde levels in RVs. Beginning in January 2009, and going into full effect somewhere around mid 2010 the RVIA members are to be in full compliance.

Having breathing difficulties, I think if I were purchasing a new RV, I would require it be tested before purchasing. If we continue with the RV lifestyle, and purchase a new fifth wheel, it will probably be after the change in 2010 anyway.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:53 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Neither our 04 or 07 Montys had a formaldhyde odor of any kind.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:58 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Our 2000 never experienced any formaldehyde smell.

orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 06:47 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
There are folks out there that are very sensitive to formaldehyde, even in some stick house insulations. I know everybody's heart is in the right place, but it really doesn't matter to these folks whether or not YOU have had any problems in your rigs, or whether or not you can smell it.

It is a legitimate concern for those hypersensitive to the chemical and has resulted in legislation for disclosure on homes construction because of the hardship it can cause these people that are unaware they have it until they are exposed.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:46 AM   #10
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Thank you one and all for your input. I have copied the replies & will send them to my friend who is so sensitive to formaldyhe that her eyes start burning before she goes up the steps.
Thanks again.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:59 PM   #11
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
My wife is chemically sensitive and has not had a problem with our rig. We did buy the floor model that was made in Dec and sold to us in July. It either had a lower level to start with or the open/close for 6 months aired it out enough. Have not had any problems. When we look at trailers, some we can't even go into because of the chemicals. Most of them I don't even notice. My wife is the decider on this issue.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:29 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It is a known fact that there are many who are super sensitive to things like formaldehyde. We have a daughter-in-law who refused to come to our house back in '78 because she couldn't handle the formaldehyde odor in our mobile home. We didn't notice it. She has since been in our Montana and she told me she didn't sense any formaldehyde odor.

In this thread, I, along with others, merely have added our experiences with our Montanas just for informational purposes. None of us are not sensitive to those who have a problem with formaldehyde. Please forgive me if I sounded like I didn't understand how others have reacted to formaldehyde.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 05:36 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Orv,

Only the sniffer on the end of your face knows!!

We had a custom van once, the "F" was so bad I cannot even put it into words, and it lasted for well over a year! Every hot day you would have to open the doors and leave em open for 5 minutes before you could get in and drive away.

Glenn had no trouble with his 2004, ours built a few weeks later, we had some trouble, compared to that van, it was nothing, but, seriously, I had to leave a window open for a while, with the Air running.

When we go into units in the RGV, or anywhere for that matter, in the summer/warm months, if that unit has been closed up tight, I will not last 2 minutes, neither will Al. Air em out, for a few hours, and we can stand it.

Nose that knows!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:50 AM   #14
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I am sensitive to the chemicals. I have had my unit for a year now. It was at the dealer for 6 months before I purchased the unit. I still have to open up and air out if we leave it closed up. I leave a vent open while camping in the bathroom and the living area. this lets fresh air in to move around. It helps but I think time is the only thing that gets rid of the throat burn and eye sting. Usually in two years its not a problem.
This is just mho.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote